BioWare: Mass Effect 3's Weapon Mods Give Players More Meaningful Choices

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Choosing what type of painful end the enemy will meet is hardly what I'd call a "meaningful" choice.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Please, if this means the inventory system from Mass Effect 1 will return, I'd say no. Hoisting around a truckload of miscellaneous mickmacks you will never EVER need to use is by far the most asinine part of any RPG ever created. Especially since you technically can't just THROW it away. You're gonna need those extra money you get from selling all that junk, kiddo.

This is the main reason I thought Mass Effect 2 were better than Mass Effect 1, gameplay-wise.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Crunchy English said:
So, now I can outfit my weapons like a CoD player? Great. Don't suppose some of that depth will splash over in to the writing or the character classes eh, BioWare? I'm so bitter.

Do you know I just watched a ME3 trailer that had no dialogue in it at all? It was all combat and rock music and him stabbing guys with the holoknife. Don't call it an omnitool. an Omnitool is just that, a tool. A Swiss Army Knife isn't a weapon, a tricorder isn't a phaser, and an omnitool isn't a melee attack.

I realize there was no money in Space RPG, but did it have to do THIS?! Mechandize more, or give me more rip-off DLC. Anything but relentlessly turning my favourite franchise into another stupid thirdperson shooter.

I swear, the next romance arc is just going to be the sex mini game from God of War. The next plot is just going to be "Shoot the dudes, save the galaxy" and the next game-ending moral choice is going to just be "Be Retarded in Blue" or "Be an Asshole" in red. Fuck you Bioware, you were like family, and this is how you repay me.
Amazing that you can tell how the entire game will be just from a single trailer with no dialogue. How do you do that?
I use a special skill called "Hyperbole". It does lose a little steam in the face of Sarcasm, though, I'll admit. My point stands. There are tons of awesome shooters out there, and plenty more awful ones. Can't RPG fans have a AAA Sci-fi title now and again? Fingers crossed on Deus Ex.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
kikito said:
I'd say the meaning of "meaningful" is stretched here. Choosing "explosive rounds" or "incendiary rounds" sounds as "meaningful" to me as choosing the armor color.

I didn't like how they handled the choices in MEII. The story was basically the same, no matter what you did in MEI. You killed the krogan? No problem, his "brother" will be sitting where he would be, and give you the same conversation options. And if you didn't kill him, he's not going to be able to join your team anyway, sorry.

You left the rachni queen live? All you get is a 2-lines conversation.

You killed/saved the council? It doesn't matter, they are irrelevant, you follow the Martin Sheen guy now.

Bah.

I felt conned. All my choices from MEI were completely irrelevant.

They should fix THAT. I don't care about explosive rounds.
I think they will make a difference in ME3. did the quarians go on a pointless war or did they prepare for the reapers? do you have 13 million extra geth to fight the reapers with? are the krogan still wallowing about on their world blowing each other up, or has Wrex united the clans to be able to fight the reapers? Will the Rachni be able to assist? How badly is Martin Sheen going to go on a mass genocide with the collector technology, if you let him have it (I haven't let myself get much info on ME3, so I don't know wtf cerberus are doing).
Also, Liara in LotSB disagrees with ME1 choices being irrelevant ;)

OT: Hopefully they will be things that are actual choices: underslung attachment, a scope, a silencer, a better cooling system, rather than "25% damage or 30% damage" - later equipment increasing versatility, not power.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Fappy said:
Iklwa said:
So long as I don't have to sort through 3 billion rail extensions or ammunition types to get what I need, I'll be a-ok
Come on, who didn't like sorting through hundreds of "Explosive Rounds X"?
Oh lawds the memories! Best be having a good menu system or I will be having fits (who am I kidding, I love ME too much to let that stop me).

Has anyone else been wondering how many discs this will require and how they plan to handle installations?

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Random Argument Man said:
fi6eka said:
Thank the lord.I was actually afraid they were gonna' dumb it down for the consols like the previous one.
Dumbed down for the consoles?...If I recall, ME1 came on the xbox first then on PC...Then again, I never understood the whole "dumbed down for consoles" argument.
It's another way for the PC master race to lord over console users.

O/T I'll see how this goes. I was happy with the systems used in both games to be honest.

