BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be a free DLC pack released this summer to provide "closure" to anyone who wants it.

After weeks of heated discussion over the end of Mass Effect 3, developer BioWare has now announced that it will release an epilogue of sorts for the game in the form of a free DLC pack. Entitled Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut and set for release this summer, the pack contains "additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes" designed to bring a deeper sense of closure to any fans who want it.

"Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding," said Ray Muzyka, a BioWare co-founder, announcing the DLC. "With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team's artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe."

"We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team," added Muzyka.

Mass Effect 3 Executive Producer Casey Hudson laid out the schedule for the upcoming DLC. "We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player," he said.

So, there you have it. We've watched on as the "Retake Mass Effect" movement appeared, debated, raised Marauder [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116315-Mass-Effect-3-Petition-Raises-Funds-For-Charity]. Was this kind of DLC what they were after? Is this a victory for the movement, or has BioWare forever sullied the artistic integrity of its trilogy?

Additionally, it'll be interesting to see how the DLC will manage to provide "additional closure" at the same time as staying true to the original vision of Mass Effect 3's writers. Fans satisfied with the ending are, of course, welcome to ignore the DLC. Are we in for another Dragon Age: Origins-style epilogue? Or maybe something a little more Animal House? Most importantly, will there be more romance scenes with Garrus? Oh, sweet space-Batman.

UPDATE: BioWare has uploaded an FAQ for Extended Cut [http://blog.bioware.com/2012/04/05/mass-effect-3-extended-cut/], in which its writers clarify that "the extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned."

BioWare concludes the FAQ by saying, "Are we proud of the game we made and the team that made it? Hell yes. Are we going to change the ending of the game? No. Do we appreciate the passion and listen to the feedback delivered to us by our fans? Very much so and we are responding. Summer is coming..."

A clarification on the clarification DLC, then. And a possible hint that BioWare likes Game of Thrones just as much as the rest of us.

Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be released for Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3 this summer.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-05-bioware-announces-mass-effect-3-extended-cut]

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
People will still rage though. They always will. Even if this is pretty much the only way to "fix" the ending.

Ceress

Jul 16, 2009
This is the best of both worlds, Bioware get to keep their ending (which wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was making it out to be in my view)and we get decent closure on WTF happened to everyone else.

Personally I just want to know if Garrus and Tali ended up opening a bar together called the Dancing Shepard...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The first step on the road to redemption is admitting you fucked up. I kinda see this here, since it at least shows that they were listening, but I will wait and see what is covered in the extended cut before I make my final judgment.

Apr 28, 2008
I wonder what'll it'll be. The ending is a goddamn mess. It'll take a lot to make it actually make sense. And doesn't change the fact that Star Child basically screwed himself. You failed, you were DONE. There was nothing you could do. Then star child BRINGS YOU TO HIM, and says he failed because you're standing before him. Even though he would have not failed if he just left you to die.

Freaking stupid.

Still, some explanations for things will be nice. Like "did I just blow up the galaxy?". You know, simple things like that. I mean, in Arrival it's established blowing up a relay causes the whole system it's in to die, since the relay essentially goes supernova. Then there's the fact that the Citadel is basically one big relay, so everything around Earth, including Earth, is most certainly fucked. I think. Game never explains if this is the case, or if it's not, or how it's not if it isn't. Or anything really.

I wouldn't even call it an "ending". It was just a point where the story stopped being told.

Whatever the case, it'll be interesting to see what they eventually release. Glad it's free.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Its interesting that its free. But just adding additional scenes to an already complete game just feels tacked on.

If you wanna look at a game that retconned their ending in a good manner, look at Fallout 3. Yeah, the ending wasn't really that good - especially for the people who ignored the "you cant go back after this point" message. But for those who wanted a deeper investment, we got Broken Steel, which let us continue where we left off and gave us a much deeper ending.

They didn't say "Our bad, this sucks, have an extra cutscene". This wont pacify the people who are crying about the ending to begin with - part of the problem was the ending gave no closure because their actions had next to no effect on the ending. Unless they add a LOT of cutscenes, which I am doubtful of, people are still going to complain.

Make a DLC that expands the ending. Make it a playable scenario. That way people fine with the ending (most the people I know and myself included) can just let the series fade, and people who want more can pay the premium and get more (or wait for a GoTY Addition). Then everyones happy.

As for BioWare sullying their artistic integrity - can someone explain to me the artistic integrity that they had earned? Cause I'm pretty sure this entire game has been botched and has shown us that BioWare wanted to make this game for money more than anything. So many corners have been cut, the DLC debacle, and the ending that (while in my opinion makes sence in context of the game) was rushed and sloppy compared to the standards BioWare usually holds up to. They did not treat their game like art, lets not pretend like they earned the integrity - even with the good will the other 2 games built up.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The key term here is "free." If anything is likely to earn Bioware a modicum of credibility back, it's that they aren't charging for this.

