BioWare Mythic Surprised by Blizzard Real ID Plans

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
BioWare Mythic Surprised by Blizzard Real ID Plans

Blizzard badly misread its community, says BioWare Mythic's general manager.

Blizzard's plan to force posters to use their real names on its forums was met with a great deal of resistance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101946-Blizzard-is-Definitely-Listening-to-Real-ID-Feedback] and was scrapped [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101979-Blizzard-Nixes-Plans-to-Require-Real-Names] just days later. But while Blizzard might have changed its mind about Real ID, BioWare Mythic's general manager Eugene Evans said that he was surprised that Blizzard had proposed it in the first place.

Evans said that Blizzard had badly misread its community, but was pleased to see them responding to feedback. "We should all learn to listen to our communities," he said. "Their community made it very clear what the right answer is."

When asked if his company might implement a similar scheme, Evans simply stated that it was something BioWare Mythic would never do. Warhammer Online producer Carrie Goukous was more emphatic however, saying "No. Never. Never. No," to the idea and added that she'd personally had some very negative experiences with similar systems in the past, and that she would fight such a system "tooth and nail."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bioware-mythic-hates-real-id]

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I can't help the feeling that it is incredibly easy to say "Nay, we never would have thougth of that" after the whole thing is off the table, because of some kind of riot.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I heard that Blizzard only thought of doing it because it was a legal requirement in South Korea. Blizzard were faced with the choice of blocking their forums for South Korea and alienating one of their most loyal fanbases or implementing real id on their forums.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I still don't understand why people couldn't just use false names still.

I for one would be calling myself Hugh Jardon.

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
Ugh, this is basically an excuse for Bioware to laugh at Blizzard for trying an Idea.

Yeah, it was a bad idea and the fans didn't want it to happen, they scrapped it, fair enough. Bioware had no reason to have any response to this other than to gloat.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
As much as I love BioWare, they're starting to remind me of politicians that point out the mistakes made by someone else, then turn to the camera and give a winning smile with a wink. I love their games and I have complete faith in them, but... maybe it's time to take a step back and not make a press release calling everybody else a tosser whenever possible.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
The huge problem with having your real name on a forum/game is your workplace no exactly why you were late this morning.

Also what if you happen to be a former victim of domestic abuse with a stalking ex?.

That was a bit of Brain Fade by the guys at Blizzard, but we all know it and don't need Bioware to spell it out to us.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Apparently they were asked of their opinion on the matter. I am giving the glary eye to the one who asked and tried to necro a past event.
In that case, we're both on the same page, now. I guess I should be less up-in-arms over what BioWare's saying, and more peeved about the whole "HEY GUYS, YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT THOSE SNOTTY BASTARDS AT BIOWARE ARE SAYING NOW" thing we've got going on right now.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Nick Thaler said:
Can't believe were still talking about this
The reason we are still talking about this is because it has been thought up, brought to the table, and though taken off by Blizzard any other gaming company may decide they DO want to use it.
Gamers get complacent and we lose things we like such as localized multilayer and dedicated servers. So even though it is off the table now, our anonymity is still in danger in the long-term.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Woodsey said:
I still don't understand why people couldn't just use false names still.

I for one would be calling myself Hugh Jardon.
If you've previously used a credit cfard to pay it stores that name. There is no way to change or delete it. I tried really hard, but it knew my real name and was going to tell the world if I posted. Stupid plan.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Mackheath said:
I've lost some respect for Bioware for: A. Reviving the issue
B. Sounding incredibly smarmy for going "Yeah we'd
never do that lol"
You do know they were probably asked about it and this was their answer right? Rarely do people just announce things without first being asked to give their opinion.

["No. Never. Never. No," was Warhammer Online producer Carrie Gouskos' matter-of-fact response when asked by Eurogamer whether BioWare Mythic would ever implement Real ID. ]

Case and point. SOMEONE ASKED THEM, THEY DID NOT REVIVE THE ISSUE.