BioWare Refuses to Deny PS3 Mass Effect

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioWare Refuses to Deny PS3 Mass Effect

Is BioWare working on a PS3 version of Mass Effect? Nobody knows, but according to company founder Dr. Ray Muzyka, they're not not working on it.

One might draw the analogy that Mass Effect is to the PS3 what Metal Gear Solid 4 is to the Xbox 360 - a critically-acclaimed hit title exclusive to the competition that owners of the respective consoles would just die to have for themselves. Though Hideo Kojima has caved in - sort of - announcing at this year's E3 that he'd be bringing the Metal Gear series (if not specifically MGS4) to the Xbox, BioWare remains tight-lipped about the possibility of releasing Mass Effect on platforms other than the PC and 360.

So tight-lipped, in fact, that BioWare founder and CEO Dr. Ray Muzyka refused to quash rumors about a PS3 port once and for all, even when directly pressed about it by CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222086?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS] at last week's GamesCom:

[blockquote]When quizzed on why the developer chose not to bring the series to PS3, Muzyka said: "I think a more accurate way to frame it is to say we've announced we're developing Mass Effect for 360 and PC. Right from the beginning we said we wanted to deliver Mass Effect on the 360. Right now all we've announced is we're working on 360 and PC."[/blockquote]

When pressed on whether or not this meant the possibility of a PS3 release was out of the question, Muzyka was adamant. "We haven't announced anything on that front," he repeated - twice, in fact.

Okay, let's give him the benefit of the doubt here: It's never a good idea to directly answer any questions like that. Whether true or false, answering along the lines of "no comment" is always the wisest way to go, because if you have a habit of flatly denying when something isn't true, a "no comment" suddenly becomes an obvious "yes."

So this isn't necessarily indicative of anything. On the other hand, the phrasing sounds a little bit suspicious. If Muzyka wanted to say "no comment," he could have just said that. Instead, "we haven't announced anything" just seems like an odd way of saying it, don't you think?

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Would be kind of cool if they released it on the PS3. It's a really good game, no reason to keep it from PS3 owners ^^

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I'm gonna say it won't happen, but if it did, I'd hope they'd port ME1 over, otherwise a lot of the cool things about ME2 won't matter (decisions carrying on and whatnot).

EDIT: Are we talking about ME1 or 2? I just kind of assumed 2.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Well, I do hope that all PS3 owners get a chance to play the game eventually. However, with Mass Effect 2 on the horizon, bringing the original game up now seems kind of silly.

If it does come out, I hope it's released near or alongside Mass Effect 2; to the average PS3 owner, that would be like receiving a big gift basket from BioWare, complete with fruit, bath soaps, and a giant card that says "We're sorry" in suggestive handwriting.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
It would help the people who get Mass Effect 2 for the PS3 get the full experience. Bioware would win even more respect from me if they do carry it over.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
It would help the people who get Mass Effect 2 for the PS3 get the full experience. Bioware would win even more respect from me if they do carry it over.

EDIT: Dang, double post. Sorry!

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Bioware wont even give us a straight answer on if our Mass Effect romances will return as full joinable team NPCs in ME2, so this doesnt surprise me at all.

I think its mandatory for employees at Bioware to get sadistic pleasure from torturing people mentally. If I didnt love their games so much, Id hate them for it. As it stands however, Ill take it like a ***** if I have to.

Nov 28, 2007
I'm all for it if, and only if, they port over Mass Effect 1. If they don't, they shouldn't even bother porting the others until they do.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
Well, I do hope that all PS3 owners get a chance to play the game eventually. However, with Mass Effect 2 on the horizon, bringing the original game up now seems kind of silly.
I thought so too. What would they do, release both at the same time?
I already played the first on the PC and I was just going to base my decision on what bonuses will be better: the PC carryover from ME1 or the Dragon Age bonuses for the ps3.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
If it gets released, it's likely it'd be a double pack of some sort.

Taniquel

Dec 9, 2008
I hope that Mass Effect does get on the PS3. There is a distinct shortage of RPG games on that console (compared to the 360 or PS2). Right now, I refuse to buy a console that has no games that I want to play; in essence a glorified blu-ray player. If a few games that I want to play come out, then I will be purchasing a PS3 slim when it comes out.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Littaly said:
Would be kind of cool if they released it on the PS3. It's a really good game, no reason to keep it from PS3 owners ^^
That's what was said about Gears Of War. And look where that still is.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Journalist: So, will we see a PS3 release for Mass Effect?
Bioware: Well maybe.
Journalist: So, you don't deny it's a possibility?
Bioware: I refuse to deny it! *bangs desk*

That's what was said about Gears Of War. And look where that still is.
On the PC as well as 360? ;)