BioWare: 17 More Dragon Age Games Coming

Arrakiv

Dec 17, 2005
That's pretty much the response I would have expected. Dragon Age is more or less a generic fantasy setting tailored by Bioware, which means that they pretty much can do whatever they want with it. Just consider how many campaigns are set in the primary DnD settings, how many stories there are, and what not. Now, also keep in mind that they're referring to a setting, and not necessarily a specific type of gameplay too.

What I expect with both Mass Effect and Dragon Age, is that when Bioware makes a game in a Sci-Fi setting, it'll be in the Mass Effect universe. Whenever Bioware makes a game in a fantasy setting, it'll be in the Dragon Age universe. They don't need to have the same storyline running through all of them, as they're both pretty generic (which doesn't translate into 'bad' - quite the opposite in this case) settings that could handle numerous different plots and gameplay styles.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
. . and maybe if they put all 17 together they'd have a complete game. Minus cinematics, that is.

EDIT: whups, that's ME2 I'm thinking about there.

Corohan

Mar 11, 2010
If they consider those crappy browser-based games like Dragon Age: Journeys as actual games of the franchise I think the 17 number could be accurate.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
PopcornAvenger said:
. . and maybe if they put all 17 together they'd have a complete game. Minus cinematics, that is.
im assuming your a bethesda fan?
More of a Bioware fan, or a former one, I dunno. I've got like six or seven of their titles, maybe more. DA and ME2 severely disappointed me, that's all. They lack the depth and replayability of their predecessors. It looks to me like Bioware is going on the "recurring revenue" train of putting out shallow games followed by DLC to flesh them out . . . DLC we are expected to pay for.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
Nimbus said:
Drew Karpyshyn is a fucking genius and I will buy any game that is even tangentially connected to him.
Apparently you never read "Rule of Two" lol

Not sure if Dragon Age is unique enough to constantly call for more games from the franchise. If other people think so, more power to it, but it will most likely "jump the shark" eventually and go the way of Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Anything good always grows stale as it is drawn out. I'm personally glad that Mass Effect will only have three games because a good story is one that knows how to stop. Keep up the good work, Bioware!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I have no problem with buying 17 Dragon Age Games. If they are as good as Origins and Awakening than they are worth buying.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
CloakedOne said:
Nimbus said:
Drew Karpyshyn is a fucking genius and I will buy any game that is even tangentially connected to him.
Apparently you never read "Rule of Two" lol

Not sure if Dragon Age is unique enough to constantly call for more games from the franchise. If other people think so, more power to it, but it will most likely "jump the shark" eventually and go the way of Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Anything good always grows stale as it is drawn out. I'm personally glad that Mass Effect will only have three games because a good story is one that knows how to stop. Keep up the good work, Bioware!
They've already said there's going to be more than 3 Mass Effect games, with the rest (obviously) coming after the trilogy. There's a much wider range of things they can do with it, IMHO, and I hope they continue to produce one of the best and only sci-fi game series I play.

As for Dragon Age? It's strength isn't in being "new" or "unique" (which it isn't), it's the way it turns fantasy stereotypes on their heads, the lack of any real light at the end of the tunnel and just how realistically gritty it can be.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I want a game about elves. I liked the little twist Bioware came up with for elves in Dragon Age, but i felt they haven't quite used it's potential. I want a game that deepens their story and details their plight, i think it would have the potential to make the player (elven, for maximum impact) much more emotionally invested. I like it when a game triggers emotions, and DAO has certainly done that, but i want more! And elves!

And that's pretty strange 'cause generally i'm really not into elves. But i am into oppressed cultures and love to support underdogs.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Yes, like God Of War they pretty much said they plan to exploit Mass Effect as long as they can. Good on some levels, disappointing on others.

Dragon Age is rife with potential as well, and was never intended to tell a specific story, so I guess I can see where they are coming from with it's long-term potential. As long as they don't start watering down the RPG elements and making dumb excuses like they tried to with "Mass Effect 2" (claiming that making custom ammo a skill, was "the same thing" as being able to install up to 3 differant mods on a gun.. uh huh, this was from Game Informer I beieve)

However, also keep in mind that Bioware is spreading itself thin. VERY thin. It's also got a massive and highly anticipated MMORPG in the works. Truthfully I think it's going to become increasingly difficult to keep all these balls in the air. Their work did so well because of the time behind it, and truthfully I think they are going to hit a massive crunch especially of KOTOR online succeeds because then they will have the pressure of constantly expanding, and fixing that game, not to mention trying to churn out a full fledged expansion every year to 18 months to maintain the player base.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm okay with this. It sparks to mind the Dragon Lance/Forgotten Realms ideas, of having large open worlds where things can be happening to different character groups, different locations, chronologically, as legend, as descendant, things like that. They can go the Elder Scrolls route, opening up new continents, or take a different track, open up new nations competing and vying for power. This is kind of exciting.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
You know, all the lore in Dragon Age kind of gave the impression that someone (or some people) sat down and said to themselves "Right! Now let's write us some history!" It all feels just a bit too forced, like someone's trying really hard to sell you a world but comes across as a vaccuum cleaner salesman. I don't know. Will seventeen more games add to or subtract from that feeling?

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
This may actually be a good series with a huge amount of games, unlike Final Fantasy..

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Heck, I'm not even I'll be around in 17 years...
I think you're missing a word there.

OT: Good! I like the Dragon Age series, I look forward to more from BioWare. I love those guys.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
BREAKING NEWS: REPORTER FUCKING HIMSELF

"Reliable sources say that today one of our reporters was jokingly told to fuck himself"

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
will dragon age become the American equivalent of final fantasy where there's gonna be no end in sight wait I already see dragon age crystal chronicles in sight

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'm hoping they keep making Mass Effect games even if I think they said they'd stop at three. If I remember right Bungie said they'd stop at three halo games but then you have Halo Wars, ODST, and Reach (though I really hope there is never a Mass Effect RTS unless it's like Sins of a Solar Empire with massive space battles between human, Turian, Salarian, Asari, and Reaper fleets, I'd buy that in a heartbeat).

Josho18

Mar 10, 2010
oppp7 said:
I hope they don't stick to the trilogy cliche. Just about everything is in a trilogy for some reason.
Haven't played DA yet, but if it's good then why not make as many games as possible? DLC that costs money gets under my skin in ways new games do not.
It's trilogies becouse of the way it tickles the tongue, but then again so does Quadrilogies.
So it's probarly the fact that 3 number of games in a series is proper, then you can fall into the story line and wait with expectations for next part, without dragging it on until you are bored, and continue buying the game of an sense of duty.