BioWare Confirms Space Combat For Star Wars: The Old Republic

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioWare Confirms Space Combat For Star Wars: The Old Republic

Though BioWare had already confirmed that players of its Star Wars MMORPG would get ships, now we know they'll be used for more than decoration.

BioWare held a "reveal mission" before the currently ongoing San Diego Comic-Con, asking fans to "like" forum post [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279989714&sr=8-7] that the upcoming MMORPG will feature space combat.

This is great news to an old-school Tie Fighter [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Collectors-CD-ROM-Pc/dp/B00000K57P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279989753&sr=1-1-spell] fan like myself (best flight combat games ever), but what does it really mean for the game? Sadly, we don't know just yet, but Dahlberg did write that space combat will be "an alternative gameplay experience to the primary game of storytelling, questing, and ground-based combat."

"In space combat, you fly your personal ship to various 'hot spots' on your galaxy map," he continues. "From there, you will blast your way through asteroid fields, enemy fighters, frigates, destroyers, and a variety of other obstacles that will evoke memories of some of the great Star Wars space battles."

Because Dahlberg is calling the space combat experience "alternative," I'm going to guess that means it won't simply replicate ground-based combat in space, and will possibly be more fast-paced and similar to LucasArts' classic Star Wars flight sims. We won't have to wait too long to find out, as the October issue of PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/07/23/star-wars-the-old-republic-space-combat-revealed-in-pcg-us/] (which hits newsstands on August 17) will apparently contain a full reveal with screenshots. After seeing the recent gameplay videos of The Old Republic and now with the addition of space combat, I think I'm quickly becoming an Old Republic fanboy.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
"Somebody get in those gun turrets!"

Are we going to control the ship or is it going to be like KotoR where were in a gun turret?
And i do hope this dosent mean were going to have random space battles.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
this may well be the game that makes me start on mmorpgs...
space combat as well as rpg goodness...

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
The space combat in Galaxies was actually pretty cool, sharing a lot of common ground with Freelancer in terms of playstyle and experience. This was a pretty good thing, and generally the only thing I really enjoyed about Galaxies when I tried it out last year.

If they carry that sort of style over I'll be overjoyed. It's certainly more 'twitch' based gameplay, but it's a welcome change and offers a lot of different avenues for advancement within the standard game setting.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
If they mirror the greatness that was the Star wars flight sims I am signed up right now. Following an "EVE" model would be acceptable. I did enjoy the combat in that game. But I'd far rather have my crew manning the turrets. It sounds like this might be more mini-game instancing than full on PVP arenas though. We shall see... I wish they would just make a modern X-wing game though...

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Now the reborn hawk will fight for the jedi...IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

OT: I already called this a couple of weeks ago when they said we have our own ships, good to see more good things huh?

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I was already planning on getting The Old Republic, but this just makes me want it more. I still need to figure out what class I want to be, I can't decide. It is still awhile until it comes out, but I can't wait.

I want it now!

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Because Dahlberg is calling the space combat experience "alternative," I'm going to guess that means it won't simply replicate ground-based combat in space, and will possibly be more fast-paced and similar to LucasArts' classic Star Wars flight sims.
No, I think what he meant is that it will be like Star Wars Galaxies in which space combat isn't mandatory, you could instead skip fights and just jump to lightspeed to different planets OR jump to a landmark "hotspot" area in space (such as an asteroid belt a la Empire Strikes Back) and fly around shooting down enemies there. In other words, it's probably an optional alternative style of gameplay you can enjoy in the game if you somehow get tired of doing ground missions and want to instead get into a dogfight in space.

Great, so this looks like TOR will be like Star Wars Galaxies if it weren't being run by a bunch of brainless gits! WOOT!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I think this is appropriate here:
Goddammit BioWare, I thought I wanted this game a lot, but just...come ooon!!! Even if it's just a mini-game, the fact that it's in is just awesome on it's own.

Replica of the Wilde Karrde here I come! Yeah I don't want to join the Falcon/Ebon Hawk hordes.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
That's just plain awesome. The Old Republic was looking great, now it's looking absolutely fan-friggin'-tastic. Every time I see news about it, it just keeps getting better.

I now actually believe that The Old Republic will take down World of Warcraft.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I wonder if I'm the only one who is a little put off by something like this? I mean Star Trek tried to do the same thing, make a world with two different mechanics space and ground fighting, and in the end one suffered. Heck even WoW still hasn't mastered vehicle fighting. Yes, I am a pessimist, and it feels like I'm not giving Bioware a shot, but its hard to have faith when so many companies have failed by trying to juggle too many things on release. This just seems to me to be another spinning plate that is going to come crashing down. Only time will tell but I'd put my money that diverting resources to make a new combat system for space battles will either take away from ground fighting or just make the space system lackluster.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
darthzew said:
That's just plain awesome. The Old Republic was looking great, now it's looking absolutely fan-friggin'-tastic. Every time I see news about it, it just keeps getting better.

I wouldn't say it'll completely take WoW down, but it will AT LEAST give WoW a run for it's money

Nossy

Jul 18, 2008
Well, if it's like X-Wing and Tie Fighter or even Jump to Lightspeed for SWG, I will buy the game. I've been very hesitant about getting the Old Republic due to a lot of things seeming WoW-ish.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
FungiGamer said:
darthzew said:

I wouldn't say it'll completely take WoW down, but it will AT LEAST give WoW a run for it's money
WoW's been on the throne for a long time now. I think it's about time someone took the mantle and I don't think there will ever be a better candidate.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
You know what, I'm starting to get a "World of Starcraft" too-good-to-be-true vibe on this one. Yes they want our support, but unless they're playing this game on several separate engines, this game is going to even more stretched equivalent to the GTA games. Only now, it's online, there's fully realized planets, space combat, a STORY ARC in a NON LINEAR, COOPERATIVE NARRATIVE!!! I don't want to sound like the guy with a doomsday sign, but it all sounds WAY too good to work, at least now. Trust me though, I want to be pleasantly surprised, but I really have my doubts.