BioWare Making Free-to-Play Ultima RPG

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
burningdragoon said:
Is this BioWare BioWare making this or just another random studio that EA slapped the BioWare name onto (like for the C&C game)?

Not that it really matters, I'm just curious.
I'm pretty sure it's the latter. In particular it's Bioware Mythic who made the Warhammer MMO. Also some more info on it. Apparently it's a MMO remake of Ultima IV.
http://kotaku.com/5925250/ultima-is-going-free+to+play-heres-how-it-just-might-work
Judging from all the comments on every article I see on this I do not see this being a success.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If they do a good job with this, then surely I'l...

Oh, who am I kidding? This is gonna suck.

P.S. Thanks

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
An open letter to EA;

Please stop murdering game franchises. Everyone knows the last good Ultima Game (barring Ultima Online, that was it's own thing) was Ultima VII: The Serpents Gate and it would have been even better if you hadn't rushed Origin when they were making it. You need to just stop, stop making games, sell all your IPs and call it a day. You are the next THQ.

Without love;
robert01

PS: Fuck you.

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
burningdragoon said:
Is this BioWare BioWare making this or just another random studio that EA slapped the BioWare name onto (like for the C&C game)?

Which one would be worst? Some random studio may bring in new talent.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Wow, it's impressive that all I know of Ultima is from Spoony's reviews, and yet I can instantly spot a ton of things wrong with this.
Agreed, Spoony's reviews have gotten me really interested the the Ultima series to the point where I've been looking to pick up the Ultima collection (if I could find a new copy for under $499.50)

When they say Cross platform do they mean its getting a console release? or just a PC and Mac one?

Also when the fuck is Bioware gonna stop dicking around and make Jade Empire 2?

Or maybe its a good thing they aren't making a JE2, being that the first Jade Empire was the LAST good game Bioware ever made. Yeah I said it FUCK Dragon Age and Mass Effect

Edit: Also

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Not only did EA kill Ultima, they dig up its grave a decade later and let Bioware masturbate it's dialog wheels and romance options all over its decaying corpse. I've never even played Ultima and even I feel like I just got kicked in the sack.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
CriticKitten said:
Wow, it's impressive that all I know of Ultima is from Spoony's reviews, and yet I can instantly spot a ton of things wrong with this.
Agreed, Spoony's reviews have gotten me really interested the the Ultima series to the point where I've been looking to pick up the Ultima collection (if I could find a new copy for under $499.50)

When they say Cross platform do they mean its getting a console release? or just a PC and Mac one?
The whole series is on GoG if you really want it. I just checked and I'm pretty sure IV is even free.

OT: two classes? That already gives you an idea of how lazy this is going to be. I'm also guessing this game will lack rogue-y stuff. Locked chests, disarmable traps, etc. I have never played Ultima and i feel insulted.

It would be awesome if someone bought the IP from EA and just started remaking the games with modern 2d graphics. A guy can dream.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Ziggy said:
burningdragoon said:

Which one would be worst? Some random studio may bring in new talent.
As far as quality goes? I dunno. I would assume EA slapping the BioWare sticker on some other studio they own is at least in part because they don't think that studio could draw enough dollars in without it. But I think actual BioWare has already damaged it's name (wrong or not), so that probably doesn't matter much.

The real reason I'm curious though is for all the people that see EA/BioWare and immediately scoff just because of ME3 and DA2, when it's possible that this "BioWare" probably isn't even the same BioWare.

Nnot that I think scoffing at EA making more Ultima is bad, just people being stupid about it.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Burst6 said:
ANImaniac89 said:
CriticKitten said:

The whole series is on GoG if you really want it. I just checked and I'm pretty sure IV is even free.

OT: two classes? That already gives you an idea of how lazy this is going to be. I'm also guessing this game will lack rogue-y stuff. Locked chests, disarmable traps, etc. I have never played Ultima and i feel insulted.

It would be awesome if someone bought the IP from EA and just started remaking the games with modern 2d graphics. A guy can dream.

Cool thank you I hadn't even thought to check there.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I really cannot get my hopes up for this.
Ultima without Garriot just doesn't seem right.
The free to play thing does reward EA some points, so I'll give it a spin before I get my fanboy knickers in a twist.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, at least bioware can put to use some of the skills they learned when making the Old Republic (and some of the empty servers and free bandwidth from lost subscribers).

Too bad they didn't do this first before making the Star Wars MMO: might have proved a better learning experience.

At least it is free to play.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"Accept the challenge from Lady British and save the land of Britannia."
I can see it now, she comes up to make a proclamation and someone in the crowd hollers "YER MOTHER WAS A CHAMBERMAID!"

(In Ultima 7: The Black Gate Lord British had, uh, sired an heir with a chambermaid.)

Grey Carter said:
Play as the Fighter or the Mage and travel alone or with friends, restore virtue and become the Avatar!" shouts the game's announcement page.
Sorry, my heart will always belong to Avatar [http://lparchive.org/Ultima-4-5-and-6/].

Sherry the mouse: She made me have sex with some lady!
Steve: That was a birthday present! Mice have birthdays, right?

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Quick someone tell Spoony, this might be the thing that pulls him back from the edge!

Everyones going F2P now arnt they, I swear I always end up paying more on these kinda games.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
Grey Carter said:
"Accept the challenge from Lady British and save the land of Britannia."
I can see it now, she comes up to make a proclamation and someone in the crowd hollers "YER MOTHER WAS A CHAMBERMAID!"

(In Ultima 7: The Black Gate Lord British had, uh, sired an heir with a chambermaid.)
Fuck, you may have hit the nail on the head. Lord British was getting pretty old by the end of UltimaIX, they'll probably have him dead and Lady British (shudder) his daughter and heir. Fuuuu Goddamn you EA, you're crapping on my childhood. I swear if I ever meet Trip Hawkins I'll punch him in the stomach.