BioShock DLC Puts You In Elizabeth's Shoes

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
BioShock DLC Puts You In Elizabeth's Shoes

Putting Booker in a dress would be a betrayal, but it'd also be as funny as hell. Just saying.

"We have to be ever so careful to not betray what the player has already experienced of Liz in Infinite and what they're going to experience of Liz in the first part of the DLC," says level designer Amanda Jeffrey. Yes, you'll be playing as Elizabeth in Burial At Sea [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126433-BioShock-Infinites-Burial-at-Sea-Returns-to-Rapture], the Rapture-based add-on to Infinite's Columbia shooting spree. The story's still about Booker and Elizabeth, and the second part "is very much her story," says Jeffrey. Putting you in her shoes is what that part of the story's all about, something that Ken Levine believes you're going to love. Assuming they fit, of course. I'm guessing she's somewhere in the 5.5 range?

"If we were to just put Booker in a dress," says Jeffries, "then that would be the most awful betrayal of what we're doing for Liz." No doubt deviantART already has a solution to that problem, but Jeffries is hoping to reassure gamers that, both from a personality and a play perspective, it won't be the BioShock you're familiar with. Using your brain, not your BFG, will be key to getting through the DLC. Ken Levine's drawing on a love of Buffy to create a situation in which emotional danger, rather than physical, is what draws the player in to the action. "The stake of survival," Levine says, "Is one everyone knows isn't real, so that's not very powerful." But other stakes, more emotional risks, can be much more interesting to play with.

"More than anything," says Jeffries, "we are trying to focus on making sure that the feel of playing as Elizabeth, and just moving through the environment, is a very different experience." That might mean playing with your keypad and controls, or it might mean playing with your mind. As for her power set, "she is not entirely godlike" is as much as Jeffries is prepared to say right now. Don't expect to Tear your way to a happy ending. As for exactly when this is due, no firm date has been announced, but sometime before March 2014 is the anticipated date.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/07/how-playing-as-elizabeth-changes-bioshock-infinite]

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
I love that picture up there. It raises so many questions about the story of the DLC. I can't wait! :D

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
but sometime before March 2014 is the anticipated date.
[HEADING=3]before March 2014 is the anticipated date[/HEADING]
[HEADING=2]before March 2014[/HEADING]
[HEADING=1]March 2014[/HEADING]
That'll be two years after the original (but missed) release date of BioShock Infinite.

Grr, I know you can't rush art but I'm still craving any kind of BioShock, Infinite or otherwise!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Karloff said:
As for exactly when this is due, no firm date has been announced, but sometime before March 2014 is the anticipated date.
And that is one of the problems with DLC for single player games. Unless they are a long game with a lot of re-playability then there isn't much value in keeping them once they are completed. Not to mention it's a new console generation so many people will also trade in or sell their consoles before then.

I suspect a lot of people won't have a copy of it any more by the time it comes out. Unless they really, really wanted DLC that badly.

Personally I think it looks good, but not enough for me to have the copy sitting on the shelf collecting dust, or the possibility of me not even having the console to play it on by the time it is released.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Hurry up and earn my money!

I love the promise of using brains rather than guns.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I'm alright with longish development cycles for DLC. It makes them look like they wanted to craft something new using the same system rather than just withholding something for a later cash in.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Karloff said:
Ken Levine's drawing on a love of Buffy to create a situation in which emotional danger, rather than physical, is what draws the player in to the action. "The stake of survival," Levine says, "Is one everyone knows isn't real, so that's not very powerful." But other stakes, more emotional risks, can be much more interesting to play with.
...you had me at Buffy.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
WouldYouKindly said:
I'm alright with longish development cycles for DLC. It makes them look like they wanted to craft something new using the same system rather than just withholding something for a later cash in.
Clash in the Clouds feels kinda cobbled together in a weekend. It's frustrating that it starts you off so weak then gives you gear that you can't take off that uses your health when you run out of salt ¬_¬

Hopefully the next one is good, and hopefully with the time we'll be waiting it's rather rich in content.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Legion said:
Karloff said:
As for exactly when this is due, no firm date has been announced, but sometime before March 2014 is the anticipated date.
And that is one of the problems with DLC for single player games. Unless they are a long game with a lot of re-playability then there isn't much value in keeping them once they are completed. Not to mention it's a new console generation so many people will also trade in or sell their consoles before then.

I suspect a lot of people won't have a copy of it any more by the time it comes out. Unless they really, really wanted DLC that badly.

Personally I think it looks good, but not enough for me to have the copy sitting on the shelf collecting dust, or the possibility of me not even having the console to play it on by the time it is released.
Of course it suits PC players more, but that's no good for consolers and not a decision multi-platform devs would make consciously, for the most part. With no real used games market for PC, those gamers would still have their copy and would at worst have to reinstall the game once the DLC pops.

Still odd though. There'll be late adopters but surely most (or at least a large number) of the folks who picked the game up in the early days will have lost a lot of interest in a game like this by then.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I'm just waiting for one big blob package of DLC adventures sewn together into a nice big expansion pack hearty enough to count as it's own game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
2014?! God DAMN that's a looonnnggg wait. Considering people were already bitching about no DLC 2 months ago, they're REALLY pushing people's patience with this one. The guy at GameStop hooked me up with a free season pass code, so this one's on the house for me....but still.....another 7 months?

Or another way to read the article is that they were saying the SECOND part of the DLC is Elizabeth's story...does that mean the first part - Booker's story - will be out sooner? o.o

DVS BSTrD said:
I hope she still has some powers
<spoiler= I wanna make some Andrew Ryan do a Tommy Wiseau impression>
http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/youre-tearing-me-apart-lisa-4055_preview.png
Would you kindly come outside and throw a football with me?

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
Damn you Dragon's Crown! For some reason I kept viewing the Thumbnail for this article as a little sister hiding behind Elizabeth's awkwardly disproportionate breasts.

Hopefully by the time this comes out Bioshock Infinite will be cheap enough for my cheapskate self to buy... it's so funny when you're 1-2 years behind everyone else with what you're playing.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Holy shit. You know, I was talking to a friend about this DLC, immediately after we heard it was a thing- "Man, wouldn't it be cool if you actually played *as* Elizabeth? And maybe even got to explore Rapture without murdering every single person in it?"

And we both laughed, because it wasn't gonna happen.
Now we're playing as her, and it looks like she'll be less of a maniac. Life is good.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
joshuaayt said:
Holy shit. You know, I was talking to a friend about this DLC, immediately after we heard it was a thing- "Man, wouldn't it be cool if you actually played *as* Elizabeth? And maybe even got to explore Rapture without murdering every single person in it?"

And we both laughed, because it wasn't gonna happen.
Now we're playing as her, and it looks like she'll be less of a maniac. Life is good.
Exactly this. It seems like Levine actually took on board a lot of the criticisms aimed at Infinite.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Wait, we have to wait until sometime next year? Will anyone still care?

I mean, Infinite kinda/sorta was both a frankenstienian boondoggle of various unfinished versions of the game, and a derivative shooter bolted onto a story that would suit a point-n-click adventure game.

And story was pretty much an episode of Doctor Who by way of Boardwalk Empire.

Not like it's a got a lot of dangling threads to exploit.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
The Elizabeth experience: scavenging around for guns, coins, and potions to toss at your companion for three hours.
And every once in a while you get to pick a lock \o/.

It'll be thrilling.