BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

Jan 27, 2011
DLC huh? I guess I'll buy i-

Wait...IT'S FREE?!?!

0_0 EA? Uhh...Are you feeling alright? You're...NOT ripping the consumers off? ...Wow...Ok. That's really nice of you.

Well, props to Bioware for this! :) That's awesome of them.

Captcha: urban myth? ....LOL!

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
The whole artistic proccess thing is a flawed arguement as this is a game, and the old rules don't apply to a new medium. As far as doing right by the customer goes I am impressed, i didn't think the 'real ending' DLC would be free. nice one Bioware, just hope it doesnt suck ;P

EDIT: nvm looks like they arent actually changing anything, just 'clarifying' things. Broken ending needs to be fixed not explained. Seems they didnt go through the feedback as deeply as they claim.

Ceress

Jul 16, 2009
digital warrior said:
Ceress said:
Personally I just want to know if Garrus and Tali ended up opening a bar together called the Dancing Shepard...
well under the current ending they land on a uninhabited planet and die a slow painful starving death cause they cannot eat anything on it except maybe each other. Cause remember they are dextro-amino acids and cannot eat food based for levo-amino acid-based Species. Such a hopefull ending.
Well since I picked Synthesis I just assumed that because everything was part synthetic then that wouldn't be as much of a problem...somehow...I never was any good at biology.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This DLC won't fix a bloody thing, you'll see. Get ready for more ME3 outrage this summer!

But at least it's free.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
As long as this is just an addition of scenes depicting what happened to everyone, more power to them.
If it actually changes the ending, no matter how I hated it, they can go screw themselves for all I care.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Yeah, this isn't going to fix anything. Essentially what they're saying is: "Clearly all of the people who are complaining are just stupid idiots who can't see our brilliant artistic GENIUS! Lets help the unwashed masses by explaining it!"

You know that saying, a joke isn't funny if you have to explain it? Same thing here. The current ending doesn't need clarification, it needs cutting. That's the only way you're going to fix the gaping plot holes. You can't introduce a Deus Ex Machina like this at the end of a series that thus far had inner consistency.

But of course, the people who are in charge of the ending are sticking to their "Artistic Integrity". The irony is all they're doing is coming off as amateurs who refuse to listen and adapt to negative criticism.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
This combined with the Jen Hale article posted earlier I'm pretty sure we're in for a series of Animal House flash cards.

Which is no less than what I expected to be honest.

Anyway Bioware has their work cut out for them if they're going to beat this.

PS. If they don't play "Shout" over the ending sequence that's a deal breaker.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
The key term here is "free." If anything is likely to earn Bioware a modicum of credibility back, it's that they aren't charging for this.

Now let's just see how it actually turns out.
My guess is they planned this whole thing out but didn't expect the Horus Heresy level shitstorm they caught instead and are releasing it for free to try and save face or to keep everyone from burning down their offices.

I would normally trust them but since EA's dug their grubby hooks into them I just don't know anymore...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oooookay...

Cautiously optimistic here. Very, very cautiously.

Could they pull this off? Dare I dream of such a thing?

They did get the "free" part right at least.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Irridium said:
I wonder what'll it'll be. The ending is a goddamn mess. It'll take a lot to make it actually make sense. And doesn't change the fact that Star Child basically screwed himself. You failed, you were DONE. There was nothing you could do. Then star child BRINGS YOU TO HIM, and says he failed because you're standing before him. Even though he would have not failed if he just left you to die.

Freaking stupid.
The ending has many problems, but this is not one of them. The existence of a "synthesis" option, and the origin of the Crucible being likely the "Star Child" itself indicate that "he" expected or predicted that someone could finish the Crucible and get to choose how the cycle ends. It is important to note that the "Star Child" or whatever is not evil, and the Reaper cycle was created for a reason (a bogus reason, but still).

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Aggieknight said:
This all-but successfully proves my theory that Bioware had from the ending intended to provide the real ending via DLC. I guess that they could still do that, and the color that they are adding here just wraps up the "non-DLC" ending better.

Or I guess it could mean that BW realized their mistake and are pulling the real ending out of the planned DLC and releasing that, then moving forward with the actual gameplay of the DLC as a separate release. That may explain Hale's interview yesterday where she says that she hasn't been contacted by Bioware yet for more content. If the "real" ending was planned DLC and Hale has already recorded it...

