BioWare Kills Mass Effect 2 PS3 Rumor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Kills Mass Effect 2 PS3 Rumor

BioWare has shot down rumors that a PlayStation 3 version of Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278968926&sr=1-1] is on the way, saying that the PS3 code found in the PC version of the game is nothing more than a remnant of the cross-platform Unreal Engine.

Polish gaming site BioWare [http://www.kikoo.pl/news/3045-1/Mass-Effect-2-na-ps3]. It looked like this:

m_srSpendTalentPointsMessageXBox?=348754
m_srParagonRenegadeMessageXBox=3?48755
m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePC=3?48753
m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePC=348?755
m_srSpendTalentPointsMessagePS3=?348755
m_srParagonRenegadeMessagePS3=15?3007

Neither Mass Effect game has appeared on the PlayStation 3, but BioWare has consistently refused to deny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94194-BioWare-Refuses-to-Deny-PS3-Mass-Effect] that it won't someday bring the franchise to Sony's platform. Could this be the reason? Did Kikoo uncover BioWare's greatest secret: Mass Effect 2 on the PS3?

Well, no. In a short-and-sweet Unreal Engine [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/925844&lf=8] is cross platform, hence the PS3 code. This was brought up back in Mass Effect 1 days as well. Mass Effect is for the PC and Xbox 360."

Sorry, PS3 crew, but it looks like you're going to have to wait awhile longer.

via: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/ps3-code-found-buried-within-mass-effect-2-162338.phtml]

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I feel sorry for those with ps3 who don't get to play this awesome game... You really miss something : /

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
While he is probably telling the truth I wonder why the Unreal Engine would have Paragon/Renegade points built in? I mean, it's cross platform sure, but I've not seen those kinds of points in any other UE games.

Oh well, probably just a oversight in the code.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
addeB said:
I feel sorry for those with ps3 who don't get to play this awesome game... You really miss something : /
I have an Xbox, but the damn thing scratches discs constantly.* Since I'm going to be playing this for a good while, I don't wish to spend $60 on something that may get scarred.

Still, I hope it does eventually get a port. As I would love nothing more than to experience this, without getting a new Xbox or dropping a lot of money on my PC to be able to run it.
[sub]*My copy of COD 4, which I just bought, new, last year, refuses to run. I take great care of my games.[/sub]

CptPanda29

Apr 8, 2009
PS3 will probably get a Trilogy Boxset or something like that, but I'm just happy pressing the "Make Shepard do something outrageous" button...

SwampCandle

Nov 3, 2008
Hmmm, How very unbothered I am...I played Mass Effect 1 on my friends 360, and man was it just boring! (Well to me anyway)
So the news I can't get this isn't really upsetting, especially as I can still get God of War 3.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
I had no idea there was ever even a rumor about ME coming to ps3. Well maybe one day when bioware runs out of money *laughs heartily*.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
addeB said:
Owning a PS3 means you can't own a PC?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Suskie said:
Bring on the hordes of PS3 fans who pretend they aren't missing anything.
And I'll pretend that I'm not missing Ratchet & Clank.

I miss those guys...but I made my choice...

OT: Anyone who took those rumors seriously wasn't thinking straight.

SwampCandle

Nov 3, 2008
Suskie said:
Perhaps, some of us will be upset that we can't get it, but then again, some of us will genuinely just not want the game. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of RPG's, so I'm all cool with not getting it.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Suskie said:
I don't think I've ever seen a PS3 fanboy say that Mass Effect is considered to be "nothing."

If anything, it's usually an Xbox fanboy trying to rub the PS3 owner's nose in it.
jimduckie said:
wohoo , ps3 left out maybe sony will take a hint
Huh?

What will Sony do about Bioware not programming a game for the PS3?

Giantcain

Oct 29, 2009
well if you think logiccall they cant realeaseme2 to ps3 but not me1 so who ever startedv the rumer of me2 being brought to [ps3 diddnt think itthrough cause you would miss some parts of the game and you woundnt get the referances to the first one

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Hazy said:
If anything, it's usually an Xbox fanboy trying to rub the PS3 owner's nose in it.
Don't worry, I'm not taking sides here. I found it equally amusing a few months ago when Xbox 360 fans shrugged off Uncharted 2. Sour grapes syndrome.

Captain Picard

Jan 21, 2009
I'm not sure what people expected. There's only so much a developer can be bothered to do for a console with a puny 256MB of system memory. Making a game like ME1 or 2 run with a hardware limitation like that and having it still look like it's supposed to is a task not worth bothering with.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Suskie said:
Hazy said:
Don't worry, I'm not taking sides here. I found it equally amusing a few months ago when Xbox 360 fans shrugged off Uncharted 2. Sour grapes syndrome.
Nah, I wasn't assuming you were. :D

Dec 14, 2009
Giantcain said:
well if you think logiccall they cant realeaseme2 to ps3 but not me1 so who ever startedv the rumer of me2 being brought to [ps3 diddnt think itthrough cause you would miss some parts of the game and you woundnt get the referances to the first one
What? Seriously, I can't understand what you've written.

OT: Meh, PS3 gets other exclusives.