BioShock Infinite Gameplay Squeezed Into Teaser Early

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioShock Infinite Gameplay Squeezed Into Teaser Early

Irrational said it was waiting until next week to show off BioShock Infinite's gameplay, but a teaser gives us an early first look.

Irrational Games is still BioShock Infinite [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103410-Daily-Tidbits-Countdown-to-BioShock-Infinite-Gameplay-Reveal]'s first gameplay trailer on September 21, but thanks to a teaser trailer we don't have to wait until then. The latest episode of GameTrailers contains a small amount of Infinite's gameplay, but just enough to have my blood boiling in anticipation.

First of all, it looks like we should expect to be knocking a lot of dudes off of the sides of Columbia's flying structures as they scream all the way down to terra firma, as Booker DeWitt is shown doing with a rifle butt. Secondly, the game is apparently going to be filled with plenty of cool gadgets and weaponry, like DeWitt's arm-mounted rail catcher and a steampunk hand cannon.

Enemies aren't going to want to follow DeWitt onto Columbia's air rails either, unless they want to get slammed off with a wrench to become a bloodstain on the side of a building. We now know that the floating city's giant armaments may be turned upon us at various points in the game too, which is unfortunatle considering how they're said to be able to destroy entire cities.

The teaser only contains about thirty seconds of gameplay, but it's definitely worth seeing to tide you over. The full trailer will be released on Xbox Live and Xbox.com on Tuesday, and if the teaser is this good, it'll probably be pretty sweet itself.

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/104?ch=3&sd=1]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So, it's stopped being "Horror action" and has become just plain old "action"?
Well, I'm still fine with that. Still looks to be a damn good game.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I just hope that if they do include plasmids, or some equivalent of them, they do it like it was done in BioShock 2 where you can have that and a gun out at the same time...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
So, it's stopped being "Horror action" and has become just plain old "action"?
Well, I'm still fine with that. Still looks to be a damn good game.
I didnt really think Bioshock had "Horror" or "Horror Action". Though it did have a great atmosphere that gave you the feeling of impending disaster and the like. Thats the one thing this game is missing, not a bad thing though.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Looks bloody epic. I like that they seem to have eschewed horror and bio-punk for straight up steampunk. Though they may just be keeping the horror elements(If they're any) under wraps.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Cool! Looks as if it might be a very good game.

I was mildly amused to see them leap from 'the guys who did Bioshock!' to 'next up: Bioshock Infinite!' with not even a split second's mention of Bioshock 2.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
It almost looks as though you're playing through the downfall of Columbia, much like many people wanted for Rapture.

Cool.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Going from a dark, underground city to a bright, flying city? Weird shift, but feels appropriate for the Bioshock universe.

I, for one, did love the creepy, atmospheric tone of Bio 1 and 2... While this does get rid of the 'creepy' part... It looks fun.

I am kind of sad that the 'creepy' part is gone. You can't have 'creepy' in daylight. You just can't.

But, they're experimenting with not putting it in rapture in the first place... So I like that.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
tehweave said:
Going from a dark, underground city to a bright, flying city? Weird shift, but feels appropriate for the Bioshock universe.

I, for one, did love the creepy, atmospheric tone of Bio 1 and 2... While this does get rid of the 'creepy' part... It looks fun.

I am kind of sad that the 'creepy' part is gone. You can't have 'creepy' in daylight. You just can't.

But, they're experimenting with not putting it in rapture in the first place... So I like that.
You can, its just hard.

The dark represents an unknown, which adds to the creepy factor. If we dont know, were scared of it. Period.

However, as long as it makes the other elements superb, and can still effectively be creepy. I do agree, it wont be easy though.

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
I did sort of like the atmosphere of Bioshock 2, and sadly didn't get the privilage to play the first one but know through the sequel that I should play the first :p.

But, judging by what I see from this one, it's going to be interesting. Love the fact that they haven't suggested what they're going to have for big baddies, though maybe the cannon might be a deviously large boss at one point.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Wow.
That was cool!

Im gonna take a guess and say that you wont get special powers but, you will get different types of Tech.
Maybe like how Fontaine Futuristics was experimenting and pioneering in Plasmids, the thing in this game will be a company will experimenting and pioneering in Machinery and Technology.
And you might find a few experimental prototypes.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
I just hope that if they do include plasmids, or some equivalent of them, they do it like it was done in BioShock 2 where you can have that and a gun out at the same time...
From the GameInformer cover, they have something called "Vigors", essentially a primitive form of plasmids, and you drink them instead of injecting them and they have a set amount of uses depending on the vigor, so the stronger ones have less charges than weaker ones. There is also something called "Nostrums" that you can find to improve certain abilities that are permanent.

carpenter20m said:
So, it will be, among other things, a rail-shooter...
I c wat u did thar.

OT:I'm pretty excited for BioShock Infinite, we need more steampunk-y kind of games, it's a whole universe that has yet to be fully explored. The BioShock games seem to have that steampunk feel that I really like, and it's great that they know when they're done with a certain storyline (Rapture) and when to explore new ideas.

Consider this a buy for now.