BioWare Releases Dragon Age Character Creator, Social Site

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare Releases Dragon Age Character Creator, Social Site

BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] has unleashed the Dragon Age: Origins Character Creator and its new Social Network, giving players the chance to generate and share characters that can be used in the upcoming epic RPG.

To get started, log in to the new Dragon Age: Origins [http://social.bioware.com/login.php] community, various forums and other content. A Dragon Age Wiki is available, as are options for groups, photo albums and more.

While you're there, you may as well grab the new Dragon Age: Origins Character Creator, a 325 meg download featuring a powerful new trailer for the game as well as the character creator. (You can also pick it up directly EA [http://files.bioware.com/dragonage_cc_dl/DragonAgeOriginsCharacterCreator_en.exe] and share it with your fellow Dragon Age fans.

What's the point, you ask? Not a lot, really; I can just about guarantee it'll take you longer to download the Character Creator than to actually create a character. But once it's uploaded, you'll be given links to a description of your character's background, origin video, wallpapers and more. You'll also be given access to the Lucky Stone, an old ring that grants +1 to each attribute when it's worn.

I've already given the character creator a try - I'd never ask you to do something I'm not willing to do myself - and this is what I've come up with: Faren the Simpleton [http://social.bioware.com/playerprofile.php?char_id=1255&display=character&nid=2286887389&game=dragonage1_pc], a dwarf commoner whose mighty beard can't hide the fact that he's been hit in the head once too often. Oh, you think you can do better? Take your best shot, then post the link!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Ah, yes. I downloaded it. A bit disappointing, I must say. From what was said about it, I expected all this being able to change pretty much everything about my character, but all I got was the normal features. But still, the game looks great, so I'll forgive Bioware...

This time.

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
I think it's a good idea for game designers to do because it raises interest and if the character creator thing they do is decent enough then it may put people who are on the fence into a position where they would buy the game.

Sparecash

Dec 24, 2008
Cool idea but can you use the character you create in the game?
If you can, then what about if you aren't going to play it on PC?

Regardless, I can't wait till this game comes out.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Sparecash said:

Yes, you can use the character create. I'm not sure about using it for the Xbox or PS3 though. I cannot see why not.

Sparecash

Dec 24, 2008
Gaderael said:
Sparecash said:

Yes, you can use the character create. I'm not sure about using it for the Xbox or PS3 though. I cannot see why not.
Oh alright cool, thanks.
Definitely going to check this out then

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
I just made my character, I hope he doesn't look like a right pillock!

Can't wait to get a comp upgrade so I can play the gamme all pretty like. XD

SeVIIn

Oct 14, 2009
Haha I just posted about this over at my blog. The tool is pretty nice I love that we get free DLC by uploading a character.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
There is an option to upload the character to BioWare's site, but the login is borked atm. I'm guessing that when you sign into the EA thing on your console, that's what I used to get into my DAO account, you'll be able to download your characters. This is all a guess, but I bet I'm spot on.

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
FFS, I can't get this stupid thing to work, every time I download it I get this:
"NSIS ERROR
Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media..."
I've downloaded it three times now, with two diffrent browsers and bioware ain't helping. Anyone got a clue?

To tell you the truth, considering how many bugs I see reported on this, the game has gone from a "Sure Buy" to a "Not until I see reviews" in my opinion. I hate games that don't work, I hate them so much.

His_Ryanness

Jul 28, 2009
asiepshtain: I had the same problem, then tried downloading the installer from another computer and transferring it over. Works fine now.