Bioshock for the MAC

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
So it seems that finally, more than two years after its original release Mac users' will get to play the game of the year...for 2007.

Yes that's right Mac fans, Bioshock has been ported by Feral Interactive to give you (possibly a first hand) look into Rapture.

Said the spokesman:

"The look and feel of BioShock is breathtaking," said Feral Interactive's David Stephen. "Combined with the remarkable depth and sophistication of the storyline, as well as the pure adrenaline rush of playing, BioShock will set new benchmarks for Mac gaming."
The game will retail in North America for US $49.95, £34.99 in the UK and 39.95 euros throughout Europe on Oct. 7th.

Just thought I'd let the gaming community/Mac users know that you know longer have to turn to Spore or Sims. You know have Bioshock!

-Source: BioShock hitting Mac next month [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/24/bioshock-hitting-mac-next-month/]

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Skarin said:
Said the spokesman:

"The look and feel of BioShock is breathtaking," said Feral Interactive's David Stephen. "Combined with the remarkable depth and sophistication of the storyline, as well as the pure adrenaline rush of playing, BioShock will set new benchmarks for Mac gaming."
Lol it will be THE benchmark for Mac Gaming, there arent any other good games for mac.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Aardvark said:
Why on earth do you need a mac port when you have bootcamp?
Maybe it's for the same reason why Linux "Wine" doesn't run some Windows game. I think emulators have inherent issues with game compatibility, but don't quote me on that...I am not sure of the actual answer. Besides if Bootcamp worked wouldn't all Mac users have unrestricted access to all Windows games and the proverbial "Mac's can't play games" argument be moot?

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Bootcamp is an emu - it allows you to install windows directly to the MAC hardware - so unlike wine it's not a windows in unix emulator - it's running direct.

My two cents is the reason why most Mac users don't have bootcamp is they don't know enough about computers to set it up, afterall they bought a Mac in the first place.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Skarin said:
Aardvark said:
Maybe it's for the same reason why Linux "Wine" doesn't run some Windows game. I think emulators have inherent issues with game compatibility, but don't quote me on that...I am not sure of the actual answer. Besides if Bootcamp worked wouldn't all Mac users have unrestricted access to all Windows games and the proverbial "Mac's can't play games" argument be moot?
Well they still need a copy of Windows, which has to be paid for. Understandably, not all of us want to pay for a second OS just to play games on. Fortunately, I have a friend that always has a spare copy of the latest Microsoft OS.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Sampler said:
Bootcamp is an emu - it allows you to install windows directly to the MAC hardware - so unlike wine it's not a windows in unix emulator - it's running direct.

My two cents is the reason why most Mac users don't have bootcamp is they don't know enough about computers to set it up, afterall they bought a Mac in the first place.
Or maybe we just don't want to pay a silly amount for an inferior OS? Yeah, I reckon it's that one.

People don't buy macs to play games, sure maybe they'll pick up a few casual games but it's not the really their primary concern when looking for a computer. If it was, they wouldn't buy a mac.

Edit: Apologies for the double post, just got a little annoyed by the sterotyping going on.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Skarin said:
Aardvark said:
Yeah, it pretty much is. Windows runs directly on the computer: it's not an emulator, it's a completely dedicated partition of the hard drive dedicated to Windows. Thus, Mac users can set up Windows rather easily.

So now the only good reason to settle for a non-Mac is price. But you get what you pay for...

And for the record, I agree with Eagle: the Mac stereotyping is stupid. I'm not sure I've ever met someone who hates Macs and actually knows anything about them: it's just uninspired trolling, really.

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
Kruxxor said:
Lol, Mac users. LOL.
Lol alright, be nice!. Mac users are an integral part of the gaming community and it's nice to know that they can now play one of coolest games out there. Who knows, if more companies steps up and make ports for various games Macs could end up being a major player in the gaming world.

And please...don't flame Mac's and their users. No matter what the urge!.

Thaius said:
Skarin said:
Aardvark said:
Yeah, it pretty much is. Windows runs directly on the computer: it's not an emulator, it's a completely dedicated partition of the hard drive dedicated to Windows. Thus, Mac users can set up Windows rather easily.

So now the only good reason to settle for a non-Mac is price. But you get what you pay for...

And for the record, I agree with Eagle: the Mac stereotyping is stupid. I'm not sure I've ever met someone who hates Macs and actually knows anything about them: it's just uninspired trolling, really.
Agreed, but just for clarification..isn't bootcamp a windows emulator?.

At any rate, there is the issue of system requirements and Mac's not supporting Intel integrated chipsets meaning that some new games may be beyond the Mac's reach. Though Bioshock bypasses this if you have "the latest generation of MacBooks and Mac Minis".

