"Bioshock".... yet another zippy rant.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
AshPox said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
AshPox said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
SonicKoala said:
Well, apart from raping the english language, your rant feels incredibly disjointed and vague.... and I disagree with everything you said. How is the game "incomplete"? And a "travesty"? Really?

And secondly, stop with your stupid "Oh, well Twilight is popular, that means everything else that is popular is shit" thing. It makes no sense at all, and it's a horrible argument which is unable to stand up to any sort of scrutiny. Sometimes things are popular because they're GOOD.
Why? because its a good analogy? I might see it as twilight, how about the new star wars ep 1 it did well despite the ragging on it....
Dude stop.

Crap movies are popular a lot but video games just don't work like that.
Yes they do.....they very very very very much do....... its an epidemic with modern media no matter how bad it is people still buy it because its the brand,gene,ect they want.

Its just how things work.... poplar whims drive the need for everything and now that games are popular they must be dumbed down to maintain the profit numbers the ever growing cost of game design requires to make crappy flashy games and crap for the public.....

And no not everything sucks.....but most things are more like Transformers/Street fighter and less like star wars/LOTRs......
Ok then, Name one game that is popular that nobody likes.
I feel kind of silly defending the guy I was arguing with (sorta), but...
Popularity =/= Quality
Popularity is not really a good measure for quality.
Cooking Mama is one of the best selling franchises Nintendo has ever made. Good quality?
GTA is one of the most popular franchises in today's market? Good quality? (not in my opinion)
Crysis is highly acclaimed. Good quality?
Sonic games sell really well. Good quality? (This one injures me as I still have that damned Dreacast shirt)
Halo is popular...
I could keep going,b ut the point he brought up and the point you refute is that quality is not told by the popularity it recieves. Quality is also, to a degree, a matter of perspective. Some say FF7 was the best FF ever. Some say it was the worst. I still play my copy. I know people who outright refused to play it after the first try. Whatever.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I'll be honest and say, I didn't enjoy Bioshock as much as I had hoped.

I remember people dragged it out as though it's something worth high praises and framing. "9 out of 10!", "10 out of 10!", "is there a number higher than 10 out of 10?!" and "game of the year!" were things frequently shouted (well, except the third quote, although I get the impression that give it time, it would of been said). I bought it expecting an enjoyable experience and an enjoyable experience I got. You may think at this stage I'm a lover of Bioshock, but no. While the story, the graphics and concept were good, great and amazing (in that order), there was something that somewhat died in the process: Game-play.

I will admit that no matter what I hear, I go into a game expecting certain game-play elements. Since first person shooter is the genre, I'll use that example. I go into first person shooters expecting enemies that pose a challenge beyond "oh no, I can't get hit any more or I'll die" after being hit about five times over the course of about twenty enemies. This, I will admit, I did not really get. While they were a challenge in their own right, splicers with guns really threw me off sometimes, some parts just felt either "...What?" (the turrets for instance) and others were just stupid in terms of how strong they were (Big Daddys mainly). I know, I know, Big Daddys are meant to be strong beasts. However, and it's hard to put my finger on it, it just weren't right.

Another thing I expect from a first person shooter is checkpoints that are nicely spaced out within reason. This is where Bioshock fell on it's face to me. So I kill a load of people, I just come back near by with no penalty with all the enemies I have killed still dead and I can have another bash. It's really one reason, for me, why the game personally flopped.

I will also admit that through-out the game-play and the different enviroments, there was something else I couldn't quite put my finger on that spoilt it.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Your rant seems... Eh.
It lacks valid reinforcement of your views. You have to give prime examples of why it is unbalanced, unfinished and everything else you are saying.

Story is subjective, everyone knows that. So not everyone is going to like it, but it can be recognized by most as a good story. The plot twist added to the dramatic effect of the story quite nicely.

The game is not incomplete, as i have never had any graphical hiccups or game breaking glitches occur to me throughout my, now countless, playthroughs.

Unbalanced? Its a single player shooter! It doesn't need balance! Think of Half Life 2's super gravity gun. Were Valve thinking of balance then?

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
rabidmidget said:
How good bioshock is really depends on who's playing it, if you came in expecting yet another fast paced FPS you would probably be disappointed, however, if you are a fan of good use of atmosphere in games; are fascinated by moral philosophy and enjoy creative level design, then bioshock would be a game you wouldn't want to miss
This is pretty much spot on.

I loved everything about Bioshock with the exception of its flawed combat mechanics (and the shocking bugs on the PC version).

IMO Bioshock just needed another 6 months in development and it could have been one of the greatest FPS games of all time.