Juuel

Jun 2, 2011
Crunchy English said:
Do you know I just watched a ME3 trailer that had no dialogue in it at all? It was all combat and rock music and him stabbing guys with the holoknife. Don't call it an omnitool. an Omnitool is just that, a tool. A Swiss Army Knife isn't a weapon, a tricorder isn't a phaser, and an omnitool isn't a melee attack.
Why yes, if they've renewed the combat system they might aswell show it to us. If a trailer doesn't show us dialogue, it must mean there is no dialogue! Also, stop throwing a tantrum just because you don't like what they call a melee weapon. Perhaps melee combat will finally be more varied, but I guess some people are never happy.

I realize there was no money in Space RPG, but did it have to do THIS?! Mechandize more, or give me more rip-off DLC. Anything but relentlessly turning my favourite franchise into another stupid thirdperson shooter.
No money? Mass Effects have sold 7 million so far, I wouldn't exactly call it bad. Also, you're getting incredibly emotional over trailers. Why won't you actually play the game first and if you're unsatisfied, complain then? Why the need for cries of discontent half a year before release?

I swear, the next romance arc is just going to be the sex mini game from God of War. The next plot is just going to be "Shoot the dudes, save the galaxy" and the next game-ending moral choice is going to just be "Be Retarded in Blue" or "Be an Asshole" in red. Fuck you Bioware, you were like family, and this is how you repay me.
Do you want the trailers to spoil the plot for you? Honestly? Take a deeeeeeep breath in and try to think if you're making any sense: you're judging the game a shallow shooter based on trailers. Any chance you might be the shallow one?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Iklwa said:
So long as I don't have to sort through 3 billion rail extensions or ammunition types to get what I need, I'll be a-ok
I'd rather do that then have to spend 100,000 credits on a 10% damage boost. Especially since money didn't really come to you quickly in ME2 like ME1.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
As long as Bioware can constrain their spreadsheet fetish, keep the mods down to a reasonable level (Unlike ME1) and actually make the system interesting and intuitive the all is well. Otherwise I think there's a bloody good reason they left weapon mods out of ME2.
otakon17 said:
Iklwa said:
I'd rather do that then have to spend 100,000 credits on a 10% damage boost. Especially since money didn't really come to you quickly in ME2 like ME1.
Really? I had 2,986,302 (exact number by loading save game) credits by the end-game. (of course there is the fact that I did every single side mission I could get my hands on, even going so as far as consluting a FAQ sheet to find more missions.)

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Fappy said:
Iklwa said:
Come on, who didn't like sorting through hundreds of "Explosive Rounds X"?
I can find no flaw with this statement whatsoever. I think we all loved it.

Personally I hate this game for making me loathe the precious months of my life between now and march. I can't think of a better use for a time machine at the moment.

Quiet you. I know you've thought of 20 already.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
fi6eka said:
Thank the lord.I was actually afraid they were gonna' dumb it down for the consols like the previous one.
Dumbed down for the consoles?...If I recall, ME1 came on the xbox first then on PC...Then again, I never understood the whole "dumbed down for consoles" argument.
Didn't you hear? Apparently every flaw in every game ever made can now be blamed on consoles.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Eeeeeh, im a big (read: MASSIVE) RPG fan myself but to me I never missed the RPG mechanics in Mass Effect 2. Maybe thats because I really liked the game and was having to much fun to worry about what should have been in it, but there you go.
Same. I enjoyed ME2 for what it was. Sure, I missed having the huge amount of weapons and mods to choose from, but I still enjoyed ME2 and the combat was better than ever. The combat just lacked depth, even though it had a lot more than, say, Gears of War.

Nov 28, 2007
I_am_a_Spoon said:
fi6eka said:
Didn't you hear? Apparently every flaw in every game ever made can now be blamed on consoles.
Doom was good until they had to dumb it down for consoles.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
I preferred the mass effect 2 gameplay over mass effect 1 and overall it does not really matter, it is the story that matter's not the combat so much (at least that is the case for me). and the story in mass effect 2 was alot more interesting and indepth than the one in mass effect 1

Jacksaw Jack

Mar 17, 2011
I want my charm and intimidate skills back and not have choices tied to the renegade/paragon meter. Free choice in all decisions (as long as you're willing to invest in it) like the first game. Sometimes, even a nice guy has to be a total dick.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
as long i dont have to spend hours looking through upgrades to make the weapon i like to have. also as some one already said, spending lots of money on a single upgrade is not nice either. well, lets see what will come next year. sounds good though.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
So ME 3 having weapons mod is news in this site (like every ME 3 related stuff). They had to do something 'cos ME 2 had 2 weapons choices if you were a soldier and a third one you had to choose along the story. And upgrading it was just do more damage, loose recoil. AKA not that amusing.