Bioware : No, EA Isn't pulling our Strings.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Lol. This really isn't helping their case in the slightest. It's made my opinion of them go down the toilet a bit more, although I very much doubt they'd gain much from admitting that EA is calling the shots. They've made their bed and now they have to lie in it.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Feh, whatever. Worst case scenario they die a slow death, and someone else will eventually come along and replace them (like how Platinum Games is slowly replacing Capcom with balls-to-the-fucking-wall action games). So long as I can finish my FemShep's story in peace, I'm happy.

And with them talking of revisiting Jade Empire, if they release an updated rerelease of some kind (like the PC version or something) I'll snatch that shit up like Ed, Edd, and Eddy would snatch up jawbreakers.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
See, this is why I can only laugh at people who will to all honesty argue that Biowares recent games are just as good as anything they did before.
Didn't say that. Just pointed out that traditional RPG's are not necessarily better than the new style in any way. A majority of Bioware fans use KotoR as the standard, so I used that as an example. And Baldur's Gate games are not of the standard Bioware quality, they're better. And that was the mistake on my part. I was assuming that you were one of the many that claim that KotoR is the best and deepest game Bioware has ever created.

Baldurs Gate. Ring a bell? Probably does.
Fuck yeah it does. Baldur's Gate > Everything else Bioware has made.

And you will probably dismiss it as outdated, boring, bland, whatever, even though your only experience with the game is 2 minutes of gameplay on youtube, after which you said OH MY GOD MY EYES IT LOOKS SO SHITTY AND COMPLICATED.
Read above and don't be so hasty to judge me.

but its still miles better than any other Bioware game.
You are correct. So much fun to play.

I didnt like KOTOR though, not a big fan of the Star Wars universe tbh, and I did like Mass Effect 2. As a stroll-down-easy-street shooter with occasional RPG elements, that is.
Depends on what you believe is the definition of RPG, but all right. What you believe it to be is irrelevant, so I won't go into that.

But im gonna have to say it, complaining about shallow characters and lackluster story while sporting a Garrus avatar is laughable.
Stop for a moment and use your brain just this once. Garrus is a shallow character and I never claimed the opposite. The only fucking reason I have him as my goddamn avatar is because I already had the name SpaceBat and one of those awful critical miss comics gave me the idea to put Garrus up as my avatar.

You misunderstood what I meant to say, apparently. I never meant to use the Mass Effect series as the standard for deep story and characters. This is just something you, for whatever reason, incorrectly interpreted. What I meant to say is that while it doesn't have complex characters and whatnot, it isn't a level of quality lower than what they usually release as many believe IMO.

As is the "DEY ONLY MAD ONE BAD GAEM!" argument. Dude, the studio has been pumping out shit like "We want CODs audience" for over a year now. Im not gonna judge CODs audience or Bioware on that statement, but if you cant see why people are angry at them either you have been living under a rock this last year, or you are in denial.
Yes, they've been spouting that shit for a while now, but I still refuse to judge them based on those comments alone. If they release another shitty (Singleplayer-based) game like DA2 because of it, THEN I'll complain and lose trust.

My point in the beginning wasn't that they were ALWAYS dishing out games of this quality, but that the quality of their games has stayed the same for a very, very long time (Since NWN). They made a single spectacular series, the rest was just good.

rockhard556

May 6, 2009
SHUTUP BIOWARE now please let me belive it's EA forcing you to not make baldurs gate 3 and that the new KOTOR game being multiplayer is also they're fault

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Well ME3 was always on my "buy pre-owned" list as anything that carries an EA logo is if I want it. I did however blame EA totally for how crap ME2 was compared to the first one, now it just appears the devs went crap...

Project_Omega

Sep 7, 2009
I lost trust when they released DA 2, after the first one which was a complete fiasco, why should you re-release something that was bad, with a different number and a slightly different angle?

That's just my small opinion though, ignore it if you want.

As for the COD audience, it tends to send me into a minor fit of rage, because it is no longer about making the best and most interesting story, with awesome characters and original situations.

It's now about satisfying these chavs/jocks/pricks and making more money, by making the story much more simple, easy to absorb and bland (and make it look like COD, AS MUCH AS FUCKING POSSIBLE).

It has happened with Space Marine too, but it's not like the jocks are going to pick up some actual warhammer models and start getting into the hobby (except a few rare occassions). They all just think its another Gears of War!

And guess what, they are actually Fucking Correct, it looks waaaaay too much like Gears of War.

Because of that, it makes me hate Hipsters less and less everyday.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
People, this is what is called PR. Lie through your teeth to everyone abotu everything, and hope that people don't notice you're talking utter bollocks.

The composer of Dragon Age 2 is on record saying that the game was rushed out to release. Considering that it's the publisher that pretty much always dictates the release date, I find it very hard to believe that Bioware intentionally shoved their game out of the door half-finished.

And don't give me that bullshit about how the game was fine. A finished game isn't released in little over a year with only one city, missing story sections and recycled environments up the wazoo.

Susurrus said:
Unconvinced about the intrinsic quality of ToR, too, but that's another story.

The other thing is: Didn't the lead designer leave in the midst of DA2's development?
Artistic differences perhaps, but if that doesn't smack of a change in the design culture, I'd be very surprised.
Pretty much. I've forgotten his name (will look it up), but I read his online blog regarding the issue. He worked really hard on DA: Origins, and was incredibly proud of how it turned out. Then he saw the direction they wanted to take Dragon Age 2 and decided to bail. He left Bioware not long after because, in his words, they weren't the same company as the one he joined.

That, to me, says it all...
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4982457/1
Brent Knowles

Harb

May 2, 2010
"A man should be judged by his actions, not by his words."

I think this can also be used for a company.

Obviously there is no evil man in Bioware with a red phone to EA headquarters pulling strings, BUT I honestly believe EA significantly bends certain (and also very important) decisions in Bioware regarding games development to their (EA's) business policy.

I don't feel entitled to blame anyone for how more linear, repetitive, less interactive and less RPG-wise Dragon Age 2 turned out (compared to Dragon Age: Origins). However I will be very, VERY careful with anything Bioware will release in the future, no matter how many great games they produced in the past.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Elmoth said:
This is even worse. They admit to to be themselves responsable for their change from respectable rpg developers, to the creators of hollywood action movies, disguised as rpgs.
That was my thought.

Bioware: EA didn't make us crap! We did!

Lord Revan 117

Oct 4, 2011
So are they saying that THEY decided to ruin the Dragon Age franchise, not EA? That's not filling me with confidence.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Lord Revan 117 said:
So are they saying that THEY decided to ruin the Dragon Age franchise, not EA? That's not filling me with confidence.
Yeah, I dread to think what ME3 will be like. ME2 was bad enough when compared to the first. If that wasn't EA's fault either then bioware has apparently just lost it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Did E.A. ask you to say that? I though so.

Lord Revan 117

Oct 4, 2011
cookyy2k said:
Lord Revan 117 said:
Yeah, I dread to think what ME3 will be like. ME2 was bad enough when compared to the first. If that wasn't EA's fault either then bioware has apparently just lost it.
Well in my opinion ME2 wasn't a bad sequel, but taking out the micro management like changing your squad's armour was a bad move. Also they decided to remove the whole planet exploration which gave the first tangible scale. Not just a linear shooting gallery. DA2 was an abomination compared to Origins.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Dragon Age: Origins
-Announced in 2004 and lovingly developed until its release in 2009

EA bought Bioware in 2007.

Dragon Age II
-Announced in 2010. Rushed without any TLC and released in a year.

Yeah, EA sure isn't pulling the strings.