BioWare Letting Fans Choose Mass Effect 3's FemShep

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Letting Fans Choose Mass Effect 3's FemShep

Now that it knows people really like FemShep, BioWare wants to give people a FemShep they really like.

When BioWare said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111077-BioWare-Adding-Female-Shepard-to-Mass-Effect-3-Marketing] that it didn't know what it wanted FemShep to look like in Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FYEZMQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d2_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1S4T1SZ30NF6DXGA0XGQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846], it really wasn't kidding. It's apparently not going to make a choice either, not when it can get fans to do it. The developer has put together several different versions of the character and is now asking fans which one they like the best.

[gallery=396]

The six choices have the same body, so all BioWare is asking people to choose is a face. The differences between some of them are rather subtle - just changes in hair and eye color - while others are much more obviously different. Not every choice is Caucasian either, which fits in rather nicely with BioWare's efforts to make the Mass Effect games more inclusive. People can vote for their favorite by heading over to the Mass Effect Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244340101645.322035.85811091644&type=1] page and clicking "like" on the image of their choice. While BioWare only mentions the game itself, presumably this choice will also affect which FemShep ends up on Mass Effect 3 collector's edition box.

At time of writing, option 5 - the blonde FemShep - is way out in front, with more than twice the votes of its nearest competitor. After two games with the default FemShep being a redhead, I must admit that I'm a little sad that FemShep 2 isn't doing better, but they're all good choices. BioWare doesn't say when the "vote" will end, but you can assume that any votes cast in March probably won't count.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312919/mass-effect-3-vote-for-your-favourite-female-shepard/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Wilcroft

Oct 31, 2008
So the default FemShep isn't even an option? Ok Then.
Edit:
SL33TBL1ND said:
A cross between 5 and 2, I think.
This. My vote would be for 5, only because 2 needs for hair....

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I don't understand why they didn't have a red headed number 5, that is probably why people chose 5, not the hair colour but the hair style. Why Bioware?

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
None of them look like my own femshep. :(

Anyways to me 5 looks more like miss universe ans not miss saving the universe.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
I like 2 as my femshep is red. But I have to say for me in that line up it's either 5 or 6.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Nice work BioWare. You've effectively reduced this to the lowest common denominator.
Shep is on display, and *you* get to choose which one is the purdiest! Because as we all know, nothing respects the integrity of a character as much as a quantified estimation of her physical attractiveness.

#1, by the way. Easily.

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
I love how the previews (in the OP) doesn't show the heads, making all seem identical until you click on one.

OT: I voted for the blonde one. Because my FemShep is blonde.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I'm thoroughly disappointed. I always liked the original FemShep look in the first two games, but apparently I'm the only one. Well, I'll be keeping that look either way, thank you very much.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Voted #3.

For me she has the same vibe as the male shep. So that'd make a decent default I guess.

Dec 14, 2009
There's been a couple of threads on this, so I'll paste what I put in those.

Well, I like number one.

Stern, clean cut, professional.

Number 5 looks like a blonde goth, wannabe.

Shepard is still a soldier at the end of the day and anyone who knows anything about combat can tell you that having long hair flailing around in your face isn't a clever decision.

Tru dat y'all.