BioWare Lifts the Lid on Dragon Age 2 DRM

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Lifts the Lid on Dragon Age 2 DRM

Dragon Age 2' DRM system is nowhere near "draconian," but you will need an internet connection for at least some of the time.

If you're planning to buy Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Pc/dp/B0047THYWC/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296567057&sr=1-2] for the PC, you've got two different versions you can choose from: the version with the simple DRM, or the version with the slightly confusing, but not especially troublesome DRM.

BioWare's community manager Chris Priestly outlined the two versions of Dragon Age 2's DRM on the official forums [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/5887403&lf=8]. If you're buying the game through Steam, then you've got nothing else to worry about, as BioWare is letting Valve's systems handle everything. Downloads from other providers, however, as well as the retail versions, have a slightly more involved security system.

Players will be able to install the game on as many computers as they like, but no more than five machines can be used to play the game in a 24-hour period. The only part that might prove to be problematic for people is that every installation will require an online verification, and the game will periodically perform a login check.

BioWare said that it hadn't decided how frequent those checks would be, but assured people that it will run on even the slowest connections, and that players will not be required to be online all the time. BioWare's Fernando Melo also said that there were sunset plans for the online authentication, so there would never be a case where you couldn't play a legitimate copy of the game.

As DRM goes, this is probably one of the most forgiving and light systems around. Obviously, it's not ideal - no DRM system ever is - but BioWare does seem to have gone to some effort to ensure that it's as unobtrusive as possible.

Dragon Age 2 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 8th in North America, and on March 11th in Europe.

Source: via Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/01/dragon-age-2-drm-unusua/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+RockPaperShotgun+(Rock,+Paper,+Shotgun)]

Quelthazar

Jan 26, 2009
Yet another blow against piracy... now... only time will tell how they'll react.

the.writer

Jan 18, 2011
With the announcement of this DRM setup one can acknowledge that it is just assumed at this point in time that everyone who will buy this game has access to the internet. What do you think of that?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Sounds like the retail version and non-Steam digital versions use the same kind of system as Steam. I have never had a problem with Steam games, you can even play them offline for a set amount of time before requiring you to sign in again to verify. This is security that makes sense and won't ruin the game for anyone. Though, if you don't have an internet connections it's complete bollocks. I am not a big fan of required internet connection to play a single player game. I raged against this for like 2 years when Half Life 2 came out.

On the other hand, this is nothing to software pirates, but it's best to just forget about those folks. They aren't lost sales anyway, just people who didn't pay to play the game. In the end, even the most draconian security measures doesn't stop them.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I want my connectivity with the BioWare Social Network, just like in the first game, so the occasional online verification doesn't bother me.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Christ. Way to go, damaging your customers who actually pay for the game.

Eventually it will dawn on them that people who pirate games will usually not KEEP the DRM in the game anyway, so there's not even a point to it...

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Five computers in 24 hours? Who the hell installs on five systems?

I don't think my original iTunes agreement from way back in the day let me use 5 systems. That's some generosity right there.

In any case, this is way better than online all the time.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
And a version with the DRM completely removed will appear on torrent sites within weeks, thus rendering the DRM completely pointless and providing pirates with an unarguably superior product. I love how we've gotten to the point where a limit of 5 installs and periodic online verification is considered "generous". And by love, I mean hate. Oh, how "generous" of Bioware to allow me to play the game I legally purchased! That's so considerate of them, you know?

Nov 5, 2007
To anyone bitching about not having the internet: " Downloads from other providers..."

If you download the game, it's pretty much assumed you can have an internet connection from time to time right.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
If you're buying the game through Steam, then you've got nothing else to worry about, as BioWare is letting Valve's systems handle everything.
Well I guess I have nothing to worry about. I'm no fan of any DRM, but I'm usually satisfied if it's no more inconvenient than all the other games I own on Steam.

WarKirby

Nov 21, 2009
Dorkmaster Flek said:
And a version with the DRM completely removed will appear on torrent sites within weeks, thus rendering the DRM completely pointless and providing pirates with an unarguably superior product. I love how we've gotten to the point where a limit of 5 installs and periodic online verification is considered "generous". And by love, I mean hate. Oh, how "generous" of Bioware to allow me to play the game I legally purchased! That's so considerate of them, you know?
Pretty much this
Needing an internet connection to play a single player rpg, is just silly.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
What, is the standard response to any article that says "This game has this DRM" that it "hurts players, feeds pirates, not gonna buy"? Haters gonna hate. This DRM system looks like the most sensible choice for an AAA developer and publisher, from what I've seen so far. And yes, it will still be pirated, so what?

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Since I'm getting it on Steam, I guess I'm in the clear. And about this DRM: considering Spore, this is generous by EA's standards. Although, it would have been funny if it WAS "draconian", as they put it.

"What were you expecting? It's right in the name of the game!"

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Lord Ammolds said:
Yet another blow against legitimate customers that'll be worked around in a matter of hours by pirates... now... only time will tell how they'll react.
i think that's what you meant to say

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Nutcase said:
EA isn't going to get a cent from me.
Nope, because putting up measures to protect their property means they are the evulz. I love it how people blame the companies for putting up the DRM and very little blame goes to the pirates, who, if it hadn't been for them we wouldn't be in this predicament.

I guess its easier to blame the big "evilz" company with a face rather than blaming the thieves. Because you know, they are the virtual Robin Hoods that steal from the rich and give to the poor meaning that game companies have to increase security which harms the paying customer.

Christ these pirates are ruining the gaming, music and movie industries and people are cheering them on as they are doing it.