Bioware blocks user from playing his store-bought copy of DA2, for bad-mouthing EA?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Leviathan_ said:
Now Bioware will have to suffer the consequences: I won't vote for them in MM!

I know it's harsh, but someone has to do it.
Hell, I don't even think I voted for them at all. :p

Lemme check...

EDIT: Nope, Silicon Knights. :p

Suck it Bioware. :D

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Not promoting piracy here as I actually own DA2 and what not but:

Yet again, they're giving LESS reasons for people to buy their game when pirating it eliminates ALL complaints and problems dealing with actually buying the stupid thing. Hell their forums were being ravaged by pissed off PC users because PCs had a TIME LOCK on their copies while console users didn't. So say if you lived in NY you'd have to wait till 3am for the game to unlock. And now ...they do this?

Then there's numerous complains about content, like if you wanted the highest texture settings ...you have to go to their site and download the patch for that. I'm not joking here, it's just mind boggling. Then you open the box and see the manual is 100% cover to back black and white and ...there's advertisements for Deadspace and Bulletstorm in full color.

Again, because I'm paranoid I'm not promoting any theft here as I have DA: Ultimate, DA2, ME, ME2 and Baldurs Gate 1 and 2. |:

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Oh Bioware you succesfull trolls.

And sadly, it's not illegal for them mainly because TOS you sign nowdays and rarely read have quite a load of clauses that when interpreted by lawyers can prove to you that all you paid for is a disk and the box. The game is not yours and they are only borrowing it to you.

And funnily enough there is nothing you can do except stopping to buy EA games.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
It's just a 72 hour suspension for being an idiot.

If he'd at least waited until he'd been able to register/activate his game to his account before being an idiot, he would have been able to keep playing during his suspension.

Now he'll have to wait a couple of days instead.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
Garak73 said:
It's illegal and when it eventually goes to court it will be set in stone. EULA does not trump consumer rights.
I doubt anyone would go to court over it. Especially since EA has this multi million team of lawyers that can chew out the avarage consumer quite easily

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
"I will never buy another Bioware game again".

If you said this then you clearly weren't going to anyway, if you like their games then you'd buy them regardless of how they mistreat a single customer.

How many people still play Xbox Live after all the crap Microsoft have done?

Hooray for bandwagons.

Spacewolf said:
Well considering its for 72 hours only its not really a dead 50 is it
JediMB said:

If he'd at least waited until he'd been able to register/activate his game to his account before being an idiot, he would have been able to keep playing during his suspension.

Exactly, nobody seemed to bother reading the link it seems. It' still not exactly fair, but it's not the same as banning from somebody from playing a game that they bought.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Garak73 said:
Snotnarok said:
Not promoting piracy here as I actually own DA2 and what not but:

Yet again, they're giving LESS reasons for people to buy their game when pirating it eliminates ALL complaints and problems dealing with actually buying the stupid thing. Hell their forums were being ravaged by pissed off PC users because PCs had a TIME LOCK on their copies while console users didn't. So say if you lived in NY you'd have to wait till 3am for the game to unlock. And now ...they do this?

Then there's numerous complains about content, like if you wanted the highest texture settings ...you have to go to their site and download the patch for that. I'm not joking here, it's just mind boggling. Then you open the box and see the manual is 100% cover to back black and white and ...there's advertisements for Deadspace and Bulletstorm in full color.

Again, because I'm paranoid I'm not promoting any theft here as I have DA: Ultimate, DA2, ME, ME2 and Baldurs Gate 1 and 2. |:

...and about the Time Lock thing, it had securom which Bioware told everyone that it did not have.
Again...more reasons why people are less likely to buy games vs stealing.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
if bioware could just start making crappy games this would all go down so much easier. Despite the fact that they move towards casual-friendly linearity i still love those games.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
This is EA encouraging piracy more than anything else.

I haven't seen anything convincing me the game is even worth pirating at this point, and due to the controversy surrounding multiple cases like this there's no way in hell I'd actually buy it.

Flamey

Apr 7, 2010
Hello, This is the suspended guy, had no idea this would blow up so fast, good thing too.

It has actually gotten worse. I started to PM with the mod who closed the thread and he just kept on stating that I broke the rules and needed to be punished.

And on top of that, my second account, with which I posted that thread, got banned from the forum because I discussed piracy. What I basically did was agreeing with someone who said they punish the honest customers and force you to be a pirate in a way.

Go figure.

And apparently it is legal to do. I reviewed the T&C and they are so vague you could be suspended for saying you don?t like puppies. They can do as they damn well please.

This is just a giant kick in the nuts.

GUYWITHAGUN

Apr 3, 2010
Figrut said:
It is all from the EA side. If ANYBODY wanted to troll hardcore just wait for a new game to come out, go down EVERYONE'S (will take a while) posts on their new game and just click to flag all of their comments as inappropriate. That is all it takes. Bioware will ***** out and ban ever last one of those people from their paid for games and paid for DLC, not to mention online games that might require a recent patch to run (should that occur). You are a moron who is screwing themselves if you pay for any game made by a company suckling EA's teat nowadays unless the company gives a damn about their custoers at all (sorry, bioware has shown it's colors, jus t look at the first bioware posted response). If EA is the distributor, pirate it first, then pay for it only after you are sure you won't be screwed over. Otherwse you are vulnerable to just being outright robbed. LEARN BETTER PEOPLE!

Moderator Edit: Do not encourage software piracy/other illegal activies. Read the rules.
look at that, this guy promotes piracy and just gets a warning..

Escapist mods > EA mods

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Garak73 said:
JediMB said:

...and the next person it happens to has to wait a week and then a month and then a year and eventually permanently. When would it stop being ok with you?

BTW, we all already knew it was a temp ban of 72 hours. Don't accuse us of not reading unless you are certain of it. I have been reading about this longer than you have, I'd wager, on the Bioware site.
1) I haven't accused anyone of anything. I simply posted my thoughts on the subject. Don't accuse people of making accusations unless you're certain of it.

2) Don't be a dick and you won't get suspended.

3) If you get banned you can still create a new account to play with. In a worst case scenario you'll have to contact EA support to get your game registration transferred.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dear Bioware.

You make really cool games. I want to love you guys.

That's kind of difficult when you act like complete dicks.

Also, screwing over paying customers encourages piracy.

Just saying.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, all EA has done now is make me feel joyous when I see or hear about people pirating their games.

I dont give a fuck what this guy says on EA controlled websites, if he put his money down to pay for the game, those blood sucking fucktards cant do anything to stop him playing it.

If I were him Id go to the appropriate authorities and check if its okay for a butthurt ***** corporation and their little toady devloper twats to deny him the right to play what he has paid for because the whiny bitches dont like what he said.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
That's why I almost never say something on forums. Some fucking prick is going to take anything what I say seriously and therefore get me a nice ban.