Bioshock Infinite: The latest victim of the Stupid-American-Box-Art Virus.

MagmaMan

Apr 2, 2012
Radoh said:
Seriously?
This is still a thing people are complaining about?
Are we not already in the age of digital distribution?
Who cares what the smegging boxart looks like?
ALOT of people including myself still like physical copies of their game. The day I'm forced to download a game and can no longer buy a physical copy, eagerly tear into the packaging, pop it into my N64/PS2/Xbox 360 and instantly get it running I'm going to cry. So many great memories that will never be made again.

Reginald

May 9, 2012
Radoh said:
Seriously?
This is still a thing people are complaining about?
Are we not already in the age of digital distribution?
Who cares what the smegging boxart looks like?
Some people like to have a physical object they can look at, or put on a shelf, or fondle. It's not much of a stretch to assume these people may also want that object to please their eyes.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Sepko said:
Really, 2K/Irrational? Really? Of all the imagery from something as vivid as Columbia that could've inspired something truly amazing to look at, you end up with...essentially nothing on a box. It looks like a Call of BattleHonour cover, with its one redeeming quality being that there's at least a clear blue sky. The previous Bioshock entries had wonderful box art, hinting at an incredible world in Rapture in the background, along with provocative imagery with the Big Daddy and Little Sister in the foreground.
This just looks like Booker's wondering why he's suddenly floating 10,000 feet in the air but trying to keep cool about it.
The only thing I like about it is the burning flag; it's hinting at something, I know that much, but I can't seem to care when I can't even see a hint of what that flag is attached to. most will get Europe's contributions to Box Art, sometimes Asia's, which are by comparison infinitely better designed.
yes, you're right, developers and publishers must be careful selecting the cover,
even just putting the "title" on the cover, is more beautiful and appealing than "cliched male character" cover. it just boring and ugly.

some people argues that "why the hell i care the box art?", i think they forget that a "classic" game handles every detail with care, even the cover art, and the picture of the box will be the "description", the promotion of the game. and it will show "what kind of feel" the game will have.

some box covers for example

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
It really is not that bad...this whole thing is just people being stupid. There's far worse box art in the world and far worse ones this gen, it really is not a big deal so can we please stop treating it like so

Jordy Hartog

Oct 5, 2012
TheCommanders said:
Will it in any way affect the quality of the actual game (as informed consumers you can actually find the answer to this question)? Probably not
See, and I'm not so sure about the probability of this, since if they skimp on this portion of their production it makes me wonder where else they might have cut corners. Look, I'm not going to blame them for wanting to sell more games (hell, I'd want the same if I were them), but this is one of the signs of a company making decisions based solely on profit and market appeal whereas Bioshock's fanbase and audience were invested in it because of its originality.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
AgDr_ODST said:
upgrayedd said:
Def wont buy now.
if box art quality is really so big of a deal to you that this reveal really pushed you over the age and ultimately dissuaded you from getting it...then I'll from now on see you as nothing more than a sad strange little man.....you have my pity.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic and mocking the whining that is going on. I don't blame you. Sarcasm can be very hard to read through text. Who knows, maybe you're being sarcastic too and I have just fallen into the same trap I thought you fell into!
Actually I was quite serious at the time in my taking him to task for his simple answer...BUT I was also looking for a reason to partially quote a line from Toy Story that had been stuck in my head all day ;)

ratzofftoya

Jul 2, 2012
veloper said:
Scrubiii said:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/12/bioshock-infinite-box-art/

Here is Ken Levine's explaination of why it looks like it does.
Futile. Even fratboys aren't THAT careless with their 60 bucks and they actually do a little research before they throw away their money: they ask what their friends are playing.
This audience can be influenced by tv commercials, but nobody buys anything based on box art alone.
I think that the box art thing is totally fine and we shouldn't be up in arms about it. I don't really care what it looks like.

That said, Ken Levine's explanation (available in video at the link below)is stupid. If he wants to be "an artist," then mass appeal via box art should be encompassed in that art. He can't pretend to be all about the art in terms of one aspect of his craft, but then pretend that having eye-catching box art is just a necessity in this industry. You don't see many artists in other media making those compromises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL4HshArMa0&list=UU2-aop85lqOalGXV4FgFJaw&index=3