BioWare Looking at Ways to Bring Jade Empire Back

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
coldalarm said:
Random Argument Man said:
The Mass effect trilogy is almost over so... I really hope for a real Jade Empire sequel with a single player game unlike that other game that we'll never see...
The Mass Effect Shepard trilogy is almost over, yes, but the franchise isn't. BioWare have repeatedly stated that it will continue post-Mass Effect 3. With five or so studios (Montreal, Edmonton, Austin, Mythic and EA2D), there's a good chance it could be developed alongside the next Mass Effect and Dragon Age releases, but it depends on what EA want them to do. Jade Empire wasn't much of a commercial success (Although it certainly didn't bomb), so EA may be reluctant to finance the next game, at least until BioWare have got a few more titles done.

And to throw KotOR at them is really, really ridiculous. BioWare do not, and never have, had any control over that franchise. They were hired to develop KotOR, the sequel - at BioWare's request - was passed onto Obsidian, and TOR is being developed by a new, satellite BioWare studio called BioWare Austin, and whilst they may share a few staff and writers with the original KotOR team, they are not the studio who created KotOR.

If you want KotOR3, go and harp on at LucasArts. It is not something BioWare can control.
To give my original statement a chance, I'll explain a few things. I think that, since Bioware's publisher is now EA instead of Microsoft studios, a commercial push from a video game publishing company will be more beneficial. Since the Mass Effect Shepard trilogy will be over, Bioware will probably have a little more breathing room to expand on a few things.

As for KOTOR, I didn't stated "It's Bioware's fault". Like most fans of the KOTOR games, we wanted a sense of closure on Revan's story in a video game format. For me at least, having a book tell me Revan's story is not true to the experience. I wanted to be able to control the story of Revan to make it an experience that I could call my own. However, this will never happen because LucasArts decided that they're not doing it.

If I had to point out something about Old Republic, it's the fact that Bioware wanted to make a MMMORPG and wanted the right IP with the right partners. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic#Development

They had a chance and they took it. However, if I could do one "finger-pointing argument" about Bioware and Old Republic, it's the fact that they told us last year "that SWTOR will be KOTOR 3,4,5, etc." Thus, it confirms zero chances of having a KOTOR 3.

Note* Although, finding the video that said this statement will be a pain in the ass to look for. You can take my last statement with a pinch of salt.

2nd note* I do, however, will say that my original statement was a bit harsh.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Issurru said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Making some well deserved Jade Empire sequels - HELL YES!
Making some Jade Empire sequels on Bookface - FUCK NO!

While we're on the topic of franchises that need some continuation, what ever happened to KotOR? That MMO thing likely ain't gonna cut it in terms of concluding Revan's story...
Look for a novel called Revan, if I remember correctly it's written by the guy who wrote the story (or at least some of it) for KotOR. I got it pre-ordered from Amazon its due out in November sometime I think. It's supposed to conclude Revan's story

Here's A link from the escapist itself:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109506-New-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Novel-Finally-Finishes-Revans-Story

Edit: Amazon says it's due on November 15th
While a great idea, it's sadly not the same. It was *my* Revan, and consequently *my* choices. No book could allow the conclusion of the story of *my* Revan, as it would leave far too many loose ends. This is why games with branching paths are superior to books; customization makes the story inherently more personal.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
I'd rather Bioware created a new IP rather than make anything Jade Empire related. Of all the bioware games I've played it felt Jade Empire fell kinda flat compared to the others. Not saying it was bad, but I'd rather Bioware put their efforts into something else.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
After the last few bioware outings i fully expect any Sequel to Jade Empire to be a Action Brawler with 'RPG Elements'

I've pretty much lost faith in Bioware since EA bought them out. Look at ME2, DA2 and the upcoming ME3, if you loved Jade Empire prepare to be shafted...

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
I loved that game I really hope that's the case because I really loved Jade Empire's story and the game was a lot of fun.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Actually, I don't want another Jade Empire if it gets the same treatment as their other franchises got in their last installments

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
To give my original statement a chance, I'll explain a few things. I think that, since Bioware's publisher is now EA instead of Microsoft studios, a commercial push from a video game publishing company will be more beneficial. Since the Mass Effect Shepard trilogy will be over, Bioware will probably have a little more breathing room to expand on a few things.
Microsoft have nothing to do with this. They published Jade Empire on XBox, they published Mass Effect on 360. The PC versions were published by 2K and EA respectively. EA could certainly advertise the game better, but it's not like Microsoft are an unknown publisher. Halo, Gears of War... Those franchises alone outsell anything BioWare has done, perhaps even collectively. BioWare have all the breathing room they need with the franchise, and a lot of the expansion of the series has happened in things like Mass Effect: Galaxy, the comics and the novels.

