BioShock Infinite's Burial at Sea Returns to Rapture

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I don't know. Part of the strength of Bioshock Infinite was that it didn't go back to Rapture and was it's own ding dong damn thing.

That said, it looks like it might be a more interesting take than Bioshock 2 which was just more of the same where being better just makes it seem worse. Seeing Rapture as a living city would be the fresh take that could be worthwhile. However, it is still just going back to Rapture. Like the Star Wars prequels, I can't help but think they won't be telling us anything we don't already know that isn't completely stupid.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Because exploring a sprawling city flying through the skies that probably took some poor guy months to create is just inferior to going back and retreading old ground isn't it? There's really wasn't anything big that was left unexaplined or even properly explored from Infinite at all. This just makes perfect sense rather than trying to flesh out Columbia more we're just going to call it quits and get back to fanboy territory. Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time.

Seems the good old philosophy of "Gots to sell them games" is still strong at Irrational Games!

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Wish it wasn't in Rapture because Columbia had so much promise. With the alternate universe angle you could do all sorts of things, for example: Booker and our Liz fighting through a Columbia where the resident Liz is evil and is following Comstock's vision (I really liked that level's aesthetic, and evil!Liz). However, pre-collapse Rapture also sounds interesting, so color me excited.

Now to figure out how this fits into Infinite's story...

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
the antithesis said:
I don't know. Part of the strength of Bioshock Infinite was that it didn't go back to Rapture and was it's own ding dong damn thing...However, it is still just going back to Rapture. Like the Star Wars prequels, I can't help but think they won't be telling us anything we don't already know that isn't completely stupid.
BIOSHOCK DEVS: We've written in a premise that allows for the existence of an infinite number of divergent worlds!

POTENTIAL CUSTOMER: So we're going to see all kinds of new settings in the DLC?

DEVS: Nah, we're going back to the other one we already built assets for.

Funny you bring up Star Wars--it's an irritation of mine that Star Wars takes place in a whole galaxy full of planets, but in Expanded Universe material they keep returning to the same half-dozen places over and over and over again. Especially Tatooine and Dagoba, which are expressly supposed to be little-known backwaters the galaxy at large doesn't care about! The reason the major characters of the franchise were there in the first place was to keep a low profile, and that's undermined when every other EU game or book has their characters pass through them.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Aw, nobody is calling it DL-Sea? =P
O.O

That was bad... XD

OT: Looks interesting, I don't own the season pass but depending on how the DLC fares, I may get it.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
1337mokro said:
Because exploring a sprawling city flying through the skies that probably took some poor guy months to create is just inferior to going back and retreading old ground isn't it? There's really wasn't anything big that was left unexaplined or even properly explored from Infinite at all. This just makes perfect sense rather than trying to flesh out Columbia more we're just going to call it quits and get back to fanboy territory. Especially when they are now going to take away all the mystery and carefully explain to us how exactly Rapture ended up being the way it was at the start of Bioshock 1, because who wants mystery and intrigue in their games, certainly not me?! Just go ahead and destroy that sense of wonder, fear and curiosity when you played Bioshock for the first time.

Seems the good old philosophy of "Gots to sell them games" is still strong at Irrational Games!
How dare they deliver something that fans of the game would find interesting! I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
How dare they deliver something that fans of the game would find interesting! I'll get the torches, you get the pitchforks!
*slaps*
Fool you get the Plasmids and I'll get the Vigors. We gotta be thematically appropriate about this. XD

Would be interesting if some of the people from Columbia came in and caused one of the first huge fights, resulting in a snowball effect which eventually leads to the fall of Rapture. Really I'd also like to explore Pre-Civil War Rapture instead of reading about it in the BioShock Rapture book (really good book by the way, I recommend reading it if you've not).

Lennie Briscoe

Jan 18, 2011
HELL DAMN YES DAMN

Loving the noir setting all up in here.

Never thought they'd get me to love this game even more.

Guess I was wrong.

Telba

May 30, 2009
With a bit of a spoiler warning if any of you has not had the pleasure of playing Infinite:

"There will always be a man and a city." - Elizabeth

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
We're going back to Rapture? Again? Fantastic.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two games and Rapture was certainly a fascinating and enjoyable location for those two games but I'm over Rapture now. The sight of it doesn't make we wet my pants out of excitement, Andrew Ryan has never struck me as the "BEST VIDEOGAME CHARACTER EVER IN A MILLION YEARS OR LIKE FOREVER AND I TOTALLY WANT TO HAVE HIS BABIES" so I really don't care about the city's connection to him and most of all I just don't want to go through the whole it's-super-claustrophobic-because-it's-at-the-bottom-of-the-ocean thing again - I like the open skies of Columbia.

Rapture is rapidly becoming BioShock's "In Space!" It's Booker and Elizabeth - in Rapture!

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Well, whatever flimsy idea of a plot Infinite had just self destructed in on itself.

Will still play the hell out of this though.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Couldn't they have done the dlc on columbia, but on a stormy dark night ish theme so it still fits with a film noir feel to the dlc? Really don't want to go to rapture, and seeing old faces. Let bioshock 1 end as it was... just my 2 cents

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Okay... I need to bring my expectations back down again, but wow. That was quite a surprise.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Wellp, clash in the clouds sounds interesting (because I'm in the minority that liked the combat in Infinite); but I can certainly agree with those who are cautiously pessimistic about returning to Rapture.

It's essentially the developers saying, "Yeah, so we made this incredible sky-city Columbia and left it ripe for expanding on the themes and icon-OH FUCK IT let's go back to Rapture. Fans like that, right?"

At this point it's kind of irrelevant whether it turns out to be good or not, because Rapture has ultimately fulfilled it's purpose and - dare I say it - I don't think it has anything left to show us.

Be interesting to see whether Irrational made this as a DLC obligation to the publisher, or whether they intended to revisit Rapture with a new story that would have been out of place in Infinite.

Personally, I probably won't be going for it. Much as I like Booker & Elizabeth; Columbia being overlooked in favour of Rapture is a disappointment, and that's not even taking into consideration how much that ending changes things in terms of revisiting the game.

I squee'd as much as any Bioshock fan when

Booker and 'Liz briefly visit Rapture in Infinite

But that's not enough to carry a whole DLC on.

Edit: So I've just seen that trailer.

Huh...perhaps you can colour me interested. Seeing a populated, pre-cataclysm Rapture sparked my interest. Though I can see the aesthetic being thrown out of the window if it ends up being combat-heavy. Might have to wait and see on this one.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Dammit. BioShock Infinite's story/ending really pissed me off, I found it predictable, nonsensical and cliched - I sat through most of the game hoping they wouldn't do what I thought they'd do, but they did. So I was full ready to not get DLC.

But now they've got Elizabeth as the femme fatale to Booker's noir detective in pre-collapse Rapture? That goes a long way towards buying my goodwill.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
To all the people who are getting excited about seeing a pre-collapse Rapture: did you even see the calender on Booker's desk? No?

Here's a hint: all that pre-fall ain't gonna last long at all.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Smiley Face said:
Dammit. BioShock Infinite's story/ending really pissed me off, I found it predictable, nonsensical and cliched - I sat through most of the game hoping they wouldn't do what I thought they'd do, but they did. So I was full ready to not get DLC.

But now they've got Elizabeth as the femme fatale to Booker's noir detective in pre-collapse Rapture? That goes a long way towards buying my goodwill.
Yeah I'm with you 100% on that one. I think Bioshock 2 is a better game than Infinite. I also think Bioshock 2 should not exist if that tells you anything. However, the cynicism I approached this video with was wiped clean by the end. This is looking pretty good.