BioWare, Alan Wake, and Metal Gear Prepare Reveals for VGAs

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
BioWare, Alan Wake, and Metal Gear Prepare Reveals for VGAs

The Spike Video Game Awards show is coming, and three big announcements from BioWare, Remedy Entertainment, and Konami are coming with it.

Say what you will about the Spike TV Video Game Awards, but they're hardly the best representation of gaming culture. A stuff [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106191-Spikes-2010-VGAs-Were-Lowest-Rated-in-Programs-History] came out of the show last year, and Spike is looking to recreate its success with three new announcements this year. If you tune into the 2011 VGAs, expect to see details about a new BioWare project, an Alan Wake follow-up, and peek at an upcoming Metal Gear title.

A press release from Spike outlines the basics: "Guests include legendary game designer Hideo Kojima who will reveal the truth about "Metal Gear Solid: Rising" with a spectacular world premiere, the announcement of a new project and new studio from BioWare, creators of Most Anticipated Game of the Year nominee "Mass Effect 3" and the return of XBOX hero "Alan Wake" in an all-new adventure." The Metal Gear and Alan Wake teasers seem straightforward enough, but it's not clear whether BioWare intends to announce a new installment in an existing series, or a whole new IP. Further information will follow in December's issue of GameInformer.

Fans of the previous year's coverage will be pleased to know that Spike will continue its bizarre tradition of selecting the coveted "Game of the Year [http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2011-nominees/voting/game-of-the-year]" from titles that have yet to surface. While many gamers are probably well-equipped to select between Arkham City, Portal 2, and Uncharted 3, Spike has yet to explain how most people could cast a conscientious vote for Skyrim or Skyward Sword in advance of their releases. Other popular titles, like Assassin's Creed: Revelations and Dark Souls, do not appear at all.

Spike may not have the best practices for choosing 2011's best game, but if last year's trailers are any indication, the announcements alone may be sufficient reason to tune in. The VGAs will air "in over 100 countries and territories" at 8:00 PM EST, December 10, 2011 on Spike TV and MTV2. In the meantime, The Escapist recommends you work on developing clairvoyance in order to cast your GOTY vote in the most educated, unbiased manner possible.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
You know what would be great? If they simply removed the "ceremonies" and just gave developers a place to make big reveals. Honestly, does anyone legitimately like the fucking VGAs? Anyone? When Neil Patrick Harris can't raise its quality above dogshit, it is thoroughly worthless.

I'll just wait for the reveals to hit the internet.

EDIT:

DVS BSTrD said:
How Ironic that a channel called Spike could so completely miss the point.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
Say what you will about the Spike TV Video Game Awards, but they're hardly the best representation of gaming culture. A decreasing viewership coupled with a very narrow view of the industry and its demographics have not done much to help its case.
After watching the the 2010 VGA's this is the nicest way I could describe that joke of an award show. 2009 was decent but last year....ugh, they lost all credibility in my eyes.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
New Bioware project and Metal gear news? This made me curious but I still won't watch. It won't take long until all gaming news pages report about those.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Could be Dragon Age 3. I hope not, I don't want it being rushed again. I loved Origins but hated 2.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I don't know anything about these VGA things, but apparently they murdered everybody's mother.

I'm curious to see what Bioware have to show. Oh, and hey, Alan Wake. That's... interesting.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah Im just gonna wait for the new MGS announcement on youtube or on this site.

I hope they give a date for rising and show some more gameplay.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah, fuck all of that shit. Bet you any money that the amount of viewers decrease AGAIN in inverse proportion to the growing amount of people who are just watching the new trailers on YouTube.

Hopefully this will be the last one BEFORE the VGA's die out.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Please be an Alan Wake 2!

I dont give jack shit about any other games that you listed, just please more Alan Wake!

Congratulations Paranoid your the new Rainbow dash!

JimmyC99

Jul 7, 2010
PurpleLeafRave said:
Could be Dragon Age 3. I hope not, I don't want it being rushed again. I loved Origins but hated 2.
TBH i am expecting Either Dragon Age 3 (its an announcement not a hay its out soon so it will be safe maybe) or Mass Effect Online/4 (Bioware wont let this franchise go)

long bets could be a new IP, or a revamp of an old on, maby Baldurs gate or an actual KOTOR.

the Metal Gear news, will probably be about Metal Gear Rising (Gah NO not Ridan again NOONE WANTS TO BE RIDAN).

and thank god for the Video Game BAFTA's eh?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Alanwakealanwakealanwake alan f***ing wake!

Oh dear god. The possibility of a new alan wake...To say the least, it's been a crappy day, and I needed that. Thank you remedy. Thank you for giving me hope in a world where univerisity libraries have no HP lovecraft, Beurocrats only say code words for "shut up" and "f*** off", and hobos ignore every other person on the street and make a bee-line for you. And only you.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
James Charles said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
TBH i am expecting Either Dragon Age 3 (its an announcement not a hay its out soon so it will be safe maybe) or Mass Effect Online/4 (Bioware wont let this franchise go)

long bets could be a new IP, or a revamp of an old on, maby Baldurs gate or an actual KOTOR.

the Metal Gear news, will probably be about Metal Gear Rising (Gah NO not Ridan again NOONE WANTS TO BE RIDAN).

We seriously can't be ruling out a new Jade Empire game, can we?

Edit: And Bioware won't let that franchise go for Mass Effect? They third game in a planned trilogy is coming out in March. But...they can't let it go? I wouldn't mind more games in the universe that aren't about Shepard. I feel like too many games miss that opportunity. They have these huge worlds, but only do one real story within them.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i will orgasm if it IS Alan Wake 2, but will throw up, if Remedy failed to fix the lip sync... just talking about Alan Wake's lip sync makes me nauseous

babyhenchy1

Mar 28, 2011
James Charles said:
PurpleLeafRave said:

I've read that it's actually an all new IP.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
New Bioware project, eh? It'd be so cool to have them announce a sequel to Jade Empire! :D
I'd be okay with a DA:3 (seems a little to soon imo), but another Mass Effect would be kind of silly as of now since the third one hasn't even been released yet.