BioWare: MMORPGs Have "No Point"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
BioWare: MMORPGs Have "No Point"

BioWare's philosophy on MMORPG development has been formed by the lack of purpose in the titles on the market today.

BioWare designer and Star Wars: The Old Republic writing director Daniel Erickson really wishes that there was more to most MMORPGs other than killing 20 ravenous giraffes to satisfy a nondescript NPC's quest text. Speaking to CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=248858], he says that MMORPGs often forget about story, giving them "no point."

MMORPGs first came along with the promise of a single-player RPG that was much larger. However, Erickson feels that many left out an important component, saying: "It was the ruleset to an RPG: There was combat, and there were areas, but that was all ... There was no story, there was no point. You just kind of wandered around. And that hasn't really changed all that much over the years. "

He cares a lot about the issue because he's developing the next big MMORPG hope with The Old Republic. Erickson says that BioWare is not forgetting what an RPG should be: "Old Republic should be all the things we thought an MMO would be in the first place - which is all the parts of an RPG."

Primarily, Erickson believes The Old Republic "should just be fun," and shouldn't force players to "ignore all of the content to get to the end as fast as possible." BioWare genuinely wants to put the fun of a single-player RPG into the fun of an MMORPG, despite resistance from people saying it was "sacrilege" to "put interesting bits in an MMO."

BioWare surely has been talking as if it knows it's cracked the eternal problem of crafting a great story that fits with the gameplay of an MMORPG. Hopefully, all the money [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100967-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-is-EAs-Most-Expensive-Project-in-History] EA is putting into BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic will ensure it does have a point, along with the expected thousands of Sith Lords kicking the crap out of innocent droids.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=248858]

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Well I'd completely agree with that! I only hope BioWare don't screw up big time. I'm really looking forward to this.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Here's hoping they succeed in marrying singleplayer fun and quality to rich multiplayer content.

Apr 28, 2008
If they succeed, I will love them forever.

This is the only MMO I've actually gotten exited for. Sure APB looks neat and I'm sure the MMO's out now are cool, but they just don't interest me.

Can't wait for this.

Aug 25, 2009
My only concern is that a story has to end. And if a MMORPG ends then it, well, ends. No more money, no more customers. The only other option is to have multiple stories, one after the other, giving people a way out if they want (Leaving when the story's over) or continuing with the 'sequel'.

But that gives rise to all the problems of sequels, and I don't think even Bioware is good enough to stave off sequelitis long enough for a MMORPG

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Blizzard kinda advanced the warcraft lore with the Fall Of The Lich King patch. I hope Bioware can integrate a single player experience to a multiplayer game with a good story. I am pretty sure they can.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Lack of story is why I quit WoW. If the story is half as ggod as all other Bioware RPGs, then this game may be worth a look indeed.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Isn't the point of an MMO to interact in a world with a large number of other players? Why must story be crucial to that - it could be argued, in many ways, that MMO's have "more point" to them than traditional single-player RPG's.

In a traditional RPG you're playing to continue the story, to see the next area - but in an MMO you could be playing for any number of reasons; to beat a friends level, as a member of a clan are just two examples. MMO's will always have a point because the freedom usually offered allows players to create their own "point".
Just because the game doesn't have the same type of structure a traditional RPG has doesn't mean it lacks a "point". Stories in MMO's aren't really entertaining - of the few I've played I've never really cared for the story because ultimately, unless it really benefits me, there's no point to having a story at all.

MMO's aren't about story - and they aren't fun with a story because of the way they're told. For example, you can't have the same sort of character progression system seen in games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect - thus the story will always end up lacking any significant impact. I don't know if they're going to add such a system in this game - frankly I've not been the slightest bit interested in it. Then, to truly factor out any real impact the story will have, you've got the world - a world filled with people that will play out of character - will destroy any immersion you have in the world by acting in any other way.

I disagree with the points made; Bioware really need to stop making such controversial topics; I strongly disagreed with their assessment of Final Fantasy, and I strongly disagree here too.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
A story isn't really much of a concern as more as making a living, breathing world in an MMORPG. A story is something that will end at some point in time, but it has to be a certain length without it being dragged out.

Plus, do you really need a story for killing other players? =P

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Well the fact is that MMO's are mad that way on purpose, it's part of a system (yes this sounds like a conspiracy theory but is REAL science) that is purpose built to cause addiction in the people who play it. Google B. F. Skinners rat box. There are people at microsoft, blizzard and other companies dealing in the MMO who are there to shape the product to create addiction.

D_987 said:
Isn't the point of an MMO to interact in a world with a large number of other players? Why must story be crucial to that - it could be argued, in many ways, that MMO's have "more point" to them than traditional single-player RPG's.

In a traditional RPG you're playing to continue the story, to see the next area - but in an MMO you could be playing for any number of reasons; to beat a friends level, as a member of a clan are just two examples. MMO's will always have a point because the freedom usually offered allows players to create their own "point".
Just because the game doesn't have the same type of structure a traditional RPG has doesn't mean it lacks a "point". Stories in MMO's aren't really entertaining - of the few I've played I've never really cared for the story because ultimately, unless it really benefits me, there's no point to having a story at all.

MMO's aren't about story - and they aren't fun with a story because of the way they're told. For example, you can't have the same sort of character progression system seen in games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect - thus the story will always end up lacking any significant impact. I don't know if they're going to add such a system in this game - frankly I've not been the slightest bit interested in it. Then, to truly factor out any real impact the story will have, you've got the world - a world filled with people that will play out of character - will destroy any immersion you have in the world by acting in any other way.

I disagree with the points made; Bioware really need to stop making such controversial topics; I strongly disagreed with their assessment of Final Fantasy, and I strongly disagree here too.
It's funny you should think that since WoW, back in the days of yore when I tried it was excruciating for me for that exact reason. Way too many people play games that are online, or that have online components, like they are alone. This is insanely frustrating and boring. There is a lot more to a branching story structure than just playing the quests you played before but instead of killing 20 sand-gimps you have to kill 20 space-pigs.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
This is why i love Bioware so much, they are willing to dumb down graphics to bring in immersion and heavy story. GOD BLESS BIOWARE! And thier next title, 'The Old Republic' i have a feeling that they will skyrocket past World of Warcraft very quickly. Though people may not like the Star Wars Series, it is deffinetly worth a try, just because its by BIOWARE!

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
brunothepig said:
Well, if anyone can do this Bioware can... I look forward to this game.
Agreed, I despise MMO's so far but I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Holy shit that Sith killed a lot of troopers.

OT: I hope Bioware pulls this one off. I'll be awaiting it's launch.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
The problem with MMORPGs isn't that the story is absent, WoW has quite a bit of lore. The problem lies in the fact that any game, especially competitive games like MMOs and shooters, will get torn down to its barest mathematical roots. "Elewin's Wind of Celestial Healing" might have three book's worth of story behind it, but to every single person who uses it enough it will become "HOT 150". It's not like they are intentionally doing this, but if you want to be competitive you really have no choice.