Bioware, Please Make A Plus-Sized Female Dragon Age Character!

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Wait a minute here, hold on.. is this actually what's being said? You want a fictional character be a certain type just so you can cosplay it?

I may be missing something here, but to me that sounds like a silly thing to say. I may not be an expert when it comes to cosplay, but I've seen boys be girls, girls be boys, hell even a freeken cube, I fail to see the problem.
Right, okey, so you can't exactly match the body type or the general look of the character. It is a digital fictional fantasy character people!
I don't know, it just feels like complaining that I can't cosplay a krogan because of it's body type, and they should make a slim one so I can.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Rattja said:
Wait a minute here, hold on.. is this actually what's being said? You want a fictional character be a certain type just so you can cosplay it?

I may be missing something here, but to me that sounds like a silly thing to say. I may not be an expert when it comes to cosplay, but I've seen boys be girls, girls be boys, hell even a freeken cube, I fail to see the problem.
Right, okey, so you can't exactly match the body type or the general look of the character. It is a digital fictional fantasy character people!
I don't know, it just feels like complaining that I can't cosplay a krogan because of it's body type, and they should make a slim one so I can.
To be fair, her other articles have talked about if you're gonna cosplay, go all out and make sure you don't miss any details. It's probably stemming from that mentality more than anything.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
I found it really hard to read this article and comprehend exactly what it was asking for.
Going by the title it wants more 'plus-sized' aka chunky characters which 'everyday women' can physically identify with.
But then it goes into breast size, so perhaps it wants big-titty women, which a lot of modern games have shied away from as they usually get shamed for sexualizing women.
In the end I think they just want options, which I'm fine with.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Silentpony said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Well If you want your comment thread to explode, just mention anything to do with diversity, female cosplay and/or a word that can be misinterpereted easily by people that cannot be arsed to read any more than the heading of an article for their snap-judgement and here we go!
This is going to be fun.
Actually its been pretty calm, all things considered. Mostly people just pointing out Bioware writes war stories involving soldiers and you don't find obese soldiers.
Ignoring the arbitrary realism being invoked here...there are plenty of fat soldiers in real life, and you should have no trouble finding them. The military has quite a serious problem with increasing rates of overweight and obese troops. The problem is not so much that they are unfit (much of their excess weight is muscle mass), but because they are too damn heavy to be dragged out of combat if they are wounded.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
"So I'm left with the conclusion that Bioware should create a plus-sized female character "

Which Bioware?

Mass Effect team:
Bust sizes have been getting bigger from ME1 to ME3 = mission accomplished! (or at least headed there)

Dragon Age team:
Everyone gets a butt flap, and everyone gets unrevealing armor, well, except for Vivian, Iron Bull, and Varric

Synigma said:
... I think the problem comes from the puritan critics ...
Both groups have been getting static, re: Synigma's post.

maninahat said:
The military has quite a serious problem with increasing rates of overweight and obese troops.
Yes, well documented as a concern for a decade or so now.

maninahat said:
The problem is not so much that they are unfit (much of their excess weight is muscle mass), but because they are too damn heavy to be dragged out of combat if they are wounded.
... source? I find this difficult to believe is the biggest concern.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
How about you keep your personal real-life problems separate from our escapist fantasy?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Well, I mean, given EA has access to Star War licensing, perhaps we'll see them make a game with female hutts!

Just saying, it's an open field! I mean, honestly, Dragon Age has got a bit old-hat at this stage, an RPG in the Star Wars universe is something people have wanted for quite a while.

... Assuming it isn't The Tortanic, anyway.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So wait...Liana is considered "plus-sized"...when she has a body that most women would willing commit multiple homicide for?

What?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Redryhno said:
Rattja said:

To be fair, her other articles have talked about if you're gonna cosplay, go all out and make sure you don't miss any details. It's probably stemming from that mentality more than anything.
That mentality ends when you demand for a published work of fiction to meet needs not related to enjoying that work as created. Otherwise, I want to cosplay Kratos, so I should demand that he be made 5'6" and stocky. Cosplay is supposed to imitate, that's it. It is in no position to make demands.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Why should it matter? If you want to cosplay a character just cosplay the character. Having the right figure for it shouldn't matter. It's what you want to do. If people complain about it just tell them to fuck off. I'm skinny and I cosplayed as Rufus last year from Street Fighter.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
well that made zippadedoodah sense. Of course DA outfits are impractical on a large-breasted woman; they're pretty impractical on most women, period. I'd go so far as to say that the majority of high-level cosplay, both male and female, is wildly impractical and/or really uncomfortable on live, breathing humans. See: ridiculous high heels, dragging floaty capes and ribbons, enormous weapons and props that HAVE to be foam or they're impossible to carry..

More and different character types in games, sure. That's just good design. But "ease of cosplay" may be the dumbest argument I've heard for plus size characters.

Brown_Coat117

Oct 22, 2010
Boohoo, I can't do anything that I want without feeling self-conscious about my body, I have no responsibility to deal with my own personal insecurities and demand that other people cater to my every whim, for equality.

