BioWare Finally Confirms and Details Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Normandyfoxtrot said:
SageRuffin said:
While I don't mind the co-op multiplayer, I'm not liking how it's implemented. This implies that in order to guarantee said "perfect ending", you're more or less forced into doing the side missions (much like how you were railroaded in to doing each character's personal missions if you wanted everyone alive in ME2 - while they were of course optional, you probably weren't gonna like the results of going into the final mission if you skipped them).

I may have to skip this (the multiplayer), but we'll see what happens.
Your insistence on nothing short of perfection isn't role playing. If it was railroading you would be required to do them to continue.
I figured someone would call me out on that - it was a bad choice of words, I will certainly admit to that. But I don't see how I'm "insisting on perfection". I want my character to save the galaxy, sure, but I want her to do it on her own terms (I mean, you know, playing the game through my character's perspective instead of extending my own unto the character). The way the news story is putting it, while I certainly don't have to do the multiplayer missions, if I want a better chance at getting the best ending, it'd be a good idea to invest some time into said mission. You may think it's all good, but I'm certainly not feeling that (although I'm probably talking in extremes; I like to expect the worse).

And in regards to the personal missions in ME2, you gotta admit admit they could've been better handled, at least in relation to the suicide mission that is. Even if your Shep was at odds with another character (like mine with Jack), unless you skipped the mission and/or purposefully put them in an improper role, they were guaranteed to survive. I dunno about you, but the only time that seemed to be randomized was one time when I did everyone's personal mission and put everyone in good roles, but still lost Tali, and even then, that was most likely because I didn't release Grunt from his tank. So if I did, I might've lost Grunt instead of Tali (it's just as well, don't really care for Grunt).

So... yeah. If anything, I'll save the co-op for achievement grinding.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
I've just come across some rather interesting information [http://stickskills.com/2011/10/11/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-details-revealed/] detailing some aspects of the multiplayer.

Having read this, I'm intruiged. This sounds like it could really be fun if done well. Granted, some bits of the info do seem strange, like that first item on the list....

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
animehermit said:
carpathic said:
"Priestly also made it clear that the development of the multiplayer had not had an adverse effect on the single player mode, "

I just know this is a dirty, dirty lie.

I cannot think of a game improved by multiplayer except Halo, and that is only better when playing with your friends in the same living room.

ME1 was the pinnacle of this series, here is hoping 3 is at least as good as 2.
Portal 2, Trine, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Metal Gear Solid 4, Left 4 Dead (1 and 2), Gears of War(all 3 of them), Dead island, Battlefield series, Magicka, Minecraft, Terraria, Frozen Synapse, Starcraft series, Diablo series, every single warcraft title. That's just off the top of my head.

EDIT: Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, every single pokemon title.
Excepting Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo I did not like any of those games to start with. THose games I preferred to play on my computer at home. Again, my experience was not improved by having multiplayer, having seen my friends play those games online, and the griefers etc, I don't know that their experiences were made markedly better either.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I don't think you read any more of my posts or caught the sarcasm.
I definitely caught your sarcasm. I'm just saying that I agree with the point you are being flippant about. You werent being serious with what you said, but I was. Multiplayer has no place here, optional or not.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
Are you saying it has no place in single player RPGs at all? Or just in this instance, because god forbid a dev do something different?
It doesnt have a place in any single player RPGs. Games like this are shaped and created by MY choices, your game is shaped by your choices, etc. etc. There is no place for anyone in that game but you. Sure, they are going to say, "it doesnt take away from the single player experience". Does anyone honestly think they would come out and go, "Sorry guys... the single player will still be good, but not quite as good because.... oooh, we now have multiplayer!!" That would be akin to dev suicide, and they would never say that. I still dont buy it. I also think that multiplayer has its place in the gaming world. This is not that place.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
In the words of Big Kev: I'm excited.

I'm still a bit apprehensive about the way they've chosen to tie it to the single player campaign, but I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see it in action.

Wonder if the next step is a Mass Effect MMO?

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
After two entries that I liked, why are they screwing with the formula... RPG's don't work as multi-player co-op.

And ME's combat system wasn't so enthralling I'd feel like doing it in challenge maps.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
animehermit said:
carpathic said:
animehermit said:
carpathic said:
"Priestly also made it clear that the development of the multiplayer had not had an adverse effect on the single player mode, "

I cannot think of a game improved by multiplayer except Halo, and that is only better when playing with your friends in the same living room.

