BioWare Looking at Ways to Bring Jade Empire Back

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Looking at Ways to Bring Jade Empire Back

Before there were Geth and Darkspawn, there were Jade Empire's Lotus Assassins, and BioWare's co-founders hope there will be again.

BioWare founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka say that the Jade Empire [http://www.amazon.com/Jade-Empire-Xbox/dp/B0006ZJPSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317035017&sr=8-1] franchise isn't out for the count, and that while the studio isn't working on anything Jade Empire-related at the moment, they'd both like to see new games set in the world.

Released in 2005, Jade Empire was a rather large departure from BioWare's usual faire, not to mention Western RPGS in general. The game took Chinese wuxia stories and elements from Asian myths and legends, and blended them together into a then Xbox-exclusive action RPG. The game was later ported to PC in 2007 and to the Mac in 2008.

Unlike other BioWare franchises, such as Dragon Age or Mass Effect, Jade Empire has never received a sequel. However, that doesn't mean that BioWare has forgotten about it, and Muzkya and Zeschuk said that they'd been thinking about how to bring it back. "We're just looking for the right way to deploy it," Muzkya explained. "We have a lot of different projects now on a lot of different platforms, and you might see some [Jade Empire] in the future. You never know."

"It is a franchise that's near and dear to us," he added.

Even though, realistically, the next time we see Jade Empire will probably be as part of a Facebook game or something similar, I've still got my fingers crossed for a full sequel. BioWare has gained a lot more experience with action-based gameplay since 2005, and another Jade Empire game would add some spice to the RPG landscape. Who knows? If this hypothetical RPG sells well, it might even inspire other developer to branch out a little too.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-24-bioware-drs-on-jade-empire-comeback]

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
YES Finally I've been waiting for more Jade Empire since I first finished the original back in 05.
I'm just glad to know they haven't forgotten about it (^_^)

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
That would be soooo awesome... Just, please, please PLEEEEEASE, BioWare... Don't bring it back as a Facebook game. =(

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Eleima said:
That would be soooo awesome... Just, please, please PLEEEEEASE, BioWare... Don't bring it back as a Facebook game. =(
Your avatar makes me yearn for a different sequel...

puppetz616

Mar 3, 2010
Jade Empire was the first real RPG I sat down and played through more than once, did all sidequests I could find, and didn't use a strategy guide at all. It pretty much made me the gamer I am today. And gave me great respect and loyal support to Bioware. I can only hope they'll treat it the way it deserves.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Jade Empire has been available cheap for a long time on Steam. Same for KotOR. With luck, if a sequel gets made for JE, they'll bring that to Steam as well.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
The Mass effect trilogy is almost over so... I really hope for a real Jade Empire sequel with a single player game unlike that other game that we'll never see...
The Mass Effect Shepard trilogy is almost over, yes, but the franchise isn't. BioWare have repeatedly stated that it will continue post-Mass Effect 3. With five or so studios (Montreal, Edmonton, Austin, Mythic and EA2D), there's a good chance it could be developed alongside the next Mass Effect and Dragon Age releases, but it depends on what EA want them to do. Jade Empire wasn't much of a commercial success (Although it certainly didn't bomb), so EA may be reluctant to finance the next game, at least until BioWare have got a few more titles done.

And to throw KotOR at them is really, really ridiculous. BioWare do not, and never have, had any control over that franchise. They were hired to develop KotOR, the sequel - at BioWare's request - was passed onto Obsidian, and TOR is being developed by a new, satellite BioWare studio called BioWare Austin, and whilst they may share a few staff and writers with the original KotOR team, they are not the studio who created KotOR.

If you want KotOR3, go and harp on at LucasArts. It is not something BioWare can control.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Zhong not mean to kill franchise.

I loved Jade Empire. I just hope they make this a sequel worth waiting for.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
This would be nice. I liked the concept and the atmosphere of the original, but the gameplay and roleplaying didn't hold up (this was a few years after its original release). The prospect of a Jade Empire game with better combat and Mass Effect or better still Dragon Age style dialogue wheels and moral choice would melt my pants.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Weeeee!

It's one of Bioware's lesser known titles, but I'm very happy about the news. 'Jade Empire' also happens to be one of the very few things in media where I didn't see the twist coming.

And even though I'm not that fixed on graphics, I start drooling just thinking about how gorgeous the world would look on the PS3/Xbox.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Eleima said:
Your avatar makes me yearn for a different sequel...
Agreed, but KotOR 2 was out of BioWare's hands, so I don't realistically see BioWare handling a KotOR3... One can hope... And until then, I'll be dreaming of this [http://eji.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dduton].

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Making some well deserved Jade Empire sequels - HELL YES!
Making some Jade Empire sequels on Bookface - FUCK NO!

While we're on the topic of franchises that need some continuation, what ever happened to KotOR? That MMO thing likely ain't gonna cut it in terms of concluding Revan's story...

onikage567

Sep 17, 2008
This is great news. I still believe that Jade Empire is the best game ever made by Bioware. It has the dialogue trees just like mass effect or kotor but it has far better combat which really set the game apart for me.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Making some well deserved Jade Empire sequels - HELL YES!
Making some Jade Empire sequels on Bookface - FUCK NO!

While we're on the topic of franchises that need some continuation, what ever happened to KotOR? That MMO thing likely ain't gonna cut it in terms of concluding Revan's story...
Look for a novel called Revan, if I remember correctly it's written by the guy who wrote the story (or at least some of it) for KotOR. I got it pre-ordered from Amazon its due out in November sometime I think. It's supposed to conclude Revan's story

Here's A link from the escapist itself:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109506-New-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Novel-Finally-Finishes-Revans-Story

Edit: Amazon says it's due on November 15th

OT: I would love to see a sequel for this game, I thought that they would've jumped on this years ago. But I can't exactly complain if they decide to make it now. I've waited this long for it, I can wait until they decide to make a sequel of some sorts.