BioWare: 17 More Dragon Age Games Coming

The Unskilled78

Dec 4, 2008
Now, all we need is a Dragon Age/Mass Effect Crossover.

Think about: The Old Gods turn out to be Reapers, Shepard gets sent back in time to destroy them before they become a threat, runs into your party from DA, Hijinks insue.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Another...17? Oh god. But, I think hey could do it...and hey, at least its a plan! I wouldnt mind more DA games. Loved the first one

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
CloakedOne said:
Ah, I didn't know that about ME. Thanks for letting me know, I'll incorporate that into my opinions in the future. I'm afraid its "turning fantasy stereotypes on their heads": I'm not so sure. I'm not sure what fantasies you've been reading/playing/watching but everything about Dragon Age is pretty standard. All the realistic "grit" as you call it is nothing new and has not been revolutionary in any sense for some time. A lot of the fantasy "grit" has been around since about AD 1000 as far as fairy tales go. It might be new for certain media but other than that it's nothing special. I'm not speaking out against the game or anything, I enjoyed playing it, it's just not accomplishing what so many seem to find in it is all. I intend absolutely no offense, I just wish to state my case.
I'll explain what I mean. I felt that Dragon Age excelled in turning some stereotypes on their head in a few ways.
Instead of Elves generally being tall, elegant and so forth, we've got this race who are living in squallor and living under oppression.
Instead of Dwarves being noble and honorable, they're politicians and obsessed with backstabbing and getting one up on each other. Bumping each other off doesn't even cause them to bat an eyelid!
And the origins, generally, weren't Farmboy-Becomes-Hero. The Dwarf Noble one, in my opinion, is the best to show this. You come from one of the most powerful houses in Orzammar, you get unwittingly wrapped up in the politics and find yourself with nothing even though, depending how you went through it, you didn't do anything "wrong". You're then left with the small glimmer of hope that the Wardens might still be in the Deep Roads, and if you find them that they might recruit you and take you to relative safety.
The endings, too, weren't very stereotypical. Despite all the good you do, and the defeat of the threat, it's not truly gone. You're still left with a shorter life span, the corruption in your blood, possibly the blood of innocents on your hands and there's no real light. Ferelden gets a little brighter, but the ending isn't a "Happily-Ever-After".

And that's why I think it's "unique".

Biscotti187

Aug 12, 2009
I hope that at the same time Bioware is going to be creating more universes. Bioware always seemed to me to one up itself in new setting after new setting and while DA and ME are both amazing works of art not to mention alot of fun I'd hate to feel that Bioware is stifling itself in going into the rut of just those two franchises (does the KOTOR MMO count as a third?)

hansari

May 31, 2009
Their going head to head with Final Fantasy!! Seeing who can drag it on longer and recycle the same story elements over and over and over and over....

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
coldalarm said:
CloakedOne said:
Ah, I didn't know that about ME. Thanks for letting me know, I'll incorporate that into my opinions in the future. I'm afraid its "turning fantasy stereotypes on their heads": I'm not so sure. I'm not sure what fantasies you've been reading/playing/watching but everything about Dragon Age is pretty standard. All the realistic "grit" as you call it is nothing new and has not been revolutionary in any sense for some time. A lot of the fantasy "grit" has been around since about AD 1000 as far as fairy tales go. It might be new for certain media but other than that it's nothing special. I'm not speaking out against the game or anything, I enjoyed playing it, it's just not accomplishing what so many seem to find in it is all. I intend absolutely no offense, I just wish to state my case.
I'll explain what I mean. I felt that Dragon Age excelled in turning some stereotypes on their head in a few ways.
Instead of Elves generally being tall, elegant and so forth, we've got this race who are living in squallor and living under oppression.
Instead of Dwarves being noble and honorable, they're politicians and obsessed with backstabbing and getting one up on each other. Bumping each other off doesn't even cause them to bat an eyelid!
And the origins, generally, weren't Farmboy-Becomes-Hero. The Dwarf Noble one, in my opinion, is the best to show this. You come from one of the most powerful houses in Orzammar, you get unwittingly wrapped up in the politics and find yourself with nothing even though, depending how you went through it, you didn't do anything "wrong". You're then left with the small glimmer of hope that the Wardens might still be in the Deep Roads, and if you find them that they might recruit you and take you to relative safety.
The endings, too, weren't very stereotypical. Despite all the good you do, and the defeat of the threat, it's not truly gone. You're still left with a shorter life span, the corruption in your blood, possibly the blood of innocents on your hands and there's no real light. Ferelden gets a little brighter, but the ending isn't a "Happily-Ever-After".

