BioShock Infinite Introduces the Siren

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock Infinite Introduces the Siren

The fourth and final of BioShock Infinite's "Heavy Hitters" is the ghostly, ghastly Siren.

The Siren is described by designer Ken Levine as a "nod to a major social movement at the turn of the century" dedicated to the spiritual world - and not, he clarified, in the contemporary, conventional sense of spiritualism as a substitute for religion. "People were actually talking about contacting the dead and speaking to the dead," he said.

And so it is that the last of the Heavy Hitters will make your life miserable not by filling you full of lead or punching your face into goo, but by bringing back to life the jerks who were trying to do just that. That leaves you with a choice: Kill the dudes who are trying to kill you, or kill the dude who's reviving the dudes who are trying to kill you that you already killed. Got that?

It's hardly the most original idea ever, but it's always fun to have a immediate, "kill him first" enemy pop up every now and then. Kind of like how Aragorn wanted Legolas to kill that one guy at Helm's Deep, which should also serve as a lesson about what happens when you don't kill that guy first. Keep that in mind, kids!

BioShock Infinite [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6EB70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332864766&sr=8-1] comes out on October 16 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
It's hardly the most original idea ever, but it's always fun to have a immediate, "kill him first" enemy pop up every now and then.
Reminds me quite specifically of one of my favorite Penny-Arcade comics:

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
When he said the Siren was a nod to a major social movement at the turn of the century I immediately thought that we were going to fight screaming Suffragettes.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Funny, so did I. Or perhaps the Temperance movement, although I'm not sure that fits the timeline.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Is it bad that I TOTALLY remember
RJ 17 said:
Andy Chalk said:
It's hardly the most original idea ever, but it's always fun to have a immediate, "kill him first" enemy pop up every now and then.
Reminds me quite specifically of one of my favorite Penny-Arcade comics
I thought of that one too...

Also, is it bad that, despite not really being a huge LotR fan, I totally remember that dood at Helm's Deep?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i personally wanted to get attacked by mechanical flappers

no, wait, that was prohibition era

anyway, they better have a theremin on hand for every encounter

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
So they built Sirens to bring them back to life so when they died so they could protect the Sirens who were keeping them from dying so they could die protecting the Sirens who were bringing them back to life....

We have to go deeper

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Siren is a pretty good name for it though I'd think that Banshee would be more appropriate.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Hey, at this point, I welcome anything to this game. I'm really looking forward to it and this is a great example of the variety of enemies. I'm just waiting to see if there's gonna be a special edi--

BioShock Infinite comes out on October 16 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.
:l...

NOT AGAIN! COME ON!!! Last time I checked, it was supposed to come out around August?! UGHHHH!

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I think a song that is less annoying would do a better job.
Also this:
RJ 17 said:
That is why I love being the medic,I'm always aware of my surroundings,sometimes I can be quite a survivalist with that class.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Funny, so did I. Or perhaps the Temperance movement, although I'm not sure that fits the timeline.
He's probably refering to the spiritualism movement between the 1840's and the 1920's. The ouija board was introduced in this time too, around the 1890's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualist

Horay history!