As for KOTOR, I didn't stated "It's Bioware's fault". Like most fans of the KOTOR games, we wanted a sense of closure on Revan's story in a video game format. For me at least, having a book tell me Revan's story is not true to the experience. I wanted to be able to control the story of Revan to make it an experience that I could call my own. However, this will never happen because LucasArts decided that they're not doing it.

If I had to point out something about Old Republic, it's the fact that Bioware wanted to make a MMMORPG and wanted the right IP with the right partners. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Old_Republic#Development

They had a chance and they took it. However, if I could do one "finger-pointing argument" about Bioware and Old Republic, it's the fact that they told us last year "that SWTOR will be KOTOR 3,4,5, etc." Thus, it confirms zero chances of having a KOTOR 3.
But also because Revan is canonically male. LucasArts needed a canon Revan, and they chose the male version (I believe KotOR2's character is canonically female). MMOs are where the big bucks are now, and with Galaxy running out of steam (And now time), they wanted something to replace it. If what you said is correct, then BioWare and LucasArts once again joined forces to create the eventual replacement for Galaxy, and they came to TOR at some point. The right company with the right IP can make a lot of money from an MMO, and BioWare - with experienced Star Wars people on staff - are a good choice for that. Galaxy must have done well to still be running after all those years, so just think how much money a bigger budget, updated, new MMO could bring in.

As for it being a no to KotOR3, I think that's complete rubbish (I'm not accusing you of that, by the way). Simply put, TOR takes place before KotOR could ever have happened. They might be talking about the amount of content available in game, but it clearly cannot be KotOR3 onwards as it does not continue the story.

KotOR3 may still happen one day, but let's put it like this. LucasArts are there to make money. They are going to go where the money is, not where their fans want them to go.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I nearly just jumped out of my chair!! I love this idea I loved the first game and I'll be all over this game if it's released!

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
:O! Thank God Bioware actually remembers that that epic ass game actually existed!

I loved stomping around as a Jade Golem smashing that ass of an Emperor and lawling because I was immune to his protections.

Course, the fact that you could kick small puppies for Health Orbs was a big plus too. That and summoning a giant fire breathing snake as the Closed Fist.

Wonder how many people sacrificed Deaths' Hand. I kept him with me.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I bet the Mass Effect team wouldn't mind something new to work on after 3 games - plus whether or not they're going to keep the ME universe going after ME3 - I think they need to give the franchise a little break.

I want to see what else they're going to with ME, but I don't want them to go all Assassin's Creed on it.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I would so so sooo love to see a sequel to this game! It was the first Bioware game I ever played, and the only one I've actually liked. And I really loved it! So much that I bought the LCE... twice!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Bioware: Alright, lets start looking at making this game!
Dev: Ok, so what are some ideas you had?
Bioware: Well, we need a dialog wheel and the chance to for everyone to have sex with everyone, especially if they are the same sex. And don't forget the faux good/evil paradox.
Dev: But, you just described all of your games that came out in the last couple of years!!!!
Bioware: And....? People will buy them. They liked the first one, they'll love the changes we are gonna make to this.... Oh, and get rid of all the Chinese stuff, lets give them some cool modern western names... and no swords.... just biotics... yeah, some biotics will put this game over the top.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
It would certainly be interesting to get a new Jade Empire.

I personally didn't like the original that much. Probably because I had just finished Mass Effect, which became one of my favorite games ever, and JE just seemed quite unpolished to me.

I did like the combat system though - it was much more interesting and diverse than KotOR's, where my strategy was always this: 1) Make a two-bladed-lightsaber 2) Add the best crystals you have to it 3) Spam Power Attack, using force powers when necessary.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Would like to see it, minus the cheesy script/voice acting and the awful controls (at least on PC). Eastern culture is a huge and relatively untapped field though, there's plenty of ways to make an awesome RPG out of it :)

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
One one hand, I think Jade Empire was one of their boldest projects and one of their best stories. On the other, I have lukewarm feelings towards the setting itself.

I guess I'll just wait and see if this goes anywhere.