BioWare Making Free-to-Play Ultima RPG

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
Also, I hate to play the Devil's advocate, but incase some folks have forgot, everybody's favorite Ultimas (VII The Black Gate & The Serpent Isle) both had romances in them. They were pretty minor but they were there. I can't remember if Pagan did or not, and I've never managed to force myself to play all the way through Ascension. Not that I'm in any way, shape, or form supportitve of this likely craptacular MMO, just you know, point to note.

Sorryflip

Jul 9, 2012
CD-R said:
Well after the fiasco that was Ultima 8 and 9 I don't think there's any way EA could possibly fuck it up more.
NEVER underestimate EA's ability to fuck something up.

Ziggy said:
burningdragoon said:
Is this BioWare BioWare making this or just another random studio that EA slapped the BioWare name onto (like for the C&C game)?

Not that it really matters, I'm just curious.
Which one would be worst? Some random studio may bring in new talent.
Remember that they're still working for EA, which destroys talent.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
McShizzle said:
Fuck, you may have hit the nail on the head. Lord British was getting pretty old by the end of UltimaIX, they'll probably have him dead and Lady British (shudder) his daughter and heir. Fuuuu Goddamn you EA, you're crapping on my childhood. I swear if I ever meet Trip Hawkins I'll punch him in the stomach.
Another possibility is just that Lord British gets war-with-Eastasia'd out of existence and replaced, particularly if this is just a remake of an older Ultima. I'd be at least slightly amused if they removed British without removing anyone else with a resemblance to Garriott.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
ANImaniac89 said:
CriticKitten said:
Wow, it's impressive that all I know of Ultima is from Spoony's reviews, and yet I can instantly spot a ton of things wrong with this.
Agreed, Spoony's reviews have gotten me really interested the the Ultima series to the point where I've been looking to pick up the Ultima collection (if I could find a new copy for under $499.50)

When they say Cross platform do they mean its getting a console release? or just a PC and Mac one?

Also when the fuck is Bioware gonna stop dicking around and make Jade Empire 2?

Or maybe its a good thing they aren't making a JE2, being that the first Jade Empire was the LAST good game Bioware ever made. Yeah I said it FUCK Dragon Age and Mass Effect

Edit: Also

Well I don't know about any collections. But going over to GoG (good old games) you can pick up the games at reasonable prices. They even give Ultima 4 quest for the avatar away for free when you make an account. Well, every game but Ultima 9... but let's be honest, if Spoony's review is any indication, we're doing ourselves a favor not buying it.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
dragongit said:
ANImaniac89 said:
CriticKitten said:
Wow, it's impressive that all I know of Ultima is from Spoony's reviews, and yet I can instantly spot a ton of things wrong with this.
Agreed, Spoony's reviews have gotten me really interested the the Ultima series to the point where I've been looking to pick up the Ultima collection (if I could find a new copy for under $499.50)

When they say Cross platform do they mean its getting a console release? or just a PC and Mac one?

Also when the fuck is Bioware gonna stop dicking around and make Jade Empire 2?

Or maybe its a good thing they aren't making a JE2, being that the first Jade Empire was the LAST good game Bioware ever made. Yeah I said it FUCK Dragon Age and Mass Effect

Edit: Also

Well I don't know about any collections. But going over to GoG (good old games) you can pick up the games at reasonable prices. They even give Ultima 4 quest for the avatar away for free when you make an account. Well, every game but Ultima 9... but let's be honest, if Spoony's review is any indication, we're doing ourselves a favor not buying it.
yeah I just downloaded 4 and have been tooling around in it, but for some reason the two Worlds game just won't run on my laptop

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I've signed-up for the Beta...*shrug* It's not like I'm spending a penny.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Dear gods this will be terrible. They already killed Ultima! They didn't need to drag it up from it's grave and then slaughter it all over again.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
(Ahem) Most of the older Ultima games are available cheap on GOG...

...And don't require rewarding EA for continuing to loot the corpses of companies they butchered...

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
SachielOne said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Poor Spoony, first being Fired from TGWTG and now THIS^
Seriously someone should check-up on him.
From Spoony's twitter this morning after he found out about this: "Well, that about does it. I'm off to go start slamming my head in a car door, and I may never stop."
And part 2 of his Ultima IX review went up three days ago. I wonder if this is EA's way of challenging him.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
and of course we have the inevitable, mean-spirited hissy fit that a lot of Bioware news tends to attract. God this is getting boring.

Anyway, I would rather EA try to bring back the series proper. I could see some interesting things done with a revamp since the originals haven't exactly aged well in terms of mechanics. As for Garriot, I could care less really. He did great things once upon a time, but his post-Ultima career has been rather lackluster to say the least. That and Lord British avatar at times was a little egotistical.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Excellent.

I was looking for another time sink with homosexual love interests and a story that's some unholy patchwork or brilliance mixed in with fanfic quality writing and absolutely no coherent theme.

I'm excited already.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Lady British? Well, I mean I COULD just go check that out-

hey, wait a second, you just want me to sign up for origin, don't you?

nice try, ea

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
From the Kotaku article that was linked on the first page:

In this case, that means a top-down isometric view, with hand-painted backgrounds and 3D characters. According to Barnett, "It plays fast, it's clicky, but the combat's fluid and fun rather than tactical and mind-numbing. The character progression is soft with a smooth up ramp... You're going to get in conversation trees which are much more like you would get in Dragon Age."
So in addition to all the other changes people are mockingly suggesting they're going to do they will also be making it a Diablo clone. Because that's just what fans of old school CRPG's want, more Diablo clones...

Also what's this Spoony review everyone's talking about?