BioWare Announces Post-Ending DLC for Mass Effect 3 [Updated!]

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
WanderingFool said:
BakaSmurf said:
Casey Hudson decided to cut most of this conversation out, because he thought it would have been TOO LONG, just FYI. Really says a lot about his creative process.

************!

That was beautiful, AND THEY WENT AND CUT IT FROM THE FINAL GAME!?
Yup, and you can thank that hack jerkhole Casey Hudson for that, since he had complete control over the ending of the game, this entire fiasco is his fault. How he managed to get in a postition to have total dominance of the reigns for the last 20 minutes of the game is beyond me. Blackmail on a certain high-up EA employee? Bah, whatever, he's a hack writer and I hope that he doesn't get any further work in this field for the rest of his life, one epic series' ending ruined by his "writing" is one more than was nessicary.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
I hope it's made into a blatant over the top "rainbows and lollipops" affair.

I personally believe that creators editing their works completely away from their own initiative will only result in something worse than the original "offending" article.

If this was created because BioWare sat down post production and decided they could perform more justice I'd be behind this - as it stands I see this as a waste of time for everyone; developer and consumer alike.

I'll only be happy if this happens on par with my opening line.

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
I don't see how they can make sense of this terrible mess they have made...
I thought people wanted the ending to not suck, unless this DLC is amazing i don't really see it helping much.

darth gditch

Dark Gamer of the Sith
Jun 3, 2009
Well, I dunno. I really only want three things from this epilogue:

1. A fix to the GLARING plot holes.
2. Some sort of closure to the story of Commander Shepherd and crew.

This last one is more of a personal, whiny gripe:

3. Some sort of epic, ending battle cutscene where your war assets duke it out with harbinger n' company.

I think I'll get number 2. I don't think I'll get number 1, and hoping for number 3 is a fool's quest.

Well, at least it's free.

In the meantime, back to beating the three games for all of the continuities I want to explore. ^_^

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
You know, back in the days of Piccaso and Rembrant they made paintings for the rich and powerful. Guess what happened if said rich and powerful didn't like it? They had to redo it...This whole "artistic integrity" crap is a load of shit from people who know nothing of art history. Stuff like that still happens. Artists are hired to make a certain work, they have some leeway, but if the person hiring them is unhappy they will be forced to redo it or just not paid.

Anyone who makes their art with the intent of making money has to listen to those who they want to purchase it. Those artists give up much of their artistic integrity to make money, which is their choice. However, that choice is something they have to deal with. You cannot make a piece of art you intend to sell as a product and then say it is your artistic right to make whatever the fuck you want. If you want to make money you have to make sacrifices to make what the purchaser wants, not just what you want.

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
That... is something. Not everything I'd wished for, but I think I'll be ok. Doesn't make me give them standing ovations, but this way we'll be able to do business again in the future.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
digital warrior said:
Ceress said:
This is the best of both worlds, Bioware get to keep their ending (which wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was making it out to be in my view)and we get decent closure on WTF happened to everyone else.

Personally I just want to know if Garrus and Tali ended up opening a bar together called the Dancing Shepard...
well under the current ending they land on a uninhabited planet and die a slow painful starving death cause they cannot eat anything on it except maybe each other. Cause remember they are dextro-amino acids and cannot eat food based for levo-amino acid-based Species. Such a hopefull ending.
Not necessarily, we don't know if the planet is populated with life they can eat. So it might be possible that they won't starve, but the rest of the normandycrew.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I find it hard to endow artistic credibility to a product that is play-tested, put through focus groups, has a huge advertising budget and published by EA. That said, I don't think changing the ending now is going to satisfy most people. What it will do is destroy any sense of "canon" the games might have. Ultimately, however, this is a minor issue to me as I found the story falling off on the series as it progressed.

Michael Wilbur

Mar 19, 2010
Why is it that whenever I see the words 'Artistic Integrity', I immediately envision that guy in creative arts class who writes thinly veiled Mary Sue characters and claims that people just don't "get it". News flash; if your audience didn't get it, you didn't write it properly.

Here's another news flash; if you start a story as a team effort, you can't cut off the other contributers at the end; the story is bigger than one person at that point, and the lack of the other contributors' input will be plainly visible to anyone with half a brain.

To be fair, however, I do believe the indoctrination theory is truth. Not only does it fit better (and subsequently keep the ending from crossing the magic/tech barrier, which bothers me more as a fantasy/science fiction author), it also leaves them free to not change the endings as they are, and instead focus on adding the rest.