Now let's just see how it actually turns out.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I read Clarification in that press release. I read Artistic Vision in that press release. I am unsatisfied. But since I can't win, i'll just stop buying BW products and hound everyone to do the same. Boycotts on. Peace, i'm out

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Moviebob won't be happy with this.

I can't be the only one who thought that.
One of the first things I thought when I read the press release actually :p

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Ceress said:
This is the best of both worlds, Bioware get to keep their ending (which wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was making it out to be in my view)and we get decent closure on WTF happened to everyone else.

Personally I just want to know if Garrus and Tali ended up opening a bar together called the Dancing Shepard...
well under the current ending they land on a uninhabited planet and die a slow painful starving death cause they cannot eat anything on it except maybe each other. Cause remember they are dextro-amino acids and cannot eat food based for levo-amino acid-based Species. Such a hopefull ending.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Hmm. I wonder how many people that said "RAWR NEVER BIOWARE AGAIN" will change their tune if this free DLC pack is actually good? my answer: lots

endtherapture said:
Here's hoping it's not as rushed as the games production.
Amen.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
This all-but successfully proves my theory that Bioware had from the beginning intended to provide the real ending via DLC. I guess that they could still do that, and the color that they are adding here just wraps up the "non-DLC" ending better.

Or I guess it could mean that BW realized their mistake and are pulling the real ending out of the planned DLC and releasing that, then moving forward with the actual gameplay of the DLC as a separate release. That may explain Hale's interview yesterday where she says that she hasn't been contacted by Bioware yet for more content. If the "real" ending was planned DLC and Hale has already recorded it...

Either way, I'm happy. Gawd the ending drives me nuts weeks later. For clarity - I (like almost everyone else that is upset) don't want a happy-panda ending. I want an ending that makes sense (why is joker fleeing with the people I was just with, why does it look like every planet in the galaxy just got nuked, why did my team watch as a charged down the hill alone).

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Moviebob won't be happy with this.

I can't be the only one who thought that.
HAHAHAHA!!!

Bob is so gonna rage... and of course like every other time, most people will ignore him unless what he says is something they agree with (come on, you know its true, you're guilty of it too.*)

Anyways, im curious about how this will pan out, its good to hear they are making it free, thats one controversy im sure they dont want to have to deal with. But I would like to know just how giving the fans the closure they want... no, deserve, and keeping the artistic integrity of the original endings is going to work.

But, I see one major positive about this,

[HEADING=1]THIS MEANS NO MORE FUCKING ME3 THREADS ABOUT THE GOD DAMN ENDING!!!1![/HEADING]

Also, Escapist? Can you go back to the other captcha, im tired of having to type, "the all new chevy sonic" when ever I want to fucking post.

*[sub]This is not aimed solely at the person im qouting, but anyone who may read this post.[/sub]

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I honestly have low expectations for this, but we'll see, I doubt that this will change anything at all.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, I'm glad they did it. At least they listened to all the raging fans. And it's nice that it's for free. I most certainly expected them to charge for the DLC. So yay, they get to keep their "artistic" ending and fans get their desired end.
Like I said, it's not that fans didn't appreciate the end. But you were expecting a bit more from a game that embraced the multiple-stories thing and build that up for three games just to get a confusing ending that is unaffe-- Well, you know what? We've been down that road. Fans just want an better explanation. That's all. no more, no less.

I just hope they truly listened to the fans and the ending is indeed satisfying or else they're in for another flame war. You know, just give them what they want at this point, not what they need.

And yes, people will STILL complain no matter what. But hey, good attempt.

WanderingFool said:
Also, Escapist? Can you go back to the other captcha, im tired of having to type, "the all new chevy sonic" when ever I want to fucking post.
YES, PLEASE! I prefer to obey Lord Inglip type dumb captcha phrases than to type dumb marketing phrases. I do not feel the need to buy a Chevy Sonic still. I doubt I will even after typing it a hundred times per day.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
It'll be interesting to see what this entails or how good it actually is. Its nice that they are doing this of course, though I bet a lot of people are wondering how much of this Ending DLC was done/considered/made before the game was even out. I'm sure that'll be revealed at some point (more than likely when this DLC comes out).

I've accepted the endings as they are, but sure as hell take this DLC, especially considering its free. I mean, there's probably a bunch of different ways this is going to go, but almost all of them will hopefully result in a better ending that what we've got.