BioWare Acknowledges Mass Effect 3 Face Import Bug

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Considering I decided to replay Mass Effect 2 and try out a different appearance than my first time around and ended up recreating the exact same face with different hair, I think I can manage to recreate my character again. Mostly because I only seem able to make that one character, even when trying something different D:

Rickenbacker

Mar 24, 2010
Wow, and I thought this was just a bug in my promo copy!

But I don't really mind. I reconstructed my slightly retarded Shep, made him a little grizzlier and more tired-looking, and I'm really happy with the result.

Rickenbacker

Mar 24, 2010
Wow, and I thought this was just a bug in my promo copy!

But I don't really mind. I reconstructed my slightly retarded Shep, made him a little grizzlier and more tired-looking, and I'm really happy with the result.

Rickenbacker

Mar 24, 2010
Eleima said:
How on Earth did BioWare not catch that in testing?
They obviously did, but it was probably a bug added by some last minute addition, so they figured they'd fix it in a day one patch. Then it turned out to be a trickier problem than that, so now they pretend they didn't know.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They better come up with a PC patch fast. The game is very buggy. Cutscenes especially. Invisible characters, awkward head movements and lazy eyes. It's kinda hilarious at first, but it gets boring after you see it once.

Rancid0ffspring

Aug 23, 2009
dubious_wolf said:
further proof of Console limitations. T_T
Running out of ways to say 'PCs are better than consoles' are we?

OT: Not really bothered by this. What other game allows you to transfer your characters appearance across 1, let alone 2 games?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Zen Toombs said:
Flamezdudes said:
Glad they have actually finally acknowleged this, it took them long enough.
...Didn't the game come out at midnight?
... think about what you said for a moment. You implied that Bioware shouldn't be aware of bugs until games are released.

They have had months to bug test their games, there is no way in hell they did not know that importing a face did not work before the game came out, unless they seriously did not try at least once, throughout the entire time of making Mass Effect 3, to import a ME-ME2 character with a custom face.

In typical EA/Bioware fashion they leave it until game release to acknowledge it so as not to damage pre-ordering sales (DA2, the game did not have auto-attack despite them saying it did, they only admitted it the day it came out, having denied it previously).

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
exsample
Susan Arendt said:
This happened to me, and I was soooooo angry. Actually started the game five different times until I had my recreated my character juuuuuust right. I think I came pretty close, though.

It was interesting, though - it really drove home for me just how attached I was to my Shepard. I tried playing the game with a slightly different appearance, and it bothered me so much I couldn't actually pay attention to the game. I couldn't finish with any Shepard but Joanna, because we'd already come so far together.

I do hope it's fixed soon. I was fortunate - I never bother with most of the sliders, so I didn't have all that many variables to try and recreate. Someone else might have a harder time with it.
pretty much my feeling as well. i had to restart my game again because the shepard i had to re-create just dint look the same and it felt wrong to see her so different. the only good thing actually was, that it gave me the chance to change the nose of my femshep. so now im pretty happy with her and pretty much looks like my shep from part 1.
but i sure do hope a patch will come out, so that i can use my other sheps.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
until they fix it I'll probably focus a bit on the co-op since the more you do of that the easier the game gets

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
So, quick question.

Can I import a character from the previous games at all? Or does it just pop up some error? Does the face change to the default face or does it get all freaky like the picture in the article?

I'd like to know before I proceed with my Shepard (even tough I kinda always wanted to change his appearance from the first time I played on him, but whatever).

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I have a better glitch thats just funny, go to liaras room, talk to the drone, then talk to liara, but then in the convo with liara, both of us are looking at the drone the whole time as it moves about while talking about other stuff >.<

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
soren7550 said:
I'm going to go ahead and guess that part of this is due to the fact that the character creator is very different from ME1 & 2. Observe:
Please accept my condolences for the passing of your Shepard :(

I am horrified to learn that my Shepard looked very similar to yours, she had the same hair style and colour. She has done for the past two games. WHY NOW would she decided to change it? Moreover, why did Bioware see fit to REMOVE some styles, could the game disc seriously not fit a few additions?

My Shepard had a rather subtle roman nose and an ever so slightly pouty top lip, (it sounds hideous but it actually made her quite attractive in an unusual way...) and I'm really hoping they didn't nerf those features. She can probably pull off another hair style but she won't be the same without that nose!

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I just create a new character in each game. Seeing that wRPG characters almost ALWAYS look like crap no matter what you do to them. If you could have more style to them I might have cared but not now.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Rickenbacker said:
Eleima said:
How on Earth did BioWare not catch that in testing?
They obviously did, but it was probably a bug added by some last minute addition, so they figured they'd fix it in a day one patch. Then it turned out to be a trickier problem than that, so now they pretend they didn't know.
Sorry, I'm not buying that. A bug added by a last minute addition? That's a pretty major bug, I don't see how a "last minute addition" could have caused this. It would've been much better if they'd just manned up and admitted the issue. But they're working on it, and I'm guessing it'll be fixed by a patch soon enough, so I'm content to wait and bide my time.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Rancid0ffspring said:
dubious_wolf said:
further proof of Console limitations. T_T
Running out of ways to say 'PCs are better than consoles' are we?

OT: Not really bothered by this. What other game allows you to transfer your characters appearance across 1, let alone 2 games?
Well being a console person there is a certain degree of irony...

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Proverbial Jon said:
soren7550 said:
I'm going to go ahead and guess that part of this is due to the fact that the character creator is very different from ME1 & 2. Observe:
Please accept my condolences for the passing of your Shepard :(

I am horrified to learn that my Shepard looked very similar to yours, she had the same hair style and colour. She has done for the past two games. WHY NOW would she decided to change it? Moreover, why did Bioware see fit to REMOVE some styles, could the game disc seriously not fit a few additions?

My Shepard had a rather subtle roman nose and an ever so slightly pouty top lip, (it sounds hideous but it actually made her quite attractive in an unusual way...) and I'm really hoping they didn't nerf those features. She can probably pull off another hair style but she won't be the same without that nose!
Let us raise our glasses to the fallen Shepards of the Mass Effect 3 Import Massacre. Will will never forget!

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
White_Lama said:
So, quick question.

Can I import a character from the previous games at all? Or does it just pop up some error? Does the face change to the default face or does it get all freaky like the picture in the article?

I'd like to know before I proceed with my Shepard (even tough I kinda always wanted to change his appearance from the first time I played on him, but whatever).
You can import your characters fine. I haven't run into any problems with importation so far. I also highly recommend importing a Shep from a previous game if you can. Your ME3 experience will certainly be more fulfilling.

The only problem with importation is when you choose what your Shepard's face looks like. You still get the option for the default face as well as customizing it, but when you go to accept the imported face, it's just one of the defaults (or at least it was for me).