Bioshock Infinite DLC Could Feature New Companion Characters

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Bioshock Infinite DLC Could Feature New Companion Characters

An artist's LinkedIn profile hints at new companions that might take Elizabeth's place in future DLC.

You could make an easy case for Elizabeth being the most iconic entity to come out of Bioshock: Infinite. While the game's world was filled to the brim with stunning visuals, interesting characters, and unique enemies, it's the blue-eyed girl in the corset that everyone seems to remember. Granted, a part of this is because she's more than a tad central to the game's complex story. That said, Irrational Games also just <a href=http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a469250/bioshock-infinite-how-irrational-games-brought-elizabeth-to-life.html nofollow>put a lot of effort into making her a likable and helpful partner.

That in mind, it's somewhat surprising to learn that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122296-Irrational-Announces-Bioshock-Infinite-DLC-Season-Pass>Irrational's planned DLC, some of which may expand on the story of the main game, might be teaming you up with someone besides everyone's favorite change tosser. According to the LinkedIn profile of <a href=http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikeshahan nofollow>Michael Shahan, a senior artist for 2K games, his recent work experience includes "providing animation for a new AI companion" for Bioshock Infinite. None of this is in any way a definite proclamation of things to come. That said, the fact that he has since removed this entry from his work history could suggest that he was, in fact, tipping Irrational's hand before the developer was ready.

Without further information it would be unwise to make too many assumptions. That said, this further piques our interest in regards to what Irrational has in store for fans with its forthcoming DLC. While we would certainly love to see more of Elizabeth and Booker, it could be interesting to see the world of Columbia through, and with, new characters with different abilities and connections to Comstock's city in the sky.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-29-bioshock-infinite-dlc-to-feature-a-new-companion]

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Sounds interesting but if there really is gonna be a new AI companion I wonder how they could justify this new companion not being attacked in combat, assuming that's how it's gonna go.

Some people have mentioned that as a problem in the main game but I figured it was always made sense in terms of the games story what with Elizabeth being holy figure in the eyes of Columbia so I doubt they're gonna go and start blowing her away.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I figured there was no way they could add on to the narrative that we had for the campaign. It was done, wrapped in a nice bow with nowhere to go with it. I really hope that it's some kind of "meanwhile" event, things that were happening on the other side of Columbia while you were doing your thing.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Maybe a fanciful romp through the ages with the Lutece timeclones? Timed objectives, just charge through various locations to get things done....

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
i do not envy the poor bastard who has to go on stage after Elisabeth

i am willing to give the new guy/girl a chance. i mean it doesn't have to be another add on to the story, i'll be happy to have an ingame prequel-sequel or equal to the original story. maybe to see what happened in Columbia after or before booker showed up. or maybe even something that happens in the middle of the story. like why things happen. or maybe you can play as Fitzroy fighting combstock in the vox's earlier days

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
DrunkOnEstus said:
I figured there was no way they could add on to the narrative that we had for the campaign. It was done, wrapped in a nice bow with nowhere to go with it. I really hope that it's some kind of "meanwhile" event, things that were happening on the other side of Columbia while you were doing your thing.
You forget there are infinite possibilities of what happened, maybe they will show us the story of one of the other light houses. They could do anything they wanted, gender swap the characters, make slate a follower, pull a big daddy in as a boss fight, pull in a giant squid as a boss etc etc. They can do anything, I think they are going to put in some of the unused areas from the first trailers.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
This just in, i have discovered that inspiration for this companion was to essentially combine all of the following characters into one companion:

And that loud screching noise of various pitches you just heard was the screams of gamers everywhere.

OT: Well, as long as they find what made elizabeth in Infinite work as a companion and continue to use that or even improve upon it then i see no reason to be worried.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
ok i really would have thought DLC would involve someone new as the Pc and Elisabeth remains as a companion.
maybe after the end of the original game Elisabeth accidentally jumps into a version of either Columbia or Rapture she can't escape from on her own so she recruits someone to help her get out. Since Bookers story is pretty much done and his role in gameplay can be filled by anyone who can wield a gun. OR future version badass gun-toting Elisabeth teams up with a more timid version. and instead of vigors you get to access various worlds to pull things out of, just open a tear into the middle of an ocean and drown enemies.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
damn, now im wondering if i will get it since i got my self the season pass. maybe the new character might be interesting as well but if it can top her, thats very questionable.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
thisbymaster said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
You forget there are infinite possibilities of what happened, maybe they will show us the story of one of the other light houses. They could do anything they wanted, gender swap the characters, make slate a follower, pull a big daddy in as a boss fight, pull in a giant squid as a boss etc etc. They can do anything, I think they are going to put in some of the unused areas from the first trailers.
Yeah...I don't know how that aspect of the game totally slipped my mind. You've got the right idea though. This would be a perfect opportunity to work with the stuff from the cutting room floor, and the story they wrote gives them the room to go almost anywhere with it and have it fit in nicely.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
This will probably be something like Minerva's Den. Colombia is a big city, there's probably more than a few interesting characters to check out. But...yeah, Elizabeth DID set the bar pretty high.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well considering I bought the Season Pass thanks to that Xbox Entertainment Awards fuck up thing, I'm quite excited to see what Irrational will do with what they've created.

Not sure they can top Elizabeth as a companion though, but I'll have faith in them.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
One thing about the Bioshock games is that each one ends pretty definitively. That is, direct expansions and follow-up stories become difficult due to what happens to the main characters at the end. As such, it'd make sense that they'd need a new pair for the expansion (like how you play as a different experimental Big Daddy in the BS2 DLC).

They could just as easily keep you with Elizabeth and Booker...or at least Booker. Just pick from one of the countless Bookers that tried to save Elizabeth and failed, the Lutece's chalk-board at the coin-flip was awfully full of tally marks. Hell, according to one of the recordings you find in the game, apparently one Booker officially joined up with the Vox and became a leader and martyr for the revolution. So really there's countless lives and stories that Booker could have lived out in Columbia, so they're really not bound to the notion that there has to be a new main character and companion. Then again, depending on how you interpret the ending, all the "extra" Bookers could have been snuffed out of existence.
So really, it's like the article says: you can't safely put any assumptions into what the DLC will be. :p

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Maybe it's going to be a DLC about Booker during Wounded Knee time, with [input the name of crazed eye-patched, shock jokey wielding guy].

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Honestly, I'd be surprised if the new DLC wouldn't be during the war and you aren't teaming up with your war-buddy that you meet during the game.

StewShearer said:
might be teaming you up with someone besides everyone's favorite change tosser.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Personally, I'd like to see more on the alternate timelines briefly mentioned in the game... or maybe even a semi-prequel...

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I could see an entirely narrative playthrough (doing puzzles and what not) through Robert Lutece's perspective and having Rosalind as a companion, or a campaign where you play as a youbg Elizabeth with Songbird as a companion.

Don't know, but if it's by Irrational, I don't think I'll be disappointed.