BioWare Confirms Mass Effect Andromeda Release Delayed to 2017

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
BioWare Confirms Mass Effect Andromeda Release Delayed to 2017

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1320/1320624.jpg

In a new blog post, Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare, confirmed that Mass Effect Andromeda has been delayed to release in "early 2017."

BioWare General Manager Aaryn Flynn confirmed in a blog post today that [http://www.masseffect.com/news/an-update-on-mass-effect-andromeda.html?utm_campaign=mea_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_social-global-ic-tw-may-update-blog&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=5196&ts=1462896432812&sf46188292=1] Mass Effect Andromeda has been delayed to early 2017, with more updates coming at E3 next month. Flynn wrote that the team "is exploring how far they can take this beloved franchise."

"Yes, we're building the best of what we all love about Mass Effect - amazing stories, characters and fun third-person shooter combat - and bringing them along with us on the expedition to Andromeda," the post reads. "But we're also excited to be introducing new features and ways you can enjoy a Mass Effect game."

"As we've been playing the game at the studio recently, it's showing us that we're taking the game in the right direction. But we also know we need the right amount of time to make sure we deliver everything the game can be and should be - that's our commitment from all of us to all of you," Flynn continued. "Because of that, Mass Effect: Andromeda will now ship in early 2017. We can't wait to show you how far we're all going to go. We'll see you at the EA PLAY press conference on June 12, with an update."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/730076818791800832]

Mass Effect Andromeda was announced at E3 2015 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14096-EA-Unveils-New-Mass-Effect-Game-Reveals-Name], with an expected arrival of Holiday 2016.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
I'll try and generate some enthusiasm....

woot.. snnnoorreeeee!

I'm sorry, but the end of Mass Effect 3 was, for me - I do not speak for others - a complete and total slap in the face for those who played the franchise from it's beginning.

They screwed it up so badly, painted themselves into a corner SO BADLY that they have to go to another galaxy to excuse the mess...

I'm not being hyped, not this time. Reviews 1st... from pros and actual gamers, before I purchase.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't mind. I would rather have to wait if the result game is better for it.

I just want to get some details. Who is the main character? Where does it fit relative to the time frame of the trilogy? What "go to another galaxy" means in terms of familiar and new races? Come on Bioware, give us something...

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
hermes said:
I don't mind. I would rather have to wait if the result game is better for it.

I just want to get some details. Who is the main character? Where does it fit relative to the time frame of the trilogy? What "go to another galaxy" means in terms of familiar and new races? Come on Bioware, give us something...
That's gonna have to wait until E3. Just another month or so.

I'm sure that Bioware knows that they're treading on thin ice, so they're going to be extra certain that they get this game right. Mass Effect 3 wasn't bad enough to make me uninterested in new entries in the series, but it was bad enough to make me skeptical. It doesn't help that Dragon Age: Inquisition was decidedly mediocre; Bioware needs a hit with their next game to win their fans back.

As far as I'm concerned, they can take as much time as they need, within reason. I'd rather they not rush it like they did with ME3.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
Whatever. I want to see whether the game can restore some measure of faith in Bioware as a studio for me (I used to think they could do no wrong pre-Dragon Age 2) but other than that I have no hype whatsoever. Guess it is better they delay than release early. But I can't help but feel they aren't delaying to make it the best game they can, but because all their talent left and the remaining members are floundering.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
KaraFang said:
I'll try and generate some enthusiasm....

woot.. snnnoorreeeee!

I'm sorry, but the end of Mass Effect 3 was, for me - I do not speak for others - a complete and total slap in the face for those who played the franchise from it's beginning.

They screwed it up so badly, painted themselves into a corner SO BADLY that they have to go to another galaxy to excuse the mess...
You may not speak for me, but you stole the words right out of my mouth. 3's ending is still such a sore spot for me that I can't manage to even get the "woot" out before I fall asleep. There was a time when news of a delay in the Mass Effect series would make me sad, but now I'm just...whatever.

"we deliver everything the game can be and should be". So...you're going to give me back Shepard and give me an ending where she does get to spend the rest of her life with Liara? Because seriously, that is about the only way I'm going to care.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Should be an interesting game. For me, ME3s ending wasnt an issue, i was disapointed that my choices in ME1 were mostly continued in ME2 as emails or that a character choice i made in ME1 didnt matter as i still couldnt havthem in my team eg Wrex. Plus alot of your choices rarely mattered for the most part, I killed the last Rachni queen and another turned up in ME3. So once it got to ME3 it never bothered me. Granted that ME3 ending came out of no where and was pretty dumb and rushed. But the game up to then was fun.

hiddendragonv5

Apr 18, 2009
I personally can't really generate enthusiasm for Andromeda after what happened with ME3 ending, it will make Andromeda world drastically different from player to player as it would also, be really hard to write without ignoring it and it's effects which might be the idea there going with but I hope I'm wrong.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I guess it doesn't matter when they release it, since I won't be buying it. I'm not sure if I'd ever been as hyped for a game as I was for ME3. Now, I just can't seem to care.

