BioWare Confirms Space Combat For Star Wars: The Old Republic

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
ugh, I dont want to get sucked into another mmo, I really dont but Im not sure Ill be able to resist this

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
If I can relive the days of the N64 Rogue Squadron (or even some Star Fox goodness), then I'm sold. I hope we can not only use the ships on space, but on separate "special" missions to go on blasting things in land... maybe destorying some AT-ATs... it would be awesome.

This is WAY too good to be true, I'm kinda psyched for this game already, but I'm still kinda cautious.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
s_glasgow99 said:
You know what, I'm starting to get a "World of Starcraft" too-good-to-be-true vibe on this one. Yes they want our support, but unless they're playing this game on several separate engines, this game is going to even more stretched equivalent to the GTA games. Only now, it's online, there's fully realized planets, space combat, a STORY ARC in a NON LINEAR, COOPERATIVE NARRATIVE!!! I don't want to sound like the guy with a doomsday sign, but it all sounds WAY too good to work, at least now. Trust me though, I want to be pleasantly surprised, but I really have my doubts.
Actually the Hero Engine is perfectly capable of doing both, ground combat and space combat as well, as supplied by the link in another thread on these forums I think. Just type Hero Engine Space into youtube and you should see how it's possibly gonna look, though it is a different project there. Still, it proves the Hero Engine is more than capable of a sweet space experience.

As for how this'll be pulled off...I get the whole 'too good to be true' vibe really. It's especially prevalent around MMOs too. But...something tells me the picture will crystalize even more during this last year and even moreso when the public beta finally launches.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
darthzew said:
FungiGamer said:
darthzew said:
That's just plain awesome. The Old Republic was looking great, now it's looking absolutely fan-friggin'-tastic. Every time I see news about it, it just keeps getting better.

I now actually believe that The Old Republic will take down World of Warcraft.
I wouldn't say it'll completely take WoW down, but it will AT LEAST give WoW a run for it's money
WoW's been on the throne for a long time now. I think it's about time someone took the mantle and I don't think there will ever be a better candidate.
Different worlds, at least thats my view. I love Mass Effect AND DA:O worldviews, but one of my good friends loves fantasy but put the word Science in any of it and he'll be completely turned off.
My Opinion: It will be a competitor, but for people who prefer one will despise the other and vice versa.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
Loonerinoes said:
s_glasgow99 said:
You know what, I'm starting to get a "World of Starcraft" too-good-to-be-true vibe on this one. Yes they want our support, but unless they're playing this game on several separate engines, this game is going to even more stretched equivalent to the GTA games. Only now, it's online, there's fully realized planets, space combat, a STORY ARC in a NON LINEAR, COOPERATIVE NARRATIVE!!! I don't want to sound like the guy with a doomsday sign, but it all sounds WAY too good to work, at least now. Trust me though, I want to be pleasantly surprised, but I really have my doubts.
Actually the Hero Engine is perfectly capable of doing both, ground combat and space combat as well, as supplied by the link in another thread on these forums I think. Just type Hero Engine Space into youtube and you should see how it's possibly gonna look, though it is a different project there. Still, it proves the Hero Engine is more than capable of a sweet space experience.

As for how this'll be pulled off...I get the whole 'too good to be true' vibe really. It's especially prevalent around MMOs too. But...something tells me the picture will crystalize even more during this last year and even moreso when the public beta finally launches.

Touche, I'll admit I haven't researched what kind of engine they're using, just being an avid gamer of the time, I thought I knew a lot of the limits technology might impede on us at this stage.
Now what I really interested in though, is how they plan on fulfilling their promise of a fully developed, working story arc in a non linear, massively cooperative game, without forcing the player to be logged on and playing during key times. In stuff like WOW, and AION, changes will occur offline, with plot updates through video, or text updates as the game is upgraded by the supplying company, but that removes the characters from being integral key players in the story, which is what Bioware is claiming the players will be here. Now I will say that MMOs are not my cup of tea, my game repertoire mainly consists of puzzle, action, and adventure games, story being my key draw if not gameplay, but if Bioware pulls it off, they can count on my supscription!

