BioWare: Mass Effect 3 Is the Best Game We've Ever Made

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

The latest installment of the Mass Effect series has taken inspiration from some of the best games of recent years.

Anything Mass Effect 2 could do, Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FYEZMQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d2_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02RZTAY2DRJSKYE1M7NM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] can do, too, and better besides. That's the word from BioWare, which says that not only will the action be more impressive in ME3, but the RPG elements will be much deeper as well. In fact, BioWare's marketing director, David Silverman, said that that Mass Effect 3 was the best game that the developer has ever made at its Edmonton office.

He said that the game struck a balance between the action - which BioWare wants to be on a par with the best action games around - and the RPG side, which he admitted could have been deeper in Mass Effect 2. Silverman said that BioWare hadn't wanted to go so far down the RPG route that Shepard started breaking out his dice, but at the same time wanted to give players the chance to really customize their characters. "We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too," said Silverman. "What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not."

Getting the perfect balance between RPG and action is no mean feat. The first Mass Effect arguably had far too many numbers to crunch thanks to the staggering number of inventory options, while the second arguably had too few, with skills cut down to the barest of essentials and inventory management all but gone. It wouldn't surprise me if the game took a similar route to Dragon age 2, and presented the player with all kinds of options, while leaving NPCs equipment fairly constant throughout the game, with upgrades to be found scattered across the galaxy.

Of course, no matter what else happens, Mass Effect 3 will almost certainly be a good game. If BioWare does manage to get the balance just about right though, it might skip the "good" stage entirely and go straight to "great," or perhaps even "darn near perfect."

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/312681/mass-effect-3-will-be-more-action-adventure-y-than-me2/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I could have sworn they said the same thing for Mass Effect 2 and... well, that did turn out pretty good. I guess my hopes should be high.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
BioWare. Why would you say this? Now if the game doesn't manage to surpass every single game you have made (Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, the other ME games), your fans will inevitably be disappointed and call you out on it. Though come to think of it, they'll be bitchy and disappointed anyway, won't they?

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:

He said that the game struck a balance between the action - which BioWare wants to be on a par with the best action games around - and the RPG side, which he admitted could have been deep in Mass Effect 2. Silverman said that BioWare hadn't wanted to go so far down the RPG route that Shepard started breaking out his dice, but at the same time wanted to give players the chance to really customize their characters. "We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too," said Silverman. "What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not."
So Bioware have abandoned all pretense that they're RPG Developers? Great, now all we need is the fanboys to realize this and we can see some improvement.

Of course this is going on my experiences of Dragon Age.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
In fact, BioWare's marketing director, David Silverman, said that that Mass Effect 3 was the best game that the developer has ever made at its Edmonton office.
Ah, ye old Escapist titles of trickery.

OT: One can see how there's the potential to combine the best of both ME games and make a 'perfect' game, but for me personally this game's reputation hangs on whether it handles the conclusion of the Reaper storyline with some finesse or just descends into cheesy space opera padded out by pathos.

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
Of course I have faith in BioWare to make another great installment to this series. Things have been looking good so far, with the gameplay trailers and interviews.

But.

Logan Westbrook said:
"What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not."
I swear to poop if I get a whiff of mainstream-ification, I will go postal.

AlternatePFG said:
BioWare. Why would you say this? Now if the game doesn't manage to surpass every single game you have made (Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, the other ME games), your fans will inevitably be disappointed and call you out on it. Though come to think of it, they'll be bitchy and disappointed anyway, won't they?
This as well.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Regardless of hype, I want this game so much I may just maintain the fetal position until it comes out.

Not sure if it can be their best ever game, but we'll see, we'll see

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it.

I replayed KOTOR recently and topping that seems too good to be true.

Craazhy said:
Of course I have faith in BioWare to make another great installment to this series. Things have been looking good so far, with the gameplay trailers and interviews.

But.

Mainstream-ification? Both games in the ME series are mainstream as shit.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
which he admitted could have been deep in Mass Effect 2.
The first Mass Effect arguably had far too much numbers to crunch
While I hate to be a pedant (alright, if I'm honest, I actually love it, but still), these are bugging me.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah? Well we'll all see when it's out and judge that for ourselves. I'm still not happy that ME3 is moving more to the shooter side of gameplay and not the RPG side.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Oh, BioWare, you're silly.
You can't make me want to buy ME3 anymore than I do. It's like advertising air - I will breathe it anyway.

Craazhy

Tic-Tock and Crash
Aug 22, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
I'll believe it when I see it.

I replayed KOTOR recently and topping that seems too good to be true.

Craazhy said:

But.

Mainstream-ification? Both games in the ME series are mainstream as shit.

Okay, well while they're not NWN or Baldur's Gate, it's definitely not GoW or CoD.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I'd have more faith in them if they weren't delaying it for 4 months to "streamline" it for a wider audience, something which is impossible to do any further than ME2 did unless you completely remove all RPG elements and literally make it a 3rd person shooter with dialogue trees.

I remain optimistic dear BioWare but you are on my naughty list at the moment.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
After playing the first two Mass Effect games, I highly doubt it. Unless of course they were to do an even better ripoff of Anachronox, then, it's got a shot. But face it, anything they do won't hold a candle to Baldur's Gate 2.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well if they say it's good then it must be true...

Ya that's not how it works, will pick it up for sure but I need to see the real deal before I decide at what price tag to drop some cash.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Logan Westbrook said:

He said that the game struck a balance between the action - which BioWare wants to be on a par with the best action games around - and the RPG side, which he admitted could have been deep in Mass Effect 2. Silverman said that BioWare hadn't wanted to go so far down the RPG route that Shepard started breaking out his dice, but at the same time wanted to give players the chance to really customize their characters. "We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too," said Silverman. "What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not."
So Bioware have abandoned all pretense that they're RPG Developers? Great, now all we need is the fanboys to realize this and we can see some improvement.

Of course this is going on my experiences of Dragon Age.
Mass Effect was never intended to be a pure RPG to begin with. They've made it perfectly clear with Mass Effect 1 that they're making an RPG shooter. A real RPG shooter if I might add. I love both games, and I'm sure I'll love Mass Effect 3 as well. I see no way they can fail now. All they need to do is stick to what was good in previous games, remove or redefine what was bad, and add some other features fans requested.
Adzma said:
I'd have more faith in them if they weren't delaying it for 4 months to "streamline" it for a wider audience, something which is impossible to do any further than ME2 did unless you completely remove all RPG elements and literally make it a 3rd person shooter with dialogue trees.

I remain optimistic dear BioWare but you are on my naughty list at the moment.
I think they're delaying it because Q4 of 2011 is full of competition. Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty MW3, Skyrim, Deus Ex 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Batman Arkham City etc. ME3 would sell well, of course, but it will sell even better if it's released a couple of months later.

tenochtitlan

Mar 21, 2009
I really believe ME3 will be a great game - probably even a "darn near perfect" one.

But what I really want to see is a publisher/developer standing up and saying - screw that PR drivel, our next game is going to suck. Because that would be actual, literal news. The Rovio guys came close to that recently, publicly admitting that they are unable to replicate Angry Birds' success anytime soon so they decided continue to milk that cash cow for the next years.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Well at least people can't say they only doing cover based shooting, however like all Mass effect games I'll hold my breath cos there is always something holding them back from greatness.