Bioware blocks user from playing his store-bought copy of DA2, for bad-mouthing EA?

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Sorry total foul Bioware, denying me access to something I BOUGHT. Which now belong to me.

You are the devil Bioware.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
It's 72 hours, why are people acting like he'll never be able to play?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
scnj said:
It's 72 hours, why are people acting like he'll never be able to play?
It is called a precedent. First a three day ban, then a week, then a month, so forth, so on. But that is beside the point. If he payed for a game, he damn well better be able to play it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
the guy got himself owned for something stupid he said on a forum regulated by the same people who has control over his account. Thats just plain lack of foresight.

floopdawoop

Jun 26, 2010
Might just turn into one of those sci-fi movies set in the future where you work for the man and like it or else. Stripping everyone of their rights using EULA, game companies will takeover the world starting in Japan, then slowly enforcing martial law around the world. And then BAM. Revolution.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
And if I accepted piracy as theft, you would have a point there.
The law doesn't so there's no need for you to accept it as such.
And that's sorta my point. The misuse. The RIAA and later MPAA ran smear campaigns comparing file sharing to theft, and now people compare used games to theft, and I'm sure somehow disagreeing with someone could be construed as "theft."

Though on a personal level, I'm out to be consistent. If I mock the concept of piracy as theft, I pretty much have to scoff at the concept of this as theft. :D

ImprovizoR said:
What they did is illegal. It's that simple. It's his opinion and his right to free speech.
There was recently a thread on people's failure to understand free speech. Freedom of speech does not protect you from penalties like suspension or being fired. Sorry. It's his right to say it, as per free speech. They still retain control of their network, and it can suspend your account.

Don't like it? There's legal ambiguity here, so your recourses are limited. But I'll say this: You lie down with dogs, expect fleas. Sign up with companies like Steam or EA which require accounts and additional terms of use for continued operation, don't complain if you lose access.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Legally they can do that - you don't buy a game in a literal sense, and it's still the property of the publisher.

Ethically, ah cut the crap. Seriously. Man up and take the insult, guys, it's just one player and look what's come of suspending him.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Apparently, it was done by a machine because a bunch of people clicked the "report" button.
Strange, that reminds me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it...

OT: This seems like a pretty extreme measure for something so little. So he made a joke at EA's expense. People do that all the time with governments and you don't see them taking away their civil rights. So why do they have the power to take away their customers ability to play the game so casually?

*sigh*

[sub]I should just go back to bed.[/sub]

JK7135

Jan 29, 2010
I'm not going to say whether it was a good or bad thing that this guy got temporarily banned from his game. I simply don't know enough details about the incident in question.

What I have gathered from the Forum post is that unfortunately this guy said something that EA (or another forum member) considered inappropriate. The banner (sp?) followed the EA guidelines in regard to this which resulted in his EA account being banned.

This affected his playing of the game because it initially needs to be authorised through an account, which he currently doesn't have.

It's harsh, but from where I sit, it doesn't necessarily mean Bioware has sold their soul to the devil.

Summary: Not condoning, not condemning. Just stating my honest opinion on it.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
This person is entirely morally justified in downloading a cracked torrent of the game he purchased.

This is a good example of a general principle. Power, no matter how small or insignificant, will always be abused.

JK7135

Jan 29, 2010
Not sure if its still true, but at one point you could legally download games as long as you proved you had legitimately bought a copy of it. It went under "creating back-up versions of your game"

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
What he should be doing is not wasting his time posting on forums and calling a lawyer. Hes got a good case.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Sad to say, but even on the best of servers/forums, there is always at least one dick moderator. Perhaps it would be advisable not to talk shit about a company on their own website - at least not without some form of constructive criticism?

Since you are technically playing the game to have fun, expressing dissent or engaging in political discourse against the beast in it's own lair is not conducive to your health as this kid found out, case in point.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
so I guess it's kind of like posting a youtube video that for some reason or another attracts complaints, or insults, so rather than let it burn out, the user disables commenting?

*sarcastically applauds EA* Yes, because this is clearly the first person to express EA dissatisfaction over the web. You're nipping a full on future rebellion leader in the bud there, guys!

Venereus

May 9, 2010
We finally have a proper news article! Hopefully this will stop the "I'm not informed but still have an opinion" posts.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/11/ea-forum-bans-can-lock-you-out-of-games/

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Well that's quite asshole-ish on BioWare's side. Tying forum behaviour to ability to play a single player game is really way over the line. I wouldn't blame him for a second if he pirated the game, he has every right to it.

And yeah, as said in that article above, plenty of companies keep a ToS with this shit backed up. Basically any game you buy isn't yours and they can do whatever the hell they want with it legally. Blizzard in particular had a lot of fun with this.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
So if I dont like the customer, I can just take he's monies and kick him out of my store? Genius! The industry just keeps growning.

Moderator Edit: Do not encourage software piracy/other illegal activies. Read the rules.
Yarr!