ZippyDSMlee said:
MurderousToaster said:
My god, I have never seen someone abuse the ellipsis that much in one post.

I have to disagree with utterly everything you have said there. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near unfinished, the gunplay, whilst sluggish at times, does work fairly well.

PS: Please, tone down the ellipsis use?
I would have to learn proper grammar first, grammar and zippy is like oil and water.
Just learn proper grammar. Its like spelling, if you can't do it everyone assumes you're an idiot before they finish reading your post.

Half the people arguing with you are probably doing so because your grammar failure betrays the legitimate sentiment of your argument.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
I felt Bioshock had its ups and downs. The biggest problem being its downs were at the very start, right when you're struggling with (PC exclusive rant) the horrendous options and inexcusably bad ATI video card compatibility.

In fact, the game was tough as nails at the start and graded off to laughably easy at the end. Even the enemies got slower, respawning less often, the rooms wider and more strongly lit. Wrong way guys.

Why, in the event of a glitch, must all settings must be reset and SAVED to (genre-defiant) defaults? ALL of them, not just graphics. Playing with certain randomly cherry picked options in game would also boot you to the title screen for no good reason. Who had those bright ideas?

Yet despite all this, like most people, I walked away having loved it. It simply ends on a damn strong note. However, I cannot forget how much of a struggle it was to play that painful first 33%, when the gameplay was shallow and non-intuitive, some locales astoundingly uninspired, plot formulaic and repetitive and you were treated to such incredibly deep tactical decisions as "fire or lightning, pick one, picked fire? sucks to be you" or "rescue or harvest? picked harvest, sucks to be you again buddy!" and the technical issues completely overburdening.

2/3 perfect, 1/3 utter tripe. I cannot fault the art direction of course.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
Well that your thought on the game.I personally thought bioshock was fantastic.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
So, um, I think when you refer to games that are "about the experience", what you are really referring to is "games that do not cater to my very specific tastes". Bioshock was a game about story, presented in a very inventive way, that asked the player some very thought-provoking questions along the way. That was the main idea you seem to have missed. The mechanics of gameplay were perfectly solid, at the very least, and the presentation was top-notch. You're just griping about graphics and your personal tastes.

You may find Tolstoy to be a boring read but that doesn't make it bad literature. I could just as easily call out Dark Messiah for having a derivative, cliche fantasy setting and adding nothing unique or memorable to the cultural stage.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I dislike Bioshock myself, I felt it would've worked better in the System Shock 2 style of gameplay.
Inventories, items, skills and focuses.

Nobody misses the item-wear system, but other than that, a tuned-up System Shock 2 system would've worked wonders.
I just couldn't enjoy it as a "horror" experience and I could not enjoy it as a shooter or an RPG either.

Bioshock did not know what it wanted to be and I didn't know how to enjoy it.

DarkDoopliss

Aug 7, 2008
Kortney said:
Ellipses' are not used as the indication of a pause! Silly boy! /Nazi grammar rant.

On topic, who cares? I'm getting really sick of these threads. You don't like Bioshock? Congratulations! Uh, what do you want?

A medal or something?

You don't have to like it. Many people, including me, love the game. No one cares if you don't.
This may be the best response to this situation.

pirateninj4

Apr 6, 2009
You're all taking this shit way too seriously...it's a fucking game for fucks sake. Chill out, go get a banana smoothie or something. Epic troll from someone trying to get attention.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
could you stop doing the ......... thingy, and make coherent sentences, paragraphs, and perhaps make a point?

Robert632

May 11, 2009
You forgot to mention the annoying amount of fetch quests. You know, when they had like three in a row.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Remember kiddies, typing LOL repeatedly is a sure-fire way to look like a twat.

OT - Yeah... You have an opinion. Congratulations? Did this need a thread?

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Bioshock was made in 2007 with version 2.5 of the Unreal Engine with some 3.0 features. It's graphics were basically a slightly toned down version of the same graphics used in Gears 2 and Borderlands. Complaining about the graphics is just plain silly.

And the weapons..... (god you love to attack everything don't you?). The weapons and plasmids gradually get stronger and better as the game progresses. Plasmids can be leveled up and guns have 2 upgrades each and can be upgraded for free from the "Power to the People" machines. You start off with a wrentch, then a pistol, then a machine gun and shotgun, then you get a grenade launcher and research camera, chemical thrower, crossbow........ etc. They weapons and plasmids get cooler and more powerful, pluse then guns have 3 types of ammo. Perfect weapon mechanics if I ever saw them.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, but it's like you're trying to hate Bioshock on purpose. So here's my gift to you:

Bioshock 2 comes out Febuary 9th! I hope you've preordered kiddies cause I know I have!