And that's why I think it's "unique".
well, I must first begin by taking the time to thank you for making the effort to elaborate so thoroughly on your point. I respect you for defending your point in a thought-out and respectful manner on your part.

The elves that you point out are indeed usually depicted in an elite manner in several mediums but not all; The idea of elves living in squallor and being enslaved is one I will admit I have never encountered before but the Dalish elves you'll find are much more stereotypical. In the various books that I've read and movies that I've watched I've only ever seen dwarves in the way that they appear in Dragon Age. Some of the origins are extremely cliched while there are others like what you just mentioned are a little more unusual, I shall concede on that. The ending is also not very stereotypical but again it really depends on which medium you're talking about. There are several books and movies in which not all is well by the end of the story despite all of the efforts and questing on the part of the hero(es). I believe that Dragon Age borrowed very heavily from old epics regarding its ending (I refer you to Beowulf in which the hero king is killed on the eve of the approach of a massive invading force that will most likely wipe out the people he had built up to greatness).

In short, I now see your points in some respects and therefore change my opinion about them but I stand by my previous assertions in others.

Shawshanker

Jan 9, 2010
As long as they can maintain the quality of DA:Origins and keep the ideas fresh then they can have as many sequels as they want.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Well...I do love Dragon Age Origins, but it has some pretty glaring problems, such as Blood Mages and Dual Wielding Rogues beating everything else by a mile.

Also the environments are too repetitive. Everything is either a tower/cavern/temple, all of them brown and gray. Even the Forest is a relatively small area with another giant freaking temple at the end. When I went to the Frostback Mountains I was hoping for some epic trek up the mountain peaks, but no it's just a very small area outside of the Dwarven City. Nothing seems to happen outside of the underground areas, and that got disappointing quick. This is a world full of mages and knights, is there nothing better to do than wander around some old caves?!?

It's almost a little too generic overall, it risks becoming stale after sequels.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Strangely this makes me want to start playing DA again!
It never really drew me in that much, but the prospect of having 17 games worth of content to explore... hell, i want to see all of it xD

mercenator3000

Apr 7, 2009
Hey, I'm fine with 17 more Dragon Ages. Hell, if a game has anything to do with BioWare, I will buy it. I've played KotOR, Mass Effect 1 & 2, and Dragon Age, and I think all of them are brilliant masterpieces. Keep 'em coming, BioWare!

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Hell Yes! Where do I sign up? Can I pay for the pre-orders with the deed to my house?

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
It is a shame they are not planning 17 more games of an IP that features an original and interesting universe, such as Mass Effect (or possibly Jade Empire), instead of continuing to build upon one of the most bland and tired fantasy settings they have ever produced.

(Oh, the game is really rather good, and the actual writing is often surprisingly competent, but the premise and background of Dragon Age makes me want to read Forgotten Realms novels, for the sake of relative quality and originality...)

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
The only universal truth I have found in games is that bioware games are always enjoyable and usually exellent. Out of my top 10 games bioware probably has the majority of them.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
Just so everyone bitching about DA stops, BioWare has stated, that it's a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series, which took place in the D&D universe, and they made up they weren't TRYING to "re-write" fantasy. They were attempting to make a definitive fantasy setting to which they (and modders) could create many "campaigns" akin to D&D.

In which case, I'd say BioWare did a spectacular job.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Considering I already play Dragon Age Journeys (the browser-based tactical RPG), 17 more isn't a bad idea.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Well it does certainly look like they built a huge world and then gave us a very small chunk of it to explore. Also I found Dragon Age more engaging than any other game, I honestly cannot remember a game that drew me in as much as that one. I really hope they'll focus on Dragon Age rather than Mass Effect.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
If they DO carry this out, hopefully the same will be true for Mass Effect. So many options for both universes, they could have the same setting but utterly different time periods, gameplay, plot and such. Would be wonderful.