BioShock Infinite March Sales Rise Above 2K's Expectations

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
BioShock Infinite March Sales Rise Above 2K's Expectations

According to industry analysts, BioShock Infinite is on track to sell 4.5 million units in its first year of release.

Financial services group Cowen & Company has revealed that BioShock Infinite sold 878,000 units during its month of release. Not only was it the top-selling game for March [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123391-NPDs-March-Numbers-Show-Bioshock-And-Tomb-Raider-at-The-Top] in the United States, but considering Infinite was released on March 26, that means those numbers came from its first week on the market. That's not too shabby, and publisher 2K Games agrees. According to analyst Doug Creutz, this is "a few hundred thousand" units above company expectations.

BioShock Infinite's sales were helped by overwhelmingly positive reviews [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10250-BioShock-Infinite-Review-A-Head-in-the-Clouds], and the analyst predicted that it would continue to have a strong year. Irrational Games' follow-up to the 2007 hit BioShock is expected to sell 4.5 million copies during its first year on the market.

This is obviously great news for Irrational and 2K, and it's really refreshing to see such realistic sales expectations. Comparatively, the Tomb Raider reboot had the best launch in the series' long-running history [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123045-Tomb-Raider-Launch-Best-in-Franchises-History], selling 3.4 million copies in its first month. This was somehow disappointing to publisher Square Enix, which announced that Lara Croft's latest adventure failed to meet expectations. Infinite was one of 14 games that sold over 100,000 units in March, making it one of the strongest months for the video game industry in years.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/npd-bioshock-infinite-march-us-sales-hit-878000-6407267]

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
So this is what happens when you let the developer concentrate on just making a good game. Who knew?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
One of the strongest months for the videogame industry in years? My God how have they all been keeping afloat all these years then?

Seriously though, nice to see some realistic expectations from a publisher. 2K you guys are alright.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Judging by the game industry at the moment, this must be considered a momentous failure.

OT: I shouldn't have to say that, but good on 2K for having realistic expectations.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
I guess this means they've actually been able to keep to an actual budget. Unlike Tomb Raider which can't sell enough for it's paymasters.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I'm really surprised that there's any realistic kind of sales expectation among trippel a games publishers...

And honestly infinite is that good, no half assed glued on multiplayer well working qtes (witch to be honest isn't really qtes more choose a or b and don't over think it..) no bugs and smooth singelplayer gameplat with a nice story and working ai.... What's no to like? Sure I would enjoyed a little better graphics models for characters but that's my only complaint...

but then again it's not for everyone as with all games :)

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Shocking that one major AAA game can get similar numbers to another and one is all cheers and happy while the other calls it a failure.

Guess who needs to learn from the other before we have another bloody 80 market crash.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow, and i thought this is seen as failure.
well, its a great game. playing it a second time now.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Positive reviews and memorable ending is what sold for me.

Its a great game and I'm happy for its success.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I wonder if Bioshock: Infinite's success is part of the reason God of War: Ascension and Gears of War: Judgement have not performed as well as they might have done, people can be unwilling/unable to drop £80 or more on AAA titles in the same month.

Gamers have complained about the competitive multiplayer in Gears but the new God of War has been pretty well received.

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
I can't see how they're surprised. They marketed it everywhere making it a very successful flavor of the month game.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
You read the news and people's reactions;

Congratulations.

You can now start by making the gameplay half-way decent.