BioWare: Mass Effect 3's Weapon Mods Give Players More Meaningful Choices

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Since the customization was so token and irrelevant in ME1, I view this more as an addition to the series than a reintroduction - and with that said, it looks like a welcome one.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I disliked trudging through 104891384913 weapons in Mass Effect, but I also disliked having around 5 weapons to choose from in Mass Effect 2. If they can find a healthy balance between the two I am definitely looking forward to it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Sounds awesome, but the proof is in the pudding.

The first Mass Effect had some decent customization options, though some could easily be exploited to have never-ending fire upon your enemies. The second Mass Effect was drastically cut down, with very few weapons coming along your way to upgrade. I spent half the game with the basic submachine gun until I got an marginal upgrade. It was fun, sure, but it was so drastically simplified. It's like Bioware overreacted to the negative criticisms of the inventory and went "Aha! So you get no inventory! You like that better?"

Hopefully Mass Effect 3 will be complex and streamlined at the same time. We'll just have to wait and see.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Wait, how does it alter the economy? Does anyone know? Is it just merchants changing their stock every once in a while like in ME 1 or does the game actually have a fluctuating price system based on supply and demand? I mean, I'm doubting it's the latter, but that would be really cool. You'd undoubtedly get people complaining that it's too hard to get anything good though.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
So long as I don't have to sort through 20 billion weapons, armors, and mods or have to constantly be mindful of an inventory, sounds great. A options are good. Having to constantly open my inventory because it keeps getting full, bad.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Sartan0 said:
newwiseman said:
Considering I never once changed my equipment in ME2 I am looking forward to the step back. I'll probably not pre-order this time though.
Yeah. This does not make the case for not pre-ordering for me though. That choice was made with the travesty that was DA:2. Most likely the game will be great but I am never pre-ordering another Bioware game again no matter how they try to incentivise me to do so. If (and when I hope) ME3 proves to be just as kick ass as I imagine it will be I shall happily buy any extra content I would have got with pre-ordering. If they make the pre-order content exclusive they will just piss me off.
Don't worry they will, but that is why you play it on the PC and install all the different pre-order options and bonuses.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
fi6eka said:
Thank the lord.I was actually afraid they were gonna' dumb it down for the consols like the previous one.
The original started as a console exclusive, before being ported to the PC. The irony, it burns.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
fi6eka said:
Random Argument Man said:
Dumbed down for the consoles?...If I recall, ME1 came on the xbox first then on PC...Then again, I never understood the whole "dumbed down for consoles" argument.
Be a bit more sensetive, I have just started my troll training.Jees, people around here always want to run you in the mud. :]
erm he isn't the one coming across as sensitive... :)

OT: It's cool that mods are back, but what do they mean about the economy?

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
fi6eka said:
Random Argument Man said:
Dumbed down for the consoles?...If I recall, ME1 came on the xbox first then on PC...Then again, I never understood the whole "dumbed down for consoles" argument.
Be a bit more sensetive, I have just started my troll training.Jees, people around here always want to run you in the mud. :]

You want to understand "dumbed down for consoles" - Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 fit that bill well.Just in resent year alot of good an promicing games have been consumed by the strife for larger audience.That's why i can always find praise for games like The Witcher - a game so unintuative that you need to be a rocket scienist to understand the f***n' interface.
Troll training!?!?! At least you got the bad gram....Nevermind that.

While I never played Crysis 2 (or 1), I did beat DA2. DA2 had bad design choices. The idea of "simplifying" a game is also a design choice. For me, "simplifying" is when a designer takes a previous feature and makes it more simple. "Dumbing down" is removing previous features that worked because a select few thought it was too complicated.

The two will often get mixed up and we'll get bad fingerpointing at the wrong places. Some games will have their complicated mechanics fixed and it will provide easier gameplay, but someone will say "it's dumbed down" anyway.