On a final note, there's no shame in changing an ending. None. I'm an author ... don't get me wrong, I'm no Terry Brooks, but I have some pride in my work. If I ended a book with as many plot holes as the ending of Mass Effect 3, my fans would have every right to demand a better ending ... and as a good author (well, I hope I am anyway), I would have a responsibility to fix it. When I share a story with the world, I am in essence inviting people to enter the universe I've created. At that point, it is everyone's story ... that is, for those who wish to experience it.

Well, I've blathered on for long enough. Here's hoping we get the ending(or endings) we deserve!

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
I'm one of those mutant freaks who likes the ending the way it is, but I can get behind more closure.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Mikeyfell said:

PS. If they don't play "Shout" over the ending sequence that's a deal breaker.
That was utterly excellent, really made my day. Thanks for linking it buddy.

Hitchmeister said:
Okay, they can maybe win if they do this right. Provide some clear closure to Shepard's story, and since Jennifer Hale has already said they haven't asked her to come by and do any more lines, Shepard is well and truly permanently dead this time. But, they use this to set up the paid DLC that everyone will buy. After Shepard's event which ends the Reaper invasion, you play as Garrus, who takes over the Normandy and gathers the rest of the crew to fly around the Galaxy (with the free DLC explaining how that's possible) and take care of various loose ends. Like stamping out sore loser Cerberus cells, helping Aria retake Omega, either witness the birth of the next generation of Krogan, or wipe out the last really pissed off survivors... Oops, spoiler, I better stop now.
A playable epilogue? With Garrus Vakarian as the PC?

I KEEP THROWING MY MONEY AT THE SCREEN BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING!

But Seriously, Garrus effectively is paragade Shepard, if there would be any character that'd inherit Shepard's position as the new Mass Effect PC, it'd be him.

TheProfessor234

Aug 20, 2010
AMAZED said:
I'm one of those mutant freaks who likes the ending the way it is, but I can get behind more closure.
As someone else said, best of both worlds. People who liked the ending, get more information on something they already enjoyed. People who disliked the ending hopefully get more closure and will hopefully have less head exploding problems with what was presented. People who really hate the endings however...will probably never be happy.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
JUST LET ME ANNIHILATE HARBINGER PLEASE. I DONT CARE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. i wanna add him to my reaper bone count necklace... that and, maybe fix up some of the plotholes. ill be fine if i know that the species can travel back home wihtout the relays and if i know how joker n crew ended up where they were. thats all.

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Well all I can do at this point is copy everyone else and say "Hey, at least it's free."

Captchas: until tonight. That makes me worry.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
I'm willing to give Bioware a chance with this. I'm not going to judge it before hand and will try to avoid all spoilers regarding it so I can go in to it with a open mind. I was only disappointed with the endings rather than outraged like many other ME fans, so this post ending DLC has every chance of making things ok in my books.

If there is anyway to get Harbinger more involved then I hope they do it, he was the biggest omission in ME3 for me.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
mother *******

http://twitter.com/#!/GambleMike/status/187946105097564160

I really wish they would stop teasing...

Spygon

May 16, 2009
This is going to be terrible now every decent franchise that is not 100% awesome will have a group of "fans" shouting that the developers should change it.

So this is the end of days with thread after thread of people shouting they should have made a better game and hundreds of "retake" whatever all over the place.

The Mirror Man

Mar 21, 2012
It appears that once again the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Hope you fans are happy with yourselves for being the noisiest wheel of the industry. Not like there are any other more important things that need to be addressed.......

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
WanderingFool said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Moviebob won't be happy with this.

I can't be the only one who thought that.
HAHAHAHA!!!

Bob is so gonna rage... and of course like every other time, most people will ignore him unless what he says is something they agree with (come on, you know its true, you're guilty of it too.*)

Anyways, im curious about how this will pan out, its good to hear they are making it free, thats one controversy im sure they dont want to have to deal with. But I would like to know just how giving the fans the closure they want... no, deserve, and keeping the artistic integrity of the original endings is going to work.

But, I see one major positive about this,

[HEADING=1]THIS MEANS NO MORE FUCKING ME3 THREADS ABOUT THE GOD DAMN ENDING!!!1![/HEADING]

Also, Escapist? Can you go back to the other captcha, im tired of having to type, "the all new chevy sonic" when ever I want to fucking post.

*[sub]This is not aimed solely at the person im qouting, but anyone who may read this post.[/sub]
Aren't YOU an optimistic one? There are going to be even MORE threads about the ending when this comes out. I can only wonder how the nutjobs on the social forums will react to it.