BioWare Letting Fans Choose Mass Effect 3's FemShep

Sep 24, 2008
4, because a bad ass south asian woman with a gun and an omni-blade is a fetish I didn't know I was missing out on.

Although, it's surprising that people are just questioning what's wrong with default femshep without realizing what this seems like;

It seems like to me that the ME designers just made a ramshackle model that they thought no one would care about. I don't see them asking about Maleshep, so they pretty much feel like they nailed the average white solder motiff. Now realizing that people actually care about femshep, they suddenly decide they need to step up their game? Pitiful.

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
5 is Alice, 6 is Salt, 2 is Janeway; any of the others noticeably similar to existing female badasses? Voted for 4 if anyone still cares.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
EA Marketing, please, just stop it. Your constant efforts to hype the game I'm already getting are quickly becoming nauseating.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I'd vote for the first one, but seriously. How disappointing, BioWare. Are we going to be able to vote for MaleShep, too?

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
My choice is for #4

Choices 1 - 3 look like female versions of Marcus Phoenix. I know the majority vote is #5 but she looks like Fem Phoenix with better hair. The only two ethnic options look the best to me and while #4 is my favorite, I actually think they should go with #6 because her appearance is more distinguished.

However, this is all just a marketing gimmick and really, they should just leave well enough alone and keep the default red head. All this hoopla from EA's marketing division is actually making me a bit nervous. If they're willing to change the appearance of Femshep, what else might they change?

"I'm sorry Ms. Hale, but you don't fit with the new image of the female Shepard. We have decided to replace you with Kim Kardashian."

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
I don't like any of them, but that could be that I always thought that femshep looked strange. I refer to the default picture shown on page 2 and the once I have seen other people create.

I really don't like how BioWare has been doing the stupid back peddling when dealing with "fan" tirades and whims. BioWare needs to stick to its guns, it already established that male Shepard is canon. There really was no need for them to go into great detail on this matter. If they wanted to show in some small way in commercials for ME3 that the player could play as a female, fine, just pick a random build or obviously a default.

The reason this gets to me is that if they will go all out in pleasing a small section of fans with something like this, I afraid to see how they have reacted to the unwanted groups of people that seriously misjudged Dragon Age 2.

The only thing that was wrong with DA2 was that it only had 6 or so large "dungeons" and players had to periodically go back to them. So if they change back anything that they changed for the better (Which was everything), then I will lose faith in them to make decisions on their game based on what they think is right. They are the creators; they should create what they think is best, not what the player thinks is best.

So what if BioWare decided that they wanted to tell a single more coherent story about a single character and his(the male is canon in this as well) hardships, giving it a more central and personal touch on one man's journey in the dark times of the blight and after.

I doubt they do it, but if they take out the dialogue wheel when they make DA3, I doubt I will play it. I liked non-voiced main character games like KotOR as much as the next guy, but the dialogue choices were much clearer and easier to choose from in KotOR than they were in Dragon Age: Origins. When I chose an answer in KotOR, I knew what the other characters reaction was going to be about 85% of the time. In DA:Origins, what I expected might happen when I chose one of the dialog options, happened about 20% of the time. The dialogue wheel in DA2 brought back that 85% certainty. Plus the wonderful bonus of having a fully voice character, instead of one that has a voice in combat but is strangely a telepathic mute when he had to be in a conversation. I've been gaming since the age of the NES, and I guess I have evolved as gaming technology as evolved. And if the RPGs can have a fully voiced main character that can actually feel real during a conversation, then I will choose that every time, even if it means losing a couple extra dialogue options(which didn't happen in DA2, even though people claim it did).

So, BioWare, do what you think is right and what you really want to do, not what the "fans" want.

joonsk

Feb 26, 2011
I'd choose 6, she's HAWT. and notas generic as the other ones. I really hate the background though.

pepitko

Sep 23, 2009
Either 5 or 1, can't really decide. I've rarely chosen a scared-warhero-negative-character for one my avatars.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Fanboy said:
I wish Bioware would stop letting their twitbook fans decide story and aesthetic details for them. They are the game designers, their fans are not.
This.

It is much shorter than my response a little ways above. But yeah, they are the designers. The only reason this is happening now is because how it has become all about the money. They fear that if their "fans" don't like what they choose, they won't make as much money.

As I said above, I fear this spinelessness when facing "fans", will seriously effect Dragon Age 3, and not for the better. They fixed everything that was wrong with combat, menus/inventory, stats along with ability/power learning trees, and dialogue. If BioWare changes some of those things back to the way they were like in DA:Origins, I don't think I will be able to play the game.

The only "serious" complaint that they should work on is the dungeons thing. There is one minor thing that I guess they could change back, and that is customizing the armor of the companions, because it doesn't seriously effect the game, but the other fixes I listed, would mess up a great thing.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
The only time I judge women on their beauty is when I jerk off. I jerk off constantly, but that doesn't mean I need that stuff in a game. (I have been waiting a long time to admit I jerk off constantly on these forums)

Jas0913

Jan 16, 2010
i'm not a fan of any of these. The bodies and facial expressions in these photos are a bit to masculine to be taken seriously. I believe that Bioware should go with the same physique they used on the main female characters of dragon age, such as Morigan... just much less revealing.

Morigan body says a lot about her character, she is skinny and her breasts aren't so large which goes against today's trend of creating a skinny female character with large breasts. The females depicted in these photos look like Die Hard's Bruce Willis with hair.

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
Uhm, they don't even look all that different. Only the hair and the skin tone differs. I don't think physical appearence matters that much as far as characters are concerned. Well, not to me anyway. i prefer the other kind of characterization.