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
Goddamn!?!

and here i thought Escapists were free of sjw's and their inclusivity agenda >.>

you guys do realize that if you like to cosplay and like a character you body doesn't even matter?

i mean did this guy http://imgur.com/a/6kE1F

complain about it not having a burly bearded character? no... he GODDAMn COSPLAYED the character he wanted >.>

Ogre

Jul 30, 2015
Really, being fat is one of the least appealing traits a human can have. So, you think that a fat person is right up there with people of love to rape, murder, torture and destroy? Where do we fit in with these traits? What number do we sit at? I need to know. Am I as bad as a terrorist? A serial killer? I guess being judgmental should be right up there to.
This is in response to Takwin's post on the first page. It didn't add to it.

Peace

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Artorius said:
Goddamn!?!

and here i thought Escapists were free of sjw's and their inclusivity agenda >.>

you guys do realize that if you like to cosplay and like a character you body doesn't even matter?

i mean did this guy http://imgur.com/a/6kE1F

complain about it not having a burly bearded character? no... he GODDAMn COSPLAYED the character he wanted >.>
Thank You. Sure there are some people out there that will complain about cosplayers not having the right body for the cosplay but I just tell them to fuck off. A few years ago I cosplayed as the Undertaker from Black Butler and I have a beard which I refuse to shave for any reason. Some people made remarks about how I was cosplaying wrong but I just told them to fuck off.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Karadalis said:
Im sorry but unless bioware decides to turn away from epic war stories and focus on the common day to day live of peasants in the dragon age world a "plus size" character makes no fucking sense.

Tell me.. when was the last time you saw a obese person in the army... marines... navy... airforce?

You cannot save the universe and look like you are clearly out of shape..
July 1, 2015, actually. Buddy of mine is an engineer in the Canadian military, was in Afghanistan for a few years, including stints out in the front line area setting up forward positions. Dude has always been medically considered obese, but always able to pass his physical tests. He used to play on the O-Line in his high school too, back when he was just fat and not ripped under layers of fat, like he is now.

I'll grant he's a freak, but we're talking about Video games - every Protagonist is, almost by definition, a "freak".

Re: The Article

As I get older, I want more diverse characters in my games. And not just in body shapes - I want more homosexual characters, more trans characters, more "foreign" characters. I want games that give me a chance to explore different things through those character, not merely to look at them in the game. I've lost interest in mere shoot'em'ups like Doom and to a lesser degree, Call of Duty and Battlefields, nor fighting games like the Tekkens and Mortal Kombat's. (I never really liked them in the first place, but I was far more willing to play them a decade ago) And games that don't focus on a narrative are games I have little to no motivation to play. (with the exception of some mobile games, which have no story but are fun wastes of time on the bus to and from work) I've been attracted to Bioware in particular because it's been willing to blend the fighting/shooting/etc. with some genuinely interesting and engaging explorations of characters who are vastly different from me and my experiences. So if Bioware wants to make more characters like that, I'm all for it.

I'm just wary of how to ask for it. Tone police time! There's a very fine line between advocating for something and demanding for something. I see this article as more demanding than the author perhaps intends it to be. Mostly because it seems like the author is asking for something... she already pretty much has? As others have noted, this is the author:
And while I don't doubt that she has trouble with some cosplay of Bioware (Dragon Age) characters... it doesn't quite have the same impact as if the author looked like this:

http://d4bfb328369ac784c3f9-f5ae0e3e704fa6b24707960067360d1b.r35.cf1.rackcdn.com/Plus-size-red-twist-onepiece__68551_zoom.jpg

The first image, to me, looks like a significant portion of video game women in the games I generally play - the Fallouts, the Elder Scrolls, the Mass Effects and the Dragon Ages. Curvier, perhaps, and with arguably larger breasts, but not too much different than any of the female characters in those games. The second image is the sort of image you simply don't see in Bioware games very often, if at all - I picture her for any character at all just based on her body shape. Image one says "I can't cosplay Dragon Age characters!" my reaction is "Aww, muffin." Image two says the same thing, I tend to be far more sympathetic.

But if the person in Image One is asking for something that will directly benefit Image Two as well as Image One? I'm supportive.

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
There's no reason why a dude who's 6'5" can't dress up as a Hobbit. So what if you have boobs that are bigger than what's considered canon? Hell, I'm sure most guys would think that's an improvement.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Nieroshai said:
Redryhno said:
Rattja said:

That mentality ends when you demand for a published work of fiction to meet needs not related to enjoying that work as created. Otherwise, I want to cosplay Kratos, so I should demand that he be made 5'6" and stocky. Cosplay is supposed to imitate, that's it. It is in no position to make demands.
I never said that it was right, but there's some diehard purist cosplayers out there that demand you to be almost the exact body type and size of the character you're cosplaying as in addition to having the right outfit and makeup to emulate them, otherwise you're just "posing" and not "cosplaying". Also staying in character to make Disneyland jealous.

And going by one of her articles a while back, Liana is similar in mindset when it comes to this. Just trying to give perspective.