BioWare Adding Female Shepard to Mass Effect 3 Marketing

WynneL

Feb 23, 2011
One fifth of sales is actually a pretty large number. ME2 sold over 2 million copies. 20% of that is 400,000. Times 60 is $24,000,000. Sure, the other category gave them more money, but what if they could increase their profits by doubling their amount of female buyers?

If only 20% use female Shepards, and we know some of those are male, while ESA statistics give us that 40% of gamers are female, that means that the ME series is NOT attracting as many female gamers as it could/should. It may be that even more female gamers than normal would buy the game simply because, can you think of a more awesome female video game character (in a female gamer's eyes) than Commander Shepard? Hint: characters who imitated Pamela Anderson in some way (bleach, fake tans, implants, hooker-clothes) don't count.

I may be wrong in some regard but I think, in that line, that the FemShep trailer idea is a very good one. They could corner the damned market if more women knew how awesome the game is.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
As plenty of people have noted, there isn't a canonical Commander Shepard. There's a default Shepard, but that's not quite the same thing. I've edited the article to reflect that.