In other occasions, "dumbing down" is a reality. But for consoles? The designer made his decisions. He didn't not say "We're removing these features because your grandma didn't understood or could not play it on her Wii". If we're going to blame someone for "dumbing down", blame lazy design choices from louzy designers who didn't take the time to "simplify".

Alkore

May 25, 2009
Hopefully they find a way to streamline the process from me1 because i preferred that much more to having no choice like i seemed to have in me1.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Eh, it doesn't matter. There could be a zillion different ways to customize your weapons but only 1 or 2 setups will be used because they will outperform anything else.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
So, now I can outfit my weapons like a CoD player? Great. Don't suppose some of that depth will splash over in to the writing or the character classes eh, BioWare? I'm so bitter.

Do you know I just watched a ME3 trailer that had no dialogue in it at all? It was all combat and rock music and him stabbing guys with the holoknife. Don't call it an omnitool. an Omnitool is just that, a tool. A Swiss Army Knife isn't a weapon, a tricorder isn't a phaser, and an omnitool isn't a melee attack.

I realize there was no money in Space RPG, but did it have to do THIS?! Mechandize more, or give me more rip-off DLC. Anything but relentlessly turning my favourite franchise into another stupid thirdperson shooter.

I swear, the next romance arc is just going to be the sex mini game from God of War. The next plot is just going to be "Shoot the dudes, save the galaxy" and the next game-ending moral choice is going to just be "Be Retarded in Blue" or "Be an Asshole" in red. Fuck you Bioware, you were like family, and this is how you repay me.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I would be happy if my choices in the story mode actually had an effect of the game other than receiving an email. For example you killed the mama shark in Kotor and all stim packs were more expensive for the rest of the game.

Also the combat in ME2 was tedious. Gears Mass of Effect War. Every fight except for the psionic bubble were exactly the same. Your teammates didn't matter except maybe for a couple of throwaway lines of dialog.

I'm looking for enough differences to give me a reason to replay the game. I think ME2 was the first bioware game that I played through once and uninstalled.

Nov 28, 2007
Crunchy English said:
So, now I can outfit my weapons like a CoD player? Great. Don't suppose some of that depth will splash over in to the writing or the character classes eh, BioWare? I'm so bitter.

Do you know I just watched a ME3 trailer that had no dialogue in it at all? It was all combat and rock music and him stabbing guys with the holoknife. Don't call it an omnitool. an Omnitool is just that, a tool. A Swiss Army Knife isn't a weapon, a tricorder isn't a phaser, and an omnitool isn't a melee attack.

I realize there was no money in Space RPG, but did it have to do THIS?! Mechandize more, or give me more rip-off DLC. Anything but relentlessly turning my favourite franchise into another stupid thirdperson shooter.

I swear, the next romance arc is just going to be the sex mini game from God of War. The next plot is just going to be "Shoot the dudes, save the galaxy" and the next game-ending moral choice is going to just be "Be Retarded in Blue" or "Be an Asshole" in red. Fuck you Bioware, you were like family, and this is how you repay me.
Amazing that you can tell how the entire game will be just from a single trailer with no dialogue. How do you do that?

kikito

Jan 11, 2011
I'd say the meaning of "meaningful" is stretched here. Choosing "explosive rounds" or "incendiary rounds" sounds as "meaningful" to me as choosing the armor color.

I didn't like how they handled the choices in MEII. The story was basically the same, no matter what you did in MEI. You killed the krogan? No problem, his "brother" will be sitting where he would be, and give you the same conversation options. And if you didn't kill him, he's not going to be able to join your team anyway, sorry.

You left the rachni queen live? All you get is a 2-lines conversation.

You killed/saved the council? It doesn't matter, they are irrelevant, you follow the Martin Sheen guy now.

Bah.

I felt conned. All my choices from MEI were completely irrelevant.

They should fix THAT. I don't care about explosive rounds.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
What an accomplishment, they've found a balance between switching weapon mods every 3 seconds and having 1 gun the entire game.