BioWare Co-Founder Hasn't Quit

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
BioWare Co-Founder Hasn't Quit

Greg Zeschuk is out of Austin, but not out of BioWare just yet.

Just bringing up BioWare's name can cause a tempest in a teapot, so just imagine what would happen if one of its co-founders up and left. Some sharp-eyed fans noticed that Greg Zeschuk, one of the two men behind BioWare, left his position at BioWare Austin back in May and left only the vaguest forwarding address, prompting speculation that he was getting ready to leave BioWare EA entirely. Luckily, the internet can remain a peaceful place for a little while longer. While Zeschuk has indeed returned to his native Canada, his reasons for doing so are fairly benign, and he is by no means done with BioWare yet.

Zeschuk handed the reins of BioWare Austin, the Texas studio behind Star Wars: The Old Republic over to Matthew Bromberg back in May, but this had less to do with business reasons than personal ones. "My time in Austin was always planned to have a finite endpoint (my family was still living in Edmonton throughout my time in Austin)," wrote Zeschuk in an e-mail to Gamasutra. According to Zeschuk's LinkedIn page, he spent June 2010 to May 2012 there, and after two years away from his family, he was eager to get back to them. Zeschuk has since returned to Edmonton, Alberta to work at the central BioWare studio, and while his role there is not as well-defined as in Austin, he is still very much at work. "I will be able to spend more time on a wider range of BioWare games rather than focusing on just one as I did with SWTOR."

For now, BioWare fans can look forward to many more games under Zeschuk's oversight, although these days, that's likely to make just as many gamers upset as pleased.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/175775/BioWares_Star_Wars_boss_takes_on_broader_role.php]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
So I guess we can stop speculating on "EA absorbing Bioware" for at least a little while longer.

Nov 28, 2007
And thus we learn once again to not blindly believe rumours that are created by "an anonymous source". Only to forget this lesson once again upon the next rumour's creation.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I'm glad Zeschuk hasn't quit. If one of the originals leaves Bioware, I'm afraid of what EA will think of doing next. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all at this point.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Ha, just last week this Matthew Bromberg guy made a statement as GM of Bioware Austin and people were saying 'who the hell is this guy we never heard of until now?' When this Greg thing happened they could have put 2 and 2 together.

[sub]ooh a new kind of captcha. I wonder what will happen if I say a kitten is bigger than Texas? [/sub]

Shavon513

Apr 5, 2010
AbstractStream said:
I'm glad Zeschuk hasn't quit. If one of the originals leaves Bioware, I'm afraid of what EA will think of doing next. Or maybe it doesn't matter at all at this point.
It doesn't really matter.. Unless they do a complete turnaround with the Dragon Age series, it looks like Bioware has ceased to exist as we know it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Good for Zeschuk for not leaving Bioware, but the head line made it sound like a bunch of non-news. "This just in: guy gets to keep his job. More on this story as it develops."

captcha: that sounds so wrong out of context

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
Unless they can get a better lead writer than Drew Karpyshyn then it doesn't really matter b/c the stories in their games are going to be like the ending of ME3, the part Drew didn't work on. The man may have always wrote what he knew, but he sure was good at it, and could vary it enough to be fun every time.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
And how does this matter exactly?
There has been no evidence sofar that these guys can keep EA at bay, so their departure wouldn't affect a darn thing.

OK if they left and made a new company that would be worth a look at.