BioWare: 17 More Dragon Age Games Coming

May 28, 2009
What can I say? I love you Bioware! you guys are great keeping me entertained and killing my social life :D

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Think of the Children!

If they do make more I hope they overhaul the combat system. And before i get flamed, I'm entitled to my own opinion, and my opinion is that the combat in Dragon Age was slow, boring, unintuitive and unchallenged. Mind you i said the same about Oblivion's combat.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Games that try and stick to a trilogy don't. Halo didn't and from my guess from the ending of 3, God of War won't either.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Virgil said:
If they maintain their level of quality, I'll buy them as fast as they can crank them out. I've been working my way through Awakening over the course of the week and it's just as good as Origins.

BioWare has been consistently producing the best RPGs of their generation since Baldur's Gate.
Baldur's Gate 2 is still the top dog in my eyes, however.

I'll definitely buy it. I'm going to buy DA: A ASAP but I'm still poor from my FFXIII splurge.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
If they can maintain a solid line up with new features, I don't see why not. It certainly has larger world than Mario and they have been going on for generations.

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
LTK_70 said:
You know, all the lore in Dragon Age kind of gave the impression that someone (or some people) sat down and said to themselves "Right! Now let's write us some history!" It all feels just a bit too forced, like someone's trying really hard to sell you a world but comes across as a vaccuum cleaner salesman. I don't know. Will seventeen more games add to or subtract from that feeling?

I agree, i found the dragonage world frankly boring compared to the craziness of the forgotten realms. I really enjoyed the game, but they were just playing safe, the only thing i liked was the twist "monotheistic religion in an fantasy world, andraste and all that stuff". They need Chris Avellone.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
If your going to make 17 god damn games. Good luck coming up with good names and plots..unless you make a long 17 game story arc consisting of 2 areas and 3 dungeons each, good luck keeping people interested.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Josho18 said:
oppp7 said:
I hope they don't stick to the trilogy cliche. Just about everything is in a trilogy for some reason.
Haven't played DA yet, but if it's good then why not make as many games as possible? DLC that costs money gets under my skin in ways new games do not.
It's trilogies becouse of the way it tickles the tongue, but then again so does Quadrilogies.
So it's probarly the fact that 3 number of games in a series is proper, then you can fall into the story line and wait with expectations for next part, without dragging it on until you are bored, and continue buying the game of an sense of duty.
I know, I'm just commenting on how just about every series is in a trilogy. For some reason people like the number 3 a lot. And a reason I don't care for them is that normally the first was supposed to be a stand alone title but then the second gets made (opening up closed plot holes normally) and ends on a cliffhanger that forces you to watch/play the third.

Sprogus

The Lord of Dreams
Jan 8, 2009
This news pleases me. I love fantasy settings and dragon age is my favourite of recent memory.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Mr.PlanetEater said:
If your going to make 17 god damn games. Good luck coming up with good names and plots..unless you make a long 17 game story arc consisting of 2 areas and 3 dungeons each, good luck keeping people interested.
Google Forgotten Realms, Dark Sun or, fuck, Eberron (except don't take Eberron seriously. It's a joke setting). People have been taking a single setting and making hundreds of great stories, plots and games out of them for years. 17 games isn't really all that much for any decent RPG setting.

OT - Yeah... I'm now waiting for about four-five years down the line and a thread that's simply entitled "Are there too many Dragon Age Games?"

"STFU Noob. Dragon Age was great!"
"It wuz OK but no ME3"
"DAO Made RPGs dark and adult!"
"NO! THAT WAS FINAL FANTASY XXXXVII!"
"DAO was first"
"Sources Plz."

I'm going to save this, date it, and bring it out when I read that exact thread.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
coldalarm said:
CloakedOne said:
Nimbus said:
Drew Karpyshyn is a fucking genius and I will buy any game that is even tangentially connected to him.
Apparently you never read "Rule of Two" lol

Not sure if Dragon Age is unique enough to constantly call for more games from the franchise. If other people think so, more power to it, but it will most likely "jump the shark" eventually and go the way of Final Fantasy and Pokemon. Anything good always grows stale as it is drawn out. I'm personally glad that Mass Effect will only have three games because a good story is one that knows how to stop. Keep up the good work, Bioware!
They've already said there's going to be more than 3 Mass Effect games, with the rest (obviously) coming after the trilogy. There's a much wider range of things they can do with it, IMHO, and I hope they continue to produce one of the best and only sci-fi game series I play.

As for Dragon Age? It's strength isn't in being "new" or "unique" (which it isn't), it's the way it turns fantasy stereotypes on their heads, the lack of any real light at the end of the tunnel and just how realistically gritty it can be.
Ah, I didn't know that about ME. Thanks for letting me know, I'll incorporate that into my opinions in the future. I'm afraid its "turning fantasy stereotypes on their heads": I'm not so sure. I'm not sure what fantasies you've been reading/playing/watching but everything about Dragon Age is pretty standard. All the realistic "grit" as you call it is nothing new and has not been revolutionary in any sense for some time. A lot of the fantasy "grit" has been around since about AD 1000 as far as fairy tales go. It might be new for certain media but other than that it's nothing special. I'm not speaking out against the game or anything, I enjoyed playing it, it's just not accomplishing what so many seem to find in it is all. I intend absolutely no offense, I just wish to state my case.

Sep 14, 2009
PopcornAvenger said:
gmaverick019 said:
PopcornAvenger said:
. . and maybe if they put all 17 together they'd have a complete game. Minus cinematics, that is.
im assuming your a bethesda fan?
More of a Bioware fan, or a former one, I dunno. I've got like six or seven of their titles, maybe more. DA and ME2 severely disappointed me, that's all. They lack the depth and replayability of their predecessors. It looks to me like Bioware is going on the "recurring revenue" train of putting out shallow games followed by DLC to flesh them out . . . DLC we are expected to pay for.
well no offense, facts have shown that me2 and da sold amazingly and are some of the top games out right now...

in my mind, its near impossible to beat kotor, on so many levels it was JUST perfect, it had flaws sure, but they were perfectly imperfect, and i've accepted that its too hard to beat that game

honestly i have yet to be dissappointed by them, they make different style of games that i fucking love, some people like billions of gameplay while i love fucking amazing stories with amazing characters (which is nearly evvery single bioware game), i have yet to see anything shallow in their games on those 2 parts

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Here's hoping that at least 1 of them will have a Warcraft-esque open world, the size of the world in Origins was a complete letdown. And respawning enemies this time. And a level cap you can reach without using an exploit

Anterean

Feb 15, 2009
dududf said:
Title is rather misleading.
Agreed.
Greg Tito said:
When asked whether Dragon Age was a trilogy, Dr. Ray Muzyka from BioWare joked that there were seventeen more DA games coming.
That hardly seems like a promise to me