BioWare Releases Dragon Age: Inquisition Class Details, Screenshots

LadyLightning

Jul 11, 2013
roseofbattle said:
Mages wield their mental focus to create deadly attacks of fire and ice, weaken opponents for teammates, and heal allies. Mages have the chance to choose the Knight Enchanter specialization:

"Among the Circles of Magi, only a few mages have the strength of will necessary to focus their energy inward. Wrapped in protective magics and wielding blades of arcane force, the Knight Enchanters are rare, but inspiring sights as they lead the charge into enemy ranks."
Shame. Yet another game that has no lightning spells. Origins had lightning spells. Why take them away? I am disappoint.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
bug_of_war said:
El Luck said:
ok thats nice, now how about instead of talking about it, you start fucking showing it. Talk is cheap Bioware, and yet you've somehow got yourself one hell of a bar tab.
Remember when they pre-maturely did something the last time? DA2 came out and nearly everyone jumped up and down because they go a game that (Some of us (me included) actually liked it) was really only worth 40 dollars. The game is coming out in October and we already have 2 trailers, more are bound to come and show even more things such as almost fully polished gameplay, so be patient.
Except I am being patient, me pointing out that all they have done is talk rather than show us stuff like actual gameplay is not impatience. Yes we've had 2 trailers, one of which was an announcement trailer which looked pretty cool, the other one however, the one that gave us its release date, showed me nothing and that was meant their gameplay trailer apparently. So yeah, if that's impatience...fuck it, I'm impatient, I want to see stuff rather and here them talk about it. Yeah its out in October, that gives em roughly 5 months and a few weeks, that's not really that long to promote a AAA game.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
ecoho said:
http://youtu.be/AAAEUFjq2K4

this is the real game play shown at pax prime last year think of it as you wish it is alpha
"This area is the biggest area in the game, it's bigger than DA2 combined"

He says that as if we were supposed to be impressed...

I like how the attacks seem to have weight behind them and I hope that stays in the final release, rather than that cartoony fast paced crap from DA2. I may consider getting this, after I see some reviews. I don't want to fall into the trap like I did last time.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
El Luck said:
Except I am being patient, me pointing out that all they have done is talk rather than show us stuff like actual gameplay is not impatience. Yes we've had 2 trailers, one of which was an announcement trailer which looked pretty cool, the other one however, the one that gave us its release date, showed me nothing and that was meant their gameplay trailer apparently. So yeah, if that's impatience...fuck it, I'm impatient, I want to see stuff rather and here them talk about it. Yeah its out in October, that gives em roughly 5 months and a few weeks, that's not really that long to promote a AAA game.
Think of it this way, how much do we see of big blockbuster films before they're released? How early do we get trailers? Guardians of the Galaxy is coming out before DA:I is and we've seen a lot less of that movie than we've seen of DA:I.

Also, there's like half an hour of gameplay on youtube, someone linked it earlier.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Waaghpowa said:

DA2 may have been a smaller game than Origins, but it wasn't the smallest game either. It's not like it was tiny or anything.

Talking sheer volume I would say DA2 is probably bigger than ME2.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
daibakuha said:
Waaghpowa said:

DA2 may have been a smaller game than Origins, but it wasn't the smallest game either. It's not like it was tiny or anything.
Origins is hardly a reference here. The outdoor areas of Origins were all very small and confined. And, according to their own statements, BioWare knows that.

If they want to impress me though they need to say that their world will be bigger than Skyrim.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
daibakuha said:
Waaghpowa said:

Talking sheer volume I would say DA2 is probably bigger than ME2.
Considering DA2 took place in the same 6 or so tiny maps, with different areas blocked off to give the illusion of variation, it's still hardly impressive to say that one map is larger than all of DA2 combined.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
CloudAtlas said:
daibakuha said:
Waaghpowa said:

Origins is hardly a reference here. The outdoor areas of Origins were all very small and confined. And, according to their own statements, BioWare knows that.

If they want to impress me though they need to say that their world will be bigger than Skyrim.
I'm guessing this was sarcastic, but either way, it's not going to be true. Bioware doesn't make open-world titles (and for the better).

Wizardly-K9

Apr 19, 2014
Wow. Like seriously... Bioware has one of the snakiest, douchiest fanbases I've ever seen. Even the COD fanboys and all their gun barrel-felatiating ways show more respect. I don't know how Bioware puts up with this shit.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
ecoho said:
http://youtu.be/AAAEUFjq2K4

this is the real game play shown at pax prime last year think of it as you wish it is alpha

I like how the attacks seem to have weight behind them and I hope that stays in the final release, rather than that cartoony fast paced crap from DA2. I may consider getting this, after I see some reviews. I don't want to fall into the trap like I did last time.
he was actually asked about that later in the panel, that included all the DLC for the game and its actually larger then any two zones in origins (so bigger then the deep roads and the fade/mage tower combined) and considering they are bringing the top down tactical back for everyone you can play the game your way while those of us who liked the DA2 combat can play ours.

As a side note I still find DA2 to be a good game just not a great game, think about it if it was called anything but Dragon Age 2 it would have been a good game(yes I know the respawning enemies from nowhere are a problem)

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Ferisar said:
CloudAtlas said:
daibakuha said:
Waaghpowa said:

I'm guessing this was sarcastic, but either way, it's not going to be true. Bioware doesn't make open-world titles (and for the better).
No, it's not. BioWare made a statement some time ago along the lines of being impressed by Skyrim, the scope, and learning from that... or something like that.

Also, there's a wide area in between open world à la Skyrim and sometimes ridiculously small areas