I swear, this happens every time. Mass Effect 3, Dark Souls 3... just once I'd love to be hyped for a game and have it actually be everything I was hoping for.

Nov 28, 2007
If it makes the game better, I'm all for it. It's a shame, since I'm looking forward to it, but I'd rather wait a few months for polishing then have it rushed out and mediocre.

That said...to everyone who doesn't care, has no enthusiasm after ME3, etc.: why are you posting in the comments of a news article that you have no interest in? Wouldn't it be wiser to just pass over the article, since it isn't aimed at the same audience you belong to? You aren't wrong for not looking forward to or caring about ME:A. After all, you have your reasons for feeling that way. But it seems contradictory to read articles you don't care about, then commenting how much you don't care.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I never really bought into the Mass Effect marketing of "every choice shapes your destiny" (i mean, did we learn nothing from the fable series??)...so the ending didn't bother me much. It was what i mostly expected, given the limitations of video games. Am not sure how people could've been convinced that would even be possible. But people believe what they want to believe. Abandon all hope, i say. Join me in the murky waters of distrust and despair. It's warm...really...come on in!
However, it would be nice to know more about this Andromeda title than the faint echoes of microtransactions bouncing out of the caves of EA. It is now another one of life's certainties; Death, taxes and microtransactions in your EA titles.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
thebobmaster said:
That said...to everyone who doesn't care, has no enthusiasm after ME3, etc.: why are you posting in the comments of a news article that you have no interest in? Wouldn't it be wiser to just pass over the article, since it isn't aimed at the same audience you belong to? You aren't wrong for not looking forward to or caring about ME:A. After all, you have your reasons for feeling that way. But it seems contradictory to read articles you don't care about, then commenting how much you don't care.
Searching for mutual feelings, a sense of camaraderie in order to find a little bit of solace that you are not alone in your feelings. Furthermore, it is a trivial matter to comment (not write an essay) on something that you do not care about, requiring negligible effort so why not? Better yet, if you also carry a hint that you still care about the property in some way and if someone who is working on the project that has genuine passion for their work reads it. They might just try that much harder. I may only work in a grocery store but customers are frequently not happy with how something is run and comment upon it to me and I normally try my best to help them out anyways. Normally to their satisfaction and compliments which always make my day. I know I may be one of the few people hoping that someone working on the project may see what I have to say (let alone have that on their mind when commenting) but I do not give up hope.

Hell, Angry Joe quoted someone on the Escapist when they pointed out the retarded reasons for a couple of videogame devs being detained in Greece which served to spread the word to a vastly larger audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54s_jyjMUxY&start=1608 The link is already coded to jump to the particular part in the video. The Escapist has stopped accepting the &start= addon.

So if it is simply for catharsis (most likely) or because you have a small grain of hope that your reservations are heard there are reasons to comment about something that has left you so jaded that you care little for it anymore.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
KaraFang said:
They screwed it up so badly, painted themselves into a corner SO BADLY that they have to go to another galaxy to excuse the mess.
They still can't get out of the corner entirely, to leave the artistic integrity of the ME3 ending intact they are now forever unable to have AI in the game again (my money is on Andromeda having some space-magic effect which makes it impossible for AIs to function).

They escaped a tiny corner in a room everyone used to love for a larger corner in a room no one really wants.

Nov 28, 2007
Saulkar said:
thebobmaster said:
Searching for mutual feelings, a sense of camaraderie in order to find a little bit of solace that you are not alone in your feelings. Furthermore, it is a trivial matter to comment (not write an essay) on something that you do not care about, requiring negligible effort so why not? Better yet, if you also carry a hint that you still care about the property in some way and if someone who is working on the project that has genuine passion for their work reads it. They might just try that much harder. I may only work in a grocery store but customers are frequently not happy with how something is run and comment upon it to me and I normally try my best to help them out anyways. Normally to their satisfaction and compliments which always make my day. I know I may be one of the few people hoping that someone working on the project may see what I have to say (let alone have that on their mind when commenting) but I do not give up hope.

Hell, Angry Joe quoted someone on the Escapist when they pointed out the retarded reasons for a couple of videogame devs being detained in Greece which served to spread the word to a vastly larger audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54s_jyjMUxY&start=1608 The link is already coded to jump to the particular part in the video. The Escapist has stopped accepting the &start= addon.

