BioWare: 17 More Dragon Age Games Coming

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
BioWare: 17 More Dragon Age Games Coming

When asked whether Dragon Age was a trilogy, Dr. Ray Muzyka from BioWare joked that there were seventeen more DA games coming.

With two highly successful franchises underway at BioWare, Dragon Age and Mass Effect, it was only a matter of time before someone asked the question of how many more games we could anticipate in each series. While Mass Effect is more of a hard trilogy with a defined story end point, Dr. Ray Muzyka, CEO, and Greg Zeschuk, creative officer at BioWare said that Dragon Age could have an "infinite" number of games in the franchise.

"We're planning for 17 games," said Dr. Muzyka with a laugh. He went on:

Both Dragon Age and Mass Effect are franchises so they have different strategies and different kinds of story arcs but we plan on continuing to make games and worlds and expanding on those worlds in both franchises. Both in different ways, but we want to continue to provide content to fans, whether that be separate games or new adventures that have very different kinds of gameplay. So we have some cool stuff for both of them that we're exploring that'll be fun and different for the fans, and yet in a familiar setting at the same time.

Zeschuk added that the number of Dragon Age games could increase as long as there is demand for them. "In the case of Dragon Age, it's exciting because there's this whole timeline and geography," he said. "So with Mass Effect, we're constantly thinking about the trilogy. But with Dragon Age, it's more open and you can put more all over the place. Seventeen... Sixty-six? Infinite! Infinite games for the Dragon Age universe!"

BioWare has definitely been aggressive with DLC and expansions for its dark fantasy franchise this year, with Awakenings released a mere 5 months after the original game and already being hinted at [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98549-Dragon-Age-Comic-Delayed-to-April].

But I'm not sure that the franchise will be around after 17 games. Heck, I'm not even sure I'll be around in 17 years...

Source: UGO [http://www.ugo.com/games/bioware-weve-got-tricks-up-our-sleeves-for-mass-effect-3]

Dec 14, 2009
This is good news. The Dragon Age and Mass Effect universes have alot of rich culture and politics to base many games off of. It's a cannon nightmare, but it's Bioware, they are awesome-o-power!

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I hope they don't stick to the trilogy cliche. Just about everything is in a trilogy for some reason.
Haven't played DA yet, but if it's good then why not make as many games as possible? DLC that costs money gets under my skin in ways new games do not.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Drew Karpyshyn is a fucking genius and I will buy any game that is even tangentially connected to him.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Sure it's alot of games to be thinking about but this is Bioware we are talking about i think they can handle it.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
It sounds insane, but I could believe them. I'm sure they wouldn't all make it to market, but 17 concepts is still pretty strong. And I can never have too much Dragon Age...

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
If Bioware wants to make 17 more Dragon Age games I will buy them and be happy about it, because Dragon Age was bloody excellent. Bioware hasn't ever made a bad game (games with some flaws sure, but no duds), so I don't expect them to start now.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Games tend to get boring after you've made a trilogy. There's only so much you can do with a story arc before archetypes start repeating to the point of insanity. Notable exceptions are games such as Final Fantasy (because the Japanese don't surrender unless nuked) and Super Mario (see previous reason).

I'd prefer for them to try to develop more original content. I'm not talking reinvention of the wheel, because that's certainly not what Dragon Age was. Rather, BioWare is extremely proficient at taking run-of-the-mill concepts and making them multi-faceted masterpieces. If they can keep doing that, I'll keep buying their games. But I don't think they can milk Dragon Age for more than a trilogy.

Dec 14, 2009
LunaticFringe said:
And this is what happens when you have a Canadian doctor run a company.

"What, I can actually make money now? GET STARTED ON ELEVENTY BILLION DRAGON AGES!"

...I can't complain.
I'm sure Bioware can make elventy billion games that are decent compared to some companies that can't even churn out one good game (looking at you Sonic Team).

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
No...No...No...

They're aren't even 17 Guitar Hero games yet! Or 17 main FF games, either.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
If they maintain their level of quality, I'll buy them as fast as they can crank them out. I've been working my way through Awakening over the course of the week and it's just as good as Origins.

BioWare has been consistently producing the best RPGs of their generation since Baldur's Gate.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
*wonders why ,with Mass Effect games having such a sweet-ass presentation, the dragon age games look so bad*

Can't say Dragon Age interests me, it just looks like your generic Dungeon's and Dragons game with a smidgeon of Diablo, Warcraft and Elder Scrolls... oh wait... they're all pretty much the same too. I'll be interested in sequels when games actually introduce a new universe other than rehashing orcs goblins elves and some mysterious cult of magic users.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Well coonsidering that for both DA and ME they created their own IP universes they can make plenty games based on that concept, its just a matter of getting the idea into the world, and making it popular enough to create demand for it in years to come.

Obviously thats a lot harder feat to achive these days than it was back in the times of Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer o Star Wars franchise that still live untill today for better or worse. Nowadays you get plenty of new games, with anew release almost every day, some are less notable some more but the market is much more crowded.

Currently however BioWare covered 2 prime settings of worlds. DA being the high-fantasy setting with fireballs, dragons and swords clashing and ME giving something for sci-fi fans, having such two world at your disposal can proove to be good ground for taking over the wor-.. i mean developing 'infinite' ammount of games set in those worlds.

All i can say is good luck BioWare, if it works out it will be great but i wont cry if in 3-4 years they will come with yet another new IP to make a new serie.

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Considering how much content they've made for just a single country... heck they can go to the Free Marches, North to the Grey Warden stronghold, Orlais, The Quanari homelands...