Woem

May 28, 2009
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
Skarin said:
Said the spokesman:

Lol it will be THE benchmark for Mac Gaming, there arent any other good games for mac.
Lies, all lies! There's Baldur's Gate 2 for Mac (which came out one year after the PC version) and, euh, Quake Live!

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Woem said:
There's Baldur's Gate 2 for Mac (which came out one year after the PC version)
Really?
That's the only game I really play on PC! Looks like I can get a MAC and still be happily gaming!
Plus you can actually run WINE on MACs too (Not just Linux machines), so in theory you could happily play Crysis on a Mac Pro.

MACs aren't so bad. I think they are over priced for what they are, but the OS is solid. Not for games, mind, but still a solid OS.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Woem said:
There's Baldur's Gate 2 for Mac (which came out one year after the PC version)
Really?
That's the only game I really play on PC! Looks like I can get a MAC and still be happily gaming!
Plus you can actually run WINE on MACs too (Not just Linux machines), so in theory you could happily play Crysis on a Mac Pro.

MACs aren't so bad. I think they are over priced for what they are, but the OS is solid. Not for games, mind, but still a solid OS.
I can definitely recommend IE6 [http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/] without any issue, and without having to do anything fancy. It's basically IE6 as any regular app.

hebdomad

May 21, 2008
Skarin said:
Lol alright, be nice!. Mac users are an integral part of the gaming community and it's nice to know that they can now play one of coolest games out there. Who knows, if more companies steps up and make ports for various games Macs could end up being a major player in the gaming world.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Integral part of the gaming community? When was the last Mac gaming exclusive that brought the gaming world to its knees? Where is its Halo or Gran Trismo or Mario? If the mac disappeared from gaming. Nobody would care.
The Golden age for mac gaming is dead!

The only hope Apple has in the world of gaming is the I-phone (which is pretty good to be honest).

I think Mac users will agree with me, publishers DO see the mac as a second rate platform. Publishes have screwed over the mac, time and time again, to the point when the mac GETS a game like 'Bio Shock' even when it's two years late, mac users jump up and rejoice.

And before you call me a PC heretic, I DO use macs nearly every day for work... It's a love/hate relationship.

Omni-Bot

Jul 5, 2009
Woem said:
Lies, all lies! There's Baldur's Gate 2 for Mac (which came out one year after the PC version) and, euh, Quake Live!
Gears of War and CoD4 are available for Mac.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Skarin said:
Integral part of the gaming community? When was the last Mac gaming exclusive that brought the gaming world to its knees? Where is its Halo or Gran Trismo or Mario? If the mac disappeared from gaming. Nobody would care.
Actually Halo is for Mac. even though it's quite old now :D

Kaboose the Moose

Feb 15, 2009
hebdomad said:
Skarin said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha....

The only hope Apple has in the world of gaming is the I-phone (which is pretty good to be honest).

I think Mac users will agree with me, publishers DO see the mac as a second rate platform. Publishes have screwed over the mac, time and time again, to the point when the mac GETS a game like 'Bio Shock' even when it's two years late, mac users jump up and rejoice.

And before you call me a PC heretic, I DO use macs nearly every day for work... It's a love/hate relationship.
Integral might be a strong word but from the posts following yours you can see that there are a decent amount of games that the Mac can play via an emulator or duel boot (I presume).

It's not a "golden age" for Mac but if users were really bothered they'd go get a console. I think Apple are doing fine as it is and their gaming library is not really barren http://www.apple.com/games/. They got some games their and now they can add Bioshock.

I am not a Mac user myself; I am quite happy with my Linx/Windows partitioned PC so I like to think I have an unbiased view about Macs, and I think (from my limited user experience) that Macs will always find a place in the gaming market.

Trotgar said:
hebdomad said:
Actually Halo is for Mac. even though it's quite old now :D
Fixed!. You quoted the wrong person..had me confused for a sec.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I don't see why Mac users should be deprived of Bioshock, after all even us PS3 owners have gotten ourselves a copy ourselves, not that we can afford to buy the game after spending all our money on Sony black Monolith.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Skarin said:
So it seems that finally, more than two years after its original release Mac users' will get to play the game of the year...for 2007.

Yes that's right Mac fans, Bioshock has been ported by Feral Interactive to give you (possibly a first hand) look into Rapture.

Said the spokesman:

The game will retail in North America for US $49.95, £34.99 in the UK and 39.95 euros throughout Europe on Oct. 7th.

Just thought I'd let the gaming community/Mac users know that you know longer have to turn to Spore or Sims. You know have Bioshock!

-Source: BioShock hitting Mac next month [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/24/bioshock-hitting-mac-next-month/]
I must say it's not too hard to set a benchmark in Mac gaming, mainly because there's almost no games for the darn thing anyway, but Bioshock will be a welcome addition.