So if it is simply for catharsis (most likely) or because you have a small grain of hope that your reservations are heard there are reasons to comment about something that has left you so jaded that you care little for it anymore.
That's all fair. I suppose it sounded like I was saying "don't comment if you aren't in love with the game", and that wasn't my intention. If you have reservations, there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying so. If you have lost faith in the franchise, explaining why is almost always a good idea. I suppose what bothers me are the people who say nothing about why they aren't looking forward to ME:A, nothing about what it could be doing better, no suggestions, just posting pure negativity for the sake of saying "I think this game will suck, because EA." That's the kind of comment that baffles me.

Packadurm

Jun 7, 2011
Pinky said:
They escaped a tiny corner in a room everyone used to love for a larger corner in a room no one really wants.
This sums up what I think about Andromeda perfectly. To me, it was always the universe - the world - of mass effect that I loved so much. It's what made me play through the first and second games multiple times, read the books, and buy the shirts. The characters were okay, and the story was okay most of the time. I definitely didn't play Mass Effect games for the gameplay - that's a laugh.

With Andromeda, they are removing the best part of the series. They are removing the part that we all fell in love with - the universe. No more flotilla, no more omega, no more citadel, no more Blasto, no more Asari, no more Krogan. All we will have in Andromeda will be a few token aliens that make us feel nostalgic; whatever token aliens un-named N7 guy happens to bring with him/her.

In my eyes the only way to have another mass effect game, without ignoring the gut punch that was ME3's ending, is to set it before it happens. I believe the reason Bioware won't do this is because they want to have another 'save the galaxy' story. I have been completely uninterested in Andromeda since I saw the first screenshots, shortly after ME3 came out. I saw the player character's armor, and I saw the N7 on the chest. Bioware must still be sane enough to realize that they can't have a second N7 Hero saving the galaxy at the same time as Shepard. Instead of changing the who, or the what, they are changing the where. I don't think they will ever change the who, as that would mean no more N7 on the armor, and we all know how much they love to pimp out their merchandise. I suppose my assumption about the what - saving the galaxy - might be wrong, but I doubt it. Even if they do change the what, it doesn't matter so long as they are changing the where, as that is what I care about.

Mass Effect Andromeda is a game I have already played, except with the best part removed, micro-transactions, and a change in actors.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am not particularly enthusiastic, but I am also not apathetic. I'm interested to see this new game, but my expectations have been somewhat tempered by EA being EA.

Pickles

That Ice Ain't Nice
Mar 1, 2012
Country
Australia
Pinky said:
KaraFang said:
They screwed it up so badly, painted themselves into a corner SO BADLY that they have to go to another galaxy to excuse the mess.
They still can't get out of the corner entirely, to leave the artistic integrity of the ME3 ending intact they are now forever unable to have AI in the game again (my money is on Andromeda having some space-magic effect which makes it impossible for AIs to function).

Honestly I kind of think they're more likely to just ignore it and carry on as if nothing happened.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
"is exploring how far they can take this beloved franchise."

Well, there you have it. Mass Effect is dead - and I don't give a fuck about what they will turn it into,

unless they give me an ending to ME3.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I have so little hype for it that I keep forgetting they're even making a new Mass Effect. I guess I'll wait and see whether it turns out well or not. Unlike a lot of people, I'm not even bitter about ME3 and its ending since I began playing the series after the controversy, and partially because of the controversy, so there was no hype for them to betray.
Xsjadoblayde said:
I never really bought into the Mass Effect marketing of "every choice shapes your destiny" (i mean, did we learn nothing from the fable series??)...so the ending didn't bother me much. It was what i mostly expected, given the limitations of video games. Am not sure how people could've been convinced that would even be possible. But people believe what they want to believe. Abandon all hope, i say. Join me in the murky waters of distrust and despair. It's warm...really...come on in!
However, it would be nice to know more about this Andromeda title than the faint echoes of microtransactions bouncing out of the caves of EA. It is now another one of life's certainties; Death, taxes and microtransactions in your EA titles.
I think that's a rather defeatist attitude. While I'm well aware they aren't going to make a fully reactive story that branches off into hundreds of distinct endings, you make it sound as if they pulled off even a decent effort as far as reactivity goes. Of course the branches would have to converge to some extent in order to make it even possible, but it converged far more than anyone would have expected; far more than acceptable.

Not to contradict that part about not being bitter, but despite my relative apathy over it I'm still aware of how shit the ending was and how little effort they put into making any of the decisions count at all. Expecting them to deliver even a small fraction of what they promised isn't the same as naively drinking the cool-aid.