BioWare Finally Confirms and Details Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Finally Confirms and Details Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer

Mass Effect 3 really is getting multiplayer, but don't worry, it's entirely optional.

After lots of rumors and speculation - a lot of which turned out to be true - BioWare has confirmed that Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318332515&sr=8-2] will contain co-op multiplayer gameplay as well as the usual fighting of ancient robots and their minions in the single player campaign.

Writing on the BioWare forums [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8481789/1], community manager Chris Priestly said that Mass Effect 3's co-op mission would run parallel to the main story and allow up to four friends to fight together to liberate territory from the clutches of the enemy. Players will be able to create a co-op character from a variety of classes and races, including Turians, Asari, and Krogans.

These efforts will have a direct impact on the player's "Galactic Readiness" meter, which shows how well-prepared the Galaxy is to fend off the Reaper assault. Thus, success in the co-op mode will also provide players with an alternative way of getting a perfect ending in the single player game. BioWare is also rolling out the Mass Effect: Galaxy at War system, which Mass Effect 3's co-op is just one part of, along with other, as-yet-undisclosed, elements. Players will be able to impact their Galactic Readiness in a number of ways through Galaxy at War, with other "platforms and interfaces" to be announced in the coming months.

Priestly also made it clear that the development of the multiplayer had not had an adverse effect on the single player mode, as BioWare's new Montreal studio had been brought in to help ensure the game was as good as it should be. "Both studios work together as partners, lead by the core Mass Effect team, unified in a single vision," Priestly explained. "Under the direction of Casey Hudson and other team veterans, both studios make contributions to both the single player and multiplayer modes in Mass Effect 3."

"Rest assured that no compromises were made to either of these modes in the development of Mass Effect 3," he added.

Understandably, the reaction to the news has been rather mixed, with some loving the idea of the idea of Mass Effect multiplayer, others hating it, and plenty more falling somewhere in between. Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic; my main concern was that multiplayer would detract from the single player game, but it looks like BioWare was way ahead of me. With that concern out of the way, it's a lot easier to appreciate the multiplayer for what it is: an optional part of the game that sounds like it could be fun.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/mass-effect-3-s-galaxy-at-war-multiplayer-detailed/086258?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mcvuk%2Fstream+%28MCV%3A+Home+Stream%29]

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
What I want to know is that how story-oriented it is. I would love to see it having the conversation system for example. I don't really play Mass Effect for the combat, and a co-op mode isn't going to remedy that. I play it for the story and characters, and if the co-op doesn't involve those things rather prominently, I'm simply not interested.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Humm.... that actually sounds pretty cool. I feel the wind has been somewhat taken from my sails of cynicism. I like the idea of creating my own alien character too. Damn you Bioware! *shakes fist*

Dec 14, 2009
I was more worried about competitive multiplayer, which face it, Mass Effect ain't Gears of War or Uncharted.

Just look at the multiplayer in Dead Space 2 and Bioshock 2.

Co-op multiplayer though? I'm 100% ok with that.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
So... will I create a mighty Volus Vanguard or a stealthy Elcor Infiltrator?

Decisions, decisions.

I'll admit, I was worried about them screwing up, not to mention the torrent of hate and bile that would have followed.

But this? This I can get behind.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
No adverse effect? You just said it would effect the ending.
I just hope that not doing it won't effect my playthroughs in a negative way.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It's funny, considering I wrote this little bit earlier in the day;

"Outstanding co-op" - We couldn't get the A.I to work even at the most basic level, so we are forcing you to play with someone else.

Mass Effect is one of those strong story driven single player experiences. Putting in multiplayer is like forcing a 5th wheel on a car that runs fine with four.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Doom972 said:
No, it'll help you unfuck an otherwise shafted campaign I think is what they were saying.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Soooo... no Shepard Twincest?

Big Damn Shame. The idea of Shepard twins fighting off the Reapers together would make for something pretty awesome..... I think there is a fanfic of that though......

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
Zhukov said:
So... Krogan Vanguard or Elcor Infiltrator?

Decisions, decisions.
Asari commando. Problem solved

OT: good to know. maybe now people can stop getting mad over this evil abomination that is multiplayer.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Doom972 said:
Hit the link in the article.

They say like four times that the you can get all the campaign endings entirely through single player.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic; my main concern was that multiplayer would detract from the single player game, but it looks like BioWare was way ahead of me. With that concern out of the way, it's a lot easier to appreciate the multiplayer for what it is: an optional part of the game that sounds like it could be fun.
The multiplayer he described is less optional (not saying it's mandatory) than almost every other game I've seen considering it can actually tie in with your singleplayer. With that in mind, I have to ask, what did you expect ME3's multiplayer to entail? A forced co-op? A full fledged MMO? I'm seriously interested in what someone's mind could've concocted that would make them go "oh goodie, the multiplayer's optional" at this news. In fact, where does one come from with the idea that the multiplayer being added to a singleplayer game can be made mandatory? Amongst millions of games made over the years, I'm sure you have some example somewhere, but I sure as hell can't think of one.

Wuggy said:
What I want to know is that how story-oriented it is. I would love to see it having the conversation system for example. I don't really play Mass Effect for the combat, and a co-op mode isn't going to remedy that. I play it for the story and characters, and if the co-op doesn't involve those things rather prominently, I'm simply not interested.
I'm not counting on it tbh, but it's not like they wouldn't know how to - multiplayer dialogue has been developed for TOR, so using the code to implement it into ME3 probably wouldn't be too difficult. Bug again, personally, not counting on it, I imagine it's gonna be a "fight from A to B with a team" sort of thing. I also find it a little odd that they're going with 4 players considering the standard ME team consists of 3.

OT: Will comment on it when I see it, considering Wuggy above is right - combat is not really the main reason to play Mass Effect. It's fun and it really works for the series, but stripped of everything else but combat, ME co-op doesn't sound too exciting. Hoping also it'll involve some compelling narrative.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kelethor said:
OT: good to know. maybe now people can stop getting mad over this evil abomination that is multiplayer.
Are yo kidding? They got multiplayer in my primarily single-player game! Nothign can ever be the same again! I hate change!

;)

Normandyfoxtrot

Feb 17, 2011
As long as their not lying and you can get this silly readiness meter up offline, it all sounds gravy, hell the thing might even be fun.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Vrach said:
Wuggy said:
I'm not counting on it tbh, but it's not like they wouldn't know how to - multiplayer dialogue has been developed for TOR, so using the code to implement it into ME3 probably wouldn't be too difficult. Bug again, personally, not counting on it, I imagine it's gonna be a "fight from A to B with a team" sort of thing. I also find it a little odd that they're going with 4 players considering the standard ME team consists of 3.
Yeah, this was exactly what I was thinking. They've already proven the concept of a multiplayer (ME-style) conversation system can work, so implementing it here isn't and impossible thought. But yeah, I'm not counting on it either, sadly.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
This is EA we're talking about. They'll find a way to screw up everything, just like they did with Dragon Age 2 and ME2.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
After AC: Brotherhood's success at introducing multiplayer to an otherwise solely single-player franchise, I am much less worried about this. Add the fact that it will be co-operative only, and I'm really not too worried at all. In fact, I'm looking forward to it!

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
This is EA we're talking about. They'll find a way to screw up everything, just like they did with Dragon Age 2 and ME2.
Yeah, Mass Effect 2 was famously screwed-up. Oh wait, no. The other thing.