Bioware: Next Mass Effect on "The Right Track"

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Saviordd1 said:
Hahaha, yeah, awesome my ass.

Mass Effect 3's ending (And overall "GAHH WHAT THE FUCK"ness) has completely turned me off to the series. I don't know what it is, but I can't even get myself to play ME1 or ME2 now (Games that until recently were on my top 5 favorite games ever); that's how badly I feel burned by ME3.

Unless Mass Effect 4 is actually a complete rewrite of Mass Effect 3 with a great ending, great writing and a personal apology in the shape of a bucket of cookies and a refund for ME3 I have little interest in what they want to do next.

Fuck you Bioware. (Or at least the team that does ME, Dragon Age can still be redeemed).
And still... Garrus?

OT: I think i'll reserve my excitement for when there's something tangible in front of me. Getting excited over a company's self-hype seems really weird, and borderline insane. It's not like they'd ever go out and say "Hey, guys we're gonna go back to square one because it turns out our project had become absolute shit and we couldn't bring ourselves to look at it anymore".

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Ulquiorra4sama said:
And still... Garrus?
Like I said, ME2 and ME1 were some of my favorite games, I haven't forgotten the good parts totally.

Plus I haven't found a suitable replacement avatar.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Ulquiorra4sama said:
And still... Garrus?
He is the shining angel of the entire franchise. Thus he is an exception. Along with Mordin, Wrex, and Tali.

InevitableFate

May 10, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I think I'm just going to leave this here.

Pretty much sums up all I have to say in regards to the myth that the people who hated the ME3 endings are a "vocal minority"

http://youtu.be/gu731UtTFqo

Also, how does one add the spoilers tag on the forums?
The guy that made a huge video rant about how Citadel wasn't want the audience wanted right before it was released and it turned out to be EXACTLY what the audience wanted?

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
NO!!NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I will only get exited and progressively exited for this game, one I play, finish, re-play and revisit Dragon Age Inquisition. Also, wooo Bioware.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
And still... Garrus?
He is the shining angel of the entire franchise. Thus he is an exception. Along with Mordin, Wrex, and Tali.
Garrus is sort of like an... arch... angel >_>

I'll find the door myself.

Doctor Proctor

Omega-3 Man
Oct 21, 2008
I totally have faith that they'll write a great story and single player experience that I will love and cherish as I have the rest of the series...BUT WHAT'S UP WITH THE MULTIPLAYER?!?! Seriously, I played that mode for a year with my friends and loved every minute of the over 350 hours I dumped into it. I can't wait to see how they follow it up!

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
Hah, after the mess of ME3 (More problems than just the ending, picking up a side quest by running like a retard into people to "eavesdrop" on them to get it? Fucking lame) Also hated the direction since ME2 for a CoD/Gears cover shooter and a shitty attempt at "RPG" elements.

I'll take a look at ME4, but like all their games after DA:O/ME2, it'll be shit.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
So, it'll have at least one kind of tank in it, real exploration, meaningful sidequests, procedurally generated landscapes and multiple possible solutions to singular problems?

Great, because you guys cut all of those things from number three and that's why I'm probably not buying number 4.

Whilst we're at it, real money gambling, let's not be having any of that, although given EA's obsession with it (And it's appearance in Battlefield 4 of all things) I'm not holding much hope.
This a thousand times over. I have extremely low expectations for the future of Bioware in general with what seems to be EA running their franchisees into the ground.

--
OT: I think ME needs to go smaller in scale. Maybe you're part of C-sec? Maybe a salarian STG on a vital intelligence gathering mission? No more directly saving all life, it will only cheapen the story.

But yeah, meaningful exploration and sidequests with multiple solutions to problems is exactly what it needs to be.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
Before Mass Effect 3 was released, Casey Hudson said [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2]:

It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.
Exactly the opposite of what Casey Hudson said turned out to be the case. There are plenty of other quotes like this, where devs claimed things about ME3 that they had to know were untrue, but I can't link you to the long compilation thread of them since Bioware deleted it from their forums (though I have a saved copy of it on my HDD). Anyway, so many promises were broken by the ME3 ending, and then protected under the aegis of "artistic integrity" (as opposed to the regular kind of integrity where you don't lie about your products), that I won't buy into the dev hype in this instance. I'll wait for user reviews of the next Mass Effect game to come out before I remotely consider buying it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah, I will hold for reviews etc, I liked ME3 but found the ending lacking. Not rage inducing, but I certainly felt cheated of what was promised.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Nice to see the team is excited for the project but I'm sure the team that made Hunted: the Demon's Forge got excited too so excuse me if I wait to hop on the hype train until I see the footage myself. And a release date. and a bunch of other things like game play and a plot hook.