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
The best flight sim games I've played are considered small. Whenever people attempt flight combat on a large scale, it's riddled with failure. SWTOR just keeps raising the bar for it self, can't help but feel that it's trying too hard, really hoping everything is refined rather than more content with issues.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
This is very interesting to me and I hope it mimics the Space Combat of Star Wars Galaxies "Jump to Lightspeed" Expansion. That was a similar "alternative" gameplay that wasn't mandatory, but was quite fun in it's own right.

If the follow the same POB type style of the bigger ships in Galaxies, I will be a happy camper. Nothing was cooler than being on a ship's bridge looking out as your guildmates manned turrets, piloted the ship, fixed broken components etc. It's a unique experience that I haven't seen in any other game (I don't know if EVE does a similar style or it is has a one person per ship maximum like all the other MMO's with ships (like Star Trek or Pirates of the Burning Sea).

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
The more i read about this game the more it smells of win. Been looking forward to it since i heard about it and everyday i'm starting to want it more and more and more and more... and more.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
To all those with concerns about SWTOR: Guys, it's Bioware. They got this.

To all those worried about getting sucked into a(nother) MMO: Come on, you know it's gonna happen, so just submit now.

And to the rest of you: I'm ridiculously excited about this. Space combat in the same ship as my friends was the best part about SWG, and this was the last feature I was hoping Bioware would put in the game. Anything beyond this is just icing on the cake. If only the game wasn't 9 months from release...

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
FungiGamer said:
darthzew said:
That's just plain awesome. The Old Republic was looking great, now it's looking absolutely fan-friggin'-tastic. Every time I see news about it, it just keeps getting better.

I now actually believe that The Old Republic will take down World of Warcraft.
I wouldn't say it'll completely take WoW down, but it will AT LEAST give WoW a run for it's money
I've got a feeling the competition this will generate will be great for players of both games, as I imagine they'll have to keep each game in top spec to challenge the other.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
This sounds amazing but I fear it might lead to a lot of hype and the end product failing (e.g. Fable II)

I really hope that it is good though

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Each time something is revealed about this game, I feel my love of WoW disapearing.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Love ship combat! TYime to go pew pew with our lazer guns!

It should add an extra level of depth to it though!

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Oh god, I am so going to have to take the semester off when this gets released, because there is NO WAY I am going to be able to attend classes and do schoolwork when The Old Republic is JUST THAT AWESOME!

Damn you Bioware, damn you for delaying my education.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
This sounds amazing but I fear it might lead to a lot of hype and the end product failing (e.g. Fable II)

I really hope that it is good though
We also would have accepted "Fable I." If there's one thing Peter Molyneux taught me, it's that I should reserve judgment until I experience the game with my own hands. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Fable, but one of my best friends hated it. And there's a really good reason for both of those things.

See, everything I'd heard about Fable before buying the game was told to me by that friend. He followed all of the news about it and was ready for it to be the game that changed the industry, while I was just ready for a new game. While it certainly wasn't terrible, it sure as hell wasn't what my friend had been led to believe it was going to be.

Now, do I think that The Old Republic is going to be a flop? Absolutely not. But at the same time, I also remember Jade Empire. That, too, was a good game that just didn't live up to the hype, and--more importantly--couldn't step out of the shadow if its big brother, KotOR.

I guess what I'm saying is that, for all of you in this thread who are thinking, "They might as well shut down the industry after this, because it's going to be the best game ever," you should really learn to take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
jwien001 said:
To all those with concerns about SWTOR: Guys, it's Bioware. They got this.

To all those worried about getting sucked into a(nother) MMO: Come on, you know it's gonna happen, so just submit now.

And to the rest of you: I'm ridiculously excited about this. Space combat in the same ship as my friends was the best part about SWG, and this was the last feature I was hoping Bioware would put in the game. Anything beyond this is just icing on the cake. If only the game wasn't 9 months from release...
Ah yes, I loved SWG's POBs but I'm not sure if this will work exactly like that did. It would be cool though if you could have a friend fly and fight with you manning the turrets.

You know, SOE may have sucked at patching the game but the stuff they originally added was pretty clever and new to MMOs, I just hope Bioware can salvage everything good from SWG and do it even better