BioWare Making Free-to-Play Ultima RPG

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
RandV80 said:
From the Kotaku article that was linked on the first page:

In this case, that means a top-down isometric view, with hand-painted backgrounds and 3D characters. According to Barnett, "It plays fast, it's clicky, but the combat's fluid and fun rather than tactical and mind-numbing. The character progression is soft with a smooth up ramp... You're going to get in conversation trees which are much more like you would get in Dragon Age."
So in addition to all the other changes people are mockingly suggesting they're going to do they will also be making it a Diablo clone. Because that's just what fans of old school CRPG's want, more Diablo clones...

Also what's this Spoony review everyone's talking about?

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/ultima-retrospective/

A retrospective look back/review of the Ultima series from 0 to 9 but former TGWTG reviewer The Spoonyone

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
You know what the hilarious thing is?

All of you would be baying at the moon to play this game if it didn't have EA's name stamped on it.

It's a shame that the greatest game company in history is going to have an undeserved reputation simply because of who their publisher is.
No, I think it looks bad because it looks bad - only two classes with no rogue? Free to play with cartoony art style? Lady British? The blame lies with EA and Bioware, but the game is bad on its own merits.

Incidentally, which Bioware is making this? I think there's like eight of them now - all different companies rebranded under the same label, regardless of whether they have anything to do with the original Bioware.

At some point though, you've got to wonder what EA thinks of the fact everyone hates them - I mean, do they genuinely expect fans to like this kind of thing? They must at some point have started wondering why people dislike them. I mean, Bioware's proven to be oblivious in the past, but EA's been around long enough they must have noticed something.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
damn them, if they were hell bent on a free to play ultima online they should have used the original ultima online as a base and tried to be as close to source material as possible of all the good games. Then added the ability to buy something like plex from eve for all the ingame micro transactions. Also for god sake plz dont make it care bear the best thing about UO was being able to loose all your stuff as well as player housing placed any where you wanted.

until then eve will be the closest thing to a successor to UO which is sad.

Sorryflip

Jul 9, 2012
PurePareidolia said:
At some point though, you've got to wonder what EA thinks of the fact everyone hates them - I mean, do they genuinely expect fans to like this kind of thing? They must at some point have started wondering why people dislike them. I mean, Bioware's proven to be oblivious in the past, but EA's been around long enough they must have noticed something.
They don't care about their reputation or releasing good games they only care about money. What they do is leech of the reputation of others. They buy up companies with good reputations like bioware for example, then they proceed to rush their project releasing an unfinished game which still sells because of the reputation of the name they bought.

Thats what they do, they buy some hype, milk it as much as they can and when EA corrupted said gaming companies reputation enough they dispose of it in the dumpster. When people miss the game they ruined, they take it out of the dumpster again after a couple of years and start milking it dry again.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:

All of you would be baying at the moon to play this game if it didn't have EA's name stamped on it.
Um yeah, thats right...

i might hold out some hope for it being good if eas name wasn't stamped all over it. Right now with there name on it i can expect a buggy, rushed to meet deadlines set by them, unplayable mess or at best a mediocre mmo. Id like to be proven otherwise.

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:

It's a shame that the greatest game company in history is going to have an undeserved reputation simply because of who their publisher is.
What's so strange about it though? EA *is* the publisher that ran the franchise, once the foremost CRPG saga, into the ground. Precedent is not on their side.