Either way, I'm happy. Gawd the ending drives me nuts weeks later. For clarity - I (like almost everyone else that is upset) don't want a happy-panda ending. I want an ending that makes sense (why is joker fleeing with the people I was just with, why does it look like every planet in the galaxy just got nuked, why did my team watch as a charged down the hill alone).
oh their are lots more.
Like who originally thought of the crucible?
Did they know bout that frigging hologram kid?
How does the crucible even do what it does?
If the red ending kills me does it kill everyone With implants like biotics or just cybernetic?
Why cant I just take control of the reapers and Tell them to turn on each other can I do that?
How does the magic green space light change all life and what does this mean in the practice sense?
Why can I not argue the holograms logic when I just spent the entire game contradicting it? Hell why cant I argue with him at all?
Why does Shepard just go along with it without a fight?
Wait reapers had teleport tech is that what that beam was?
Even with the magic green space light their is still a difference between half organic and synthetic life, and if their isn't how in the name of Zeus crackling buthole did the robots spontaneously gain organic bits?
Why is this giant explosions of the mass relays different?
Seriously how did any civilization build the crucible if they didn't know about the ai in the citadel?
Why did sovereign need to unlock the citadel if this kid was controlling it anyway, couldn't he just unlock it himself?
If every reaper is a different species why do they all look alike? we've seen them try to make a reaper terminator why no others?
Why is my nose now bleeding?
WHO WROTE THIS AND WHY DID THEY THINK IT WAS A GOOD IDEA?

oh man i feel better now feel free to add unanswered questions to the list

(and no do not try to give an explanation yourself, the game should give me the option to find out, the writers didn't give half an ass to try and explain and they should have, your own explanations does not change the fact that the game itself has none of these answers)

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
"We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson-"

Credibility, GONE.

On another note, this DLC had damn well better explain how in the hell space magic managed to make its way into my Mass Effect, making the ending all the more enraging than it already was. Seriously, had they just taken the time to explain how in the fuck the Crucible works and maybe NOT cut out the vast majority of Anderson's final conversation with a Shepard that hadn't gotten involved in a romantic relationship on Hudson's whim the ending wouldn't have stung nearly as much as it did.

Casey Hudson decided to cut most of this conversation out, because he thought it would have been TOO LONG, just FYI. Really says a lot about his creative process.

This DLC had better be breathtaking if Bioware hopes to regain the fans it has lost. I'm not expecting much myself, though hopefully I'll turn out to be incorrect in my assumptions.

OFF-TOPIC: One thing I'm certain that we can all agree on, is that the melancholy piano piece that plays during the final cutscene is, in spite of the various terrible things going on in front of our very eyes, a freaking masterpiece.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
EA/BioWare: We promise it won't be the same crap as original. Pay us and you will see.

I'm really curious how many more fall for their crap. What happened to "artistic integrity" Casey?

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Hevva said:
Additionally, it'll be interesting to see how the DLC will manage to provide "additional closure" at the same time as staying true to the original vision of Mass Effect 3's writers.
From what's been floating around out there the actual writers' had pretty much zero input on the ending. The ending was all Casey. Hopefully they will actually let the professionals handle things this time.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Ceress said:
digital warrior said:
Ceress said:
Personally I just want to know if Garrus and Tali ended up opening a bar together called the Dancing Shepard...
well under the current ending they land on a uninhabited planet and die a slow painful starving death cause they cannot eat anything on it except maybe each other. Cause remember they are dextro-amino acids and cannot eat food based for levo-amino acid-based Species. Such a hopefull ending.
Well since I picked Synthesis I just assumed that because everything was part synthetic then that wouldn't be as much of a problem...somehow...I never was any good at biology.
Apparently neither was Bioware.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
[spoilers]well seeing as in most endings Shepard is dead then they wouldn't need Jennifer Hale

I don't really know what more we can get from this new ending besides finding out how Shepard is being mourned[/spoiler]

RaeAlethea

Feb 25, 2012
I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude with this one. I want to know what they really mean by clarification first.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I'm in agreement with with everyone who likes the fact that it's free, would be stupid otherwise.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
People who truly believe Bioware planned to create a bad ending on purpose so they could sell a "better ending DLC" later should really check their tinfoil hats.