BioWare Confirms Space Combat For Star Wars: The Old Republic

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
a star wars mmo without space battle would have been so wrong. I will just hope for the best.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I'm tickled pink that Old Republic will have space combat, but I highly doubt it will have the same feel as X-Wing or Tie Fighter. Probably more like that cheese Starfighter with 3rd person view.
I eagerly await the PC Gamer come October, though I wouldn't be surprised if those screenshots get leaked before then.

And a kick in the butt for Tom for showing that wonderful old screenshot and getting me all nostalgic again.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
It sounds like they're taking the things that were good about Galaxies and putting them in here. Here's hoping it actually works.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure he means "This is an alternative to the other things you can do in the game."

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
FungiGamer said:
jwien001 said:
To all those with concerns about SWTOR: Guys, it's Bioware. They got this.

To all those worried about getting sucked into a(nother) MMO: Come on, you know it's gonna happen, so just submit now.

And to the rest of you: I'm ridiculously excited about this. Space combat in the same ship as my friends was the best part about SWG, and this was the last feature I was hoping Bioware would put in the game. Anything beyond this is just icing on the cake. If only the game wasn't 9 months from release...
Ah yes, I loved SWG's POBs but I'm not sure if this will work exactly like that did. It would be cool though if you could have a friend fly and fight with you manning the turrets.

You know, SOE may have sucked at patching the game but the stuff they originally added was pretty clever and new to MMOs, I just hope Bioware can salvage everything good from SWG and do it even better
I hope so too. SWG had it's flaws, but it did a great job adapting Star Wars into an MMO and making the player feel as if they were in the Star Wars universe. Bioware would be foolish not to use SWG as a case study for how to make a Star Wars MMO, because they can learn a lot from it. Personally, I hope they take notes from WoW as well.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
It's still not the Civil War so I still don't care in the slightest.

Oh well, at the very least hopefully it brings the focus back towards space combat and opens the door for X-Wing vs TIE Fighter 2 or something.

I'm so goddamn sick of lightsabers already.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
FAILBOYS OWNED! Hah!

Ahh...

Seriously, I do have doubts about this game, but it's always good to see pathological haters proven wrong. In the face. HARD.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
I'm really hoping they nail this. I mean, I have enjoyed EVERY Bioware game that they made, but it is true that they haven't made an mmo before. So yeah... I'm kind of hesitantly optimistic about this game...

Ah, screw that! I'M HYPED!!!!

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Galaxies had this and it worked damn well. Surely they could have just cut and pasted that version, polish up the graphics and re-model so it's old republic style?

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Fidelias said:
I'm really hoping they nail this. I mean, I have enjoyed EVERY Bioware game that they made, but it is true that they haven't made an mmo before. So yeah... I'm kind of hesitantly optimistic about this game...

Ah, screw that! I'M HYPED!!!!
Even.... *shudder* Sonic Chronicles?

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
jwien001 said:
To all those with concerns about SWTOR: Guys, it's Bioware. They got this.
Is this the same BioWare that can't find "the world" on a map, includes characters with direct links to DLC in their speech options and is somehow praised for putting out the same story again and again with the only variation being the proliferation of guns in the setting? Excuse me if I remain unconvinced...

Don't tget me wrong, I have enjoyed many BioWare games, but they are not the infallible godlings some people think they are. Luckily one of my mates would buy a dog crap if it had Star Wars on it, so I'm waiting to try it out first.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
I'm getting more excited with every bit of info revealed. I really like MMOs, but WoW just hasn't kept my attention like it once did. Canceled my subscription a couple months back, but I don't think I'll regret it if this game is as fun as I hope it will be. Space battles. In our own ships. Sweet.

Zoard

Jul 13, 2010
This game just keeps giving and giving. Just hope Bioware can pull this off.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
DOWHAT?! *Spit take*

Dusting off the old Attack 3 right now. All the bashing I did to it when it lost calibration through my constant playing of X wing: Alliance (the last space sim you've ever played), it is high dry time for it to get a workout.

TGTBT.

SnwMan

Jun 21, 2010
One Gripe i have with this news (only one mind you) is that having all these different gameplay elements, they may be spreading themselves to thin, and some of the other gameplay mechanics may fail, or all of them will. That being said this sounds AWESOME, i loved the old tie fighter sims, and i cant wait to play this ingame.