I'm mostly skeptical cause I'm a little concerned ME will turn into Assassins Creed where I just don't care anymore. (Although Black Flag looks awesome.)

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Bioware makes awesome claims to build hype without showing a single thing.

History? Repeating? Could very well be.

I'd say I'll wait to see the levels of tears on Steam forums after release as most sites lately just can't be trusted for honest reviews, but it'll no doubt be Origin exclusive so.. what are the Origin forums like?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
TiberiusEsuriens said:
StewShearer said:
"Just saw a early presentation for the next Mass Effect. Good thing you weren't here because you would have Lost... Your... Shit!"
It's good that the rest of the article is there to frame this statement, because if I had read this as a standalone tweet like many people will/did I'm sure the normal reaction is "So what you're telling me is that it's way worse than expected?"
This is exactly what I thought before reading the article. But, after my disappointment with Dragon Age II, Dragon Age: Inquisition is looking really good. So hopefully after the disappointment that was the Mass Effect 3 ending, Mass Effect 4 (or whatever they call it) will also be a turn round in the right direction. Although a turn round in the right direction for me would be they made it more like the original Mass Effect, but I know that's not going to happen.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
It was a presentation... I'm genuinely worried now. Does this just mean we get a Mass Effect 3 with prettier lighting and even less gameplay features? Because that I do not want.

There's a slim chance they'll make it first person... seeing as they use the Frostbite 3 engine. I'll count it as unlikely though, and seeing Bioware's track record of terrible Unreal Engine mods[footnote]ME had a horrible GUI, and DA:O... DA:O wasn't good, but the GUI was just the ultimate insult - just my opinion though, no need to go spreading it around.[/footnote]...

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
*reads title* oh lord why.....this is not going to go well..... *slowly clicks forum link* ..... AAAHHHHHH!

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Dendio said:
Ponyholder said:
Never understood the massive hate over an ending like ME3 received. Looking forward to see what they do with the series from here on out.
Despite the loud minority, the community here voted Me3 game of the year. ;-)

Pretty much sums up all I have to say in regards to the myth that the people who hated the ME3 endings are a "vocal minority"

I'm glad somebody linked that video.

To spoiler tag something simply type spoiler & /spoiler at the beginning and end of what you want to tag and bracket them.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Ishal said:
People already lost their shit with the last Mass Effect game
I really did. I never felt that kind of rage because of a video game before. It took me a long time to get to the acceptance stage.
:p

Dragonbums said:
Dendio said:
Ponyholder said:
Never understood the massive hate over an ending like ME3 received. Looking forward to see what they do with the series from here on out.
Despite the loud minority, the community here voted Me3 game of the year. ;-)

I won't be so blind as to say that there aren't a LOT of people who hated the game, but the keyword in "vocal minority" is "vocal.". I'm not even saying that the people that hated it were a minority, either. If you ask me the balance is indeed much closer to 50-50 than that video would have us believe. But that's just my opinion, personally I don't put faith into any kind of polling data no matter how how said poll is conducted. Personally I think the only way you can accurately determine whether or not the people who hated the game/endings are a vast majority is to literally ask every single person who purchased the game what their opinion on the matter is. People with negative feelings tend to be much more passionate about their feelings.

I could be wrong, of course, but I still think the split is closer to 50-50. Perhaps something like 55% hate vs 45% like/indifferent. Again, this is just my opinion on the matter so take that for all the BS that it's worth. :p

As for how you make spoiler tags:
"["spoiler=(want you want the spoiler tag to say)"]" (What you want inside the spoiler box) "["/spoiler"]"
Just remove all the quotation marks that I used. :3

On a side note since I went ahead and watched that video and the guy really likes to talk about the Indoctrination Theory that he made a couple hour-long videos about, all I'll say is that it creates just as many plot-holes as the literal interpretation of the ending does. Sure, a literal interpretation has a lot of problems with it, but there's just as much evidence against the IT as there is in support of it.