Portal 2, Trine, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Metal Gear Solid 4, Left 4 Dead (1 and 2), Gears of War(all 3 of them), Dead island, Battlefield series, Magicka, Minecraft, Terraria, Frozen Synapse, Starcraft series, Diablo series, every single warcraft title. That's just off the top of my head.

Excepting Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo I did not like any of those games to start with. THose games I preferred to play on my computer at home. Again, my experience was not improved by having multiplayer, having seen my friends play those games online, and the griefers etc, I don't know that their experiences were made markedly better either.
Yet I still proved you wrong with 3 games, it's not my fault that you have such an extreme dislike for video games. Also, you can't honestly tell me that Left 4 Dead is better being a single player only game, seriously.

Let's add to the list:

Super Mario Brothers, Castle Crashers, Borderlands, Contra, Super Smash Bros series, Rock Band/Guitar Hero, Donkey Kong Country series, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Blaze Blue, King of Fighters, Dead or Alive, Alien Swarm, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 1/2, Pong, Smash TV, Sonic the Hedgehog, Double Dragon, TNMT: Turtles in Time, Streets of Rage, Goldeneye, Mario Party, Mario Cart, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Monster Hunter. I know there's more, will add more when I can think of some.
I do not have an extreme dislike for video games. You are trying to put words in my mouth. I have been playing, and loving video games for more than 20 years. I think perhaps we like different things; in games.

Your persistence on this matter further reminds me of why I have no interest in having multiplayer in my games. Also, for the record, you did not prove me "wrong" you stated a subjective opinion that was as equally (in)valid as my own. Stating "I am correct" does not make it so.

You have just given a big list of games, most of which I am not a huge fan of. I enjoyed Streets of Rage a great deal, Borderlands was great fun all by myself, I also liked Mariocart, all by myself. Sonic,: Same deal. Super Mario Brothers also. I quite appreciate you trying to come up with a list of these games, some of which I have enjoyed, but I do not agree with your subjective opinion that they are/were made any better through the addition of multiplayer.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
animehermit said:
carpathic said:
animehermit said:
carpathic said:

Yet I still proved you wrong with 3 games, it's not my fault that you have such an extreme dislike for video games. Also, you can't honestly tell me that Left 4 Dead is better being a single player only game, seriously.

Let's add to the list:

Super Mario Brothers, Castle Crashers, Borderlands, Contra, Super Smash Bros series, Rock Band/Guitar Hero, Donkey Kong Country series, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Blaze Blue, King of Fighters, Dead or Alive, Alien Swarm, Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 1/2, Pong, Smash TV, Sonic the Hedgehog, Double Dragon, TNMT: Turtles in Time, Streets of Rage, Goldeneye, Mario Party, Mario Cart, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Monster Hunter. I know there's more, will add more when I can think of some.
I do not have an extreme dislike for video games. You are trying to put words in my mouth. I have been playing, and loving video games for more than 20 years. I think perhaps we like different things; in games.

Your persistence on this matter further reminds me of why I have no interest in having multiplayer in my games. Also, for the record, you did not prove me "wrong" you stated a subjective opinion that was as equally (in)valid as my own. Stating "I am correct" does not make it so.

You have just given a big list of games, most of which I am not a huge fan of. I enjoyed Streets of Rage a great deal, Borderlands was great fun all by myself, I also liked Mariocart, all by myself. Sonic,: Same deal. Super Mario Brothers also. I quite appreciate you trying to come up with a list of these games, some of which I have enjoyed, but I do not agree with your subjective opinion that they are/were made any better through the addition of multiplayer. Forgot - never played Left 4 Dead.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
THIS!....is actually pretty good, I am A ok with this. You have my sword...or some other reference.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
To those who are getting up in arms about this:
I don't see the issue. Their adding an OPTIONAL extra to a game and suddenly that equals lowering the bar, obviously going by that logic DLC and such are bad. Also stop saying that the standards of those buying the game are lower, because their not. Saying stuff like that just makes you sound like a hipster, or Mass Effect fanbrat of sorts. Adding co-op to something doesn't always make it worse, now get over it.

Frankly I find the idea of a co-op on ME3 interesting, if only because it lets you play as some of aliens. I'd like to see if that changes the states in some way, or what classes you can play as.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
In two minds about this really.

On one hand I love a good Co op game. But for Mass Effect??? Cautiously optimistic is the phrase I would use too.