BioWare: Mass Effect 3 Is the Best Game We've Ever Made

Nazgual

Apr 16, 2011
I'd rather see more gameplay videos than read them repeat that they are making changes they already talked about.

Dec 16, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The first Mass Effect arguably had far too many numbers to crunch thanks to the staggering number of inventory options, while the second arguably had too few, with skills cut down to the barest of essentials and inventory management all but gone. It wouldn't surprise me if the game took a similar route to Dragon age 2, and presented the player with all kinds of options, while leaving NPCs equipment fairly constant throughout the game, with upgrades to be found scattered across the galaxy.
In all seriousness; how many RPG fans thought ME1 had too many numbers to crunch and inventory options?
Another point, DA2 was the only Bioware game i quit before finishing, any comparissons or expectations between ME3 and DA2 would only put me (and I suspect a few others) off the idea of ME3.

PS I am looking forward to playing ME3

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well of course they're going to say that. When was the last time you heard a developer or publisher say, "Yeah, our upcoming game is alright. Nothing special, mind you, but well above average. We think it's more-or-less worth buying."

That said, I would not be entirely surprised if I end up agreeing with them.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Xaositect said:
Everyone with at least a partially functioning brain knows that they havent done anything that matches Baldurs Gate. Not even KOTOR.
I would be of the opinion that anyone with a partially functioning brain would realise different people have different tastes.

The 'edgy' cynicism on this thread is laughable.

Mr Ink 5000 said:
In all seriousness; how many RPG fans thought ME1 had too many numbers to crunch and inventory options?
Me for one - and anyone I've spoken to who played it.

Inventory management was appallingly over-complicated in ME1 and the stats were basically only there to make you have to play half the game before you could shoot straight.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
I sympathise.

However, this is a statement from a marketing director regarding an upcoming product. Surely a generous dose of cynicism is advisable when encountering such things.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
That's what they said about Mass Effect 2 and I wasn't impressed. Last decent game they put out was Dragons Age: Origins.

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
Sorry Bioware you may be of the opinion that ME3 is the best game you've ever made but in my opinion (and granted I haven't played ME3) it's going to have to be pretty feckin spectacular to be better than Jade Empire. That in my humble (ah screw it I have an opinion so why be humble about it =D) opinion is the best game you have ever made.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Mr Ink 5000 said:
I did, and I've been playing RPGs for years, both videogames and table top.

It got to be ridiculous towards the end of the game. If you get to the point where you literally can't carry any more weapons, armour or equipment, but you can't get rid of anything because you've also got the maximum amount of money and omni-gel, then it's too much. The system sorely needed streamlining, although personally, I felt that ME2 streamlined it a little too much.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Zhukov said:
However, this is a statement from a marketing director regarding an upcoming product. Surely a generous dose of cynicism is advisable when encountering such things.
I agree with you, it's more the vitriolic tone of the cynicism that bugs me. There's far too much of it on this forum these days.

Dec 16, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Me for one - and anyone I've spoken to who played it.

Inventory management was appallingly over-complicated in ME1 and the stats were basically only there to make you have to play half the game before you could shoot straight.
Logan Westbrook said:
I did, and I've been playing RPGs for years, both videogames and table top.

It got to be ridiculous towards the end of the game. If you get to the point where you literally can't carry any more weapons, armour or equipment, but you can't get rid of anything because you've also got the maximum amount of money and omni-gel, then it's too much. The system sorely needed streamlining, although personally, I felt that ME2 streamlined it a little too much.
Goes to show, you can't please everyone; personally, i'd pick overly complex over "streamlined"

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
BioWare. Why would you say this? Now if the game doesn't manage to surpass every single game you have made (Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, the other ME games), your fans will inevitably be disappointed and call you out on it. Though come to think of it, they'll be bitchy and disappointed anyway, won't they?
They say this... because it's what game companys DO... You have to hype your product. What are they going to do, tell us they just phoned this one in for the money? >.> It's also why, I consider it a meaningless statment. Of course THEY think it's the best game they ever made...

All that matter to me is that *I* think it's the best game they ever made. And i'm hoping it's good enough for me to think that. Time will tell...

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Zhukov said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I sympathise.

MiracleOfSound said:
Zhukov said:
I agree with you, it's more the vitriolic tone of the cynicism that bugs me. There's far too much of it on this forum these days.
I think people get healthy skepticism and knee-jerk cynicism mixed up. It's one thing to take comments made by a marketing director with a pinch of salt, but it's another to pour scorn onto something as a reflex.

Also, people really need to learn the difference between something they don't like, and something that is actually bad.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
I don't doubt them for a second. Mass Effect is my favorite game series to date, and I guess i'm not the only one.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I love Bioware as much as the next guy, but I'll wait till the game comes out to say for certain whether it is the best game ever made.

Actually, I'd like the weapons to actually have stats show up. That was one thing that annoyed me in Mass Effect 2. It was pretty bad when I got the handgun upgrade and soon found that had a fraction of the ammo. It'd be great if I could actually see the damage, clip size, and spare ammo in game. As well as other things like accuracy, recoil, rate of fire, etc.

We'll all know soon enough.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Mr Ink 5000 said:
The problem wasn't 'options', it was junk. Since your character auto-looted everything you would up with an inventory full of garbage weapons that you had no use for and had to get rid of somehow.

Actually, this is an excellent example of where Bioware dumbed something down because it was easier than taking a look at the real problem and actually *improving* it instead. The inventory system iteself was fine. What they needed was to not auto-loot a weapon for you unless it had at least some chance of being an upgrade for you or one of your squadmates. Meanwhile, toss a few unique weapons into the mix. Finding one cool gun every three times you sort through your inventory may not sound like a lot, but the psycological impact is *huge*.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
I think people get healthy skepticism and knee-jerk cynicism mixed up. It's one thing to take comments made by a marketing director with a pinch of salt, but it's another to pour scorn onto something as a reflex.

Also, people really need to learn the difference between something they don't like, and something that is actually bad.
Yeah I'm with you on that one.

Personally... I can't wait for ME3, as ME2 is my number 2 favourite game of all time. Everything he said they're doing is everything I want from it.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Of course they'll say that, ME is their cash cow and they surely don't want a repeat of DA2's disastrous reception. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
darthzew said:
If this were any other developer, I wouldn't believe this.
What if Valve said it?
Valve already made portal

OT:

I'm awaiting the hordes of rpg elitists saying they've made it too mainste-

*looks further up*

Tooooooo late. Can't please anyone can you

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Kingsnake661 said:
AlternatePFG said:
BioWare. Why would you say this? Now if the game doesn't manage to surpass every single game you have made (Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, the other ME games), your fans will inevitably be disappointed and call you out on it. Though come to think of it, they'll be bitchy and disappointed anyway, won't they?
They say this... because it's what game companys DO... You have to hype your product. What are they going to do, tell us they just phoned this one in for the money? >.>
It'd be a nice change of pace. xD

Nah I know this is what they are supposed to do but I just think hype has a way of pissing off fans if it doesn't live up to every single thing they have promised. I know this is an absolutely meaningless statement, but fans will still tear them apart for it if they don't keep their word. Making statements like this in the add really doesn't add hype to the game, it just raises their expectations too high. In my opinion at least, I've been burned by hype and unrealistic expectations way too many times before.