BioWare Confirms Dragon Age III: Inquisition

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Confirms Dragon Age III: Inquisition

As expected, the Inquisition is coming.

The first purported look at Dragon Age III broke to the surface back in August [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119172-Rumor-Survey-Spills-Details-on-Dragon-Age-3], when a BioWare Social Network user shone a light on a survey he'd taken which he claimed revealed details about the next chapter in the Dragon Age saga. According to the rumor, Dragon Age III will be subtitled Inquisition and take place in the land of Orlais, where the Templars have turned away from the Chantry, mages are rebelling and the world hovers on the edge of chaos.

Whether or not that background information proves to be accurate, Executive Producer Mark Darrah confirmed today that the new Dragon Age game will in fact be called Inquisition. "Not a big surprise to most of you, I know," he wrote. "We have been working on it in some way for about two years now with the bulk of our efforts ramping up about 18 months ago."

Darrah said that many of the people working on the game have been around since Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Ultimate-Xbox-360/dp/B0045ZIENQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347897115&sr=8-1&keywords=dragon+age+origins] and that the team is working on a new engine which will offer "a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization." The studio doesn't want to talk too much about the game until it's got something to show, Darrah explained, so everything else is hush-hush right now.

Dragon Age III: Inquisition is currently expected to be out in late 2013.

Source: BioWare Blog [http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/17/a-blog-from-mark-darrah-dragon-age-iii-inquisition/]

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
something something EAs gonna ruin this game as well

This is how this goes right?

---

Either way not much interest for this after Biowares last few games. :(

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
I'm going to go against the grain and give BioWare the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if they have learned from their mistakes.

When Dragon Age III comes out we'll find out.

Oct 30, 2010
Cautiously interested; DA2 had a few flashes of being an alright game.

The mage situation in the DA universe is somewhat novel, but I'm not sure it's strong enough to be the focus of the 2nd and 3rd games...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Just... make it an RPG this time, okay Bioware?

That's all I'm asking for.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Well, it has a subtitle, which implies some kind of improvement over DA2 already. Maybe this one will actually have a more focused narrative.

Also on the upside it's coming out 2.5 years after DA2 rather than 1.5. So, again, hopefully have more time to be fleshed out.

Still not anywhere near convinced this will be good, but there is some hope on the horizon.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They're gonna ruin it with some kind of insane DLC model and probably some unnecessary multiplayer mode. Perhaps even both at once.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Hey if the title is anything to go by there's going to be a lot of prejudice and religulous stuff going on that I can fight against.

I will love this as long as I get to overthrow an oppressive dogmatic religious institution.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I'm very wary of this. For one thing, DA2 was a lot worse than DA:O (which I loved) and I didn't enjoy it as much as i'd hoped. Another thing i'm worried about is the fact that this is Bioware and EA so who knows what kind of multiplayer they might latch onto it and what kind of fucked up storyline it might end up having.

I'l keep an eye on this at least.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Really?

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice same on me. You already fooled me for a seconed time. No more.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
What first popped into my mind:

And while I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, I won't pre-order this one like I did with 2, I'll wait for unbiased reviews.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Meh, as far as I'm concerned between now and Project Eternity there aren't any RPGs going to be released.

Bioware has been absorbed into the EA borg. Look for tacked on multiplayer, consolized interface, and Origin exclusivity in this one. Wait let me add more....day 1 DLC, online pass codes, "optional" multiplayer that is actually gamechanging, more money spent on marketing than development, more money spent on executives and shareholders than development, pretty pictures but shallow forgettable gameplay, or linear railroad gameplay into scripted sequences that make for good looking trailers, lack of support for mods or player made content and player run servers, in game marketing....etc etc etc.

Bioware is dead.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I should be saying something about dragon age 2/ mass effect 3.

I've played neither of those games. I've played dragon age origins, enjoyed it but struggled with the hardcore RPG mechanics and it's simply that big that I'll probably never actually finish it, and I've played up to a point in mass effect 2 before hearing about Mass effect 3 having a bad ending and kinda losing motivation.

Instead my first thought is "I smell a lawsuit from the makers of that indie game released on GOG a little while ago simply called 'Inquisition"

Anyway, I'll keep a cautious eye on it.

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Azaraxzealot said:
Hey if the title is anything to go by there's going to be a lot of prejudice and religulous stuff going on that I can fight against.

I will love this as long as I get to overthrow an oppressive dogmatic religious institution.
You know, just for once, I'd like to establish an oppressive dogmatic religious institution and give those bloody mages what's coming to them. The Emperor Protects, Suffer Not the Psyker and all that.

Ahem.

Hopefully, this will include a full suite of social networking functionality, so as I can tweet my choices to my vast horde of followers. 'Cause they'll want to know. Yep.

El Danny

Dec 7, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Meh, as far as I'm concerned between now and Project Eternity there aren't any RPGs going to be released.

Bioware has been absorbed into the EA borg. Look for tacked on multiplayer, consolized interface, and Origin exclusivity in this one. Wait let me add more....day 1 DLC, online pass codes, "optional" multiplayer that is actually gamechanging, more money spent on marketing than development, more money spent on executives and shareholders than development, pretty pictures but shallow forgettable gameplay, or linear railroad gameplay into scripted sequences that make for good looking trailers, lack of support for mods or player made content and player run servers, in game marketing....etc etc etc.

Bioware is dead.
Disagree, Mass Effect 1-3 was amazing, Dragon Age 1-2 are my favourite RPGs of all time. I suspect one again Bioware will make an astounding game only to be crucified by the community for a pick or two in the crust of an otherwise brilliant game.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
As long as they make it a lot less repetitive than DA2, it should turn it out okay. I'll be renting it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm expecting to require origin so I'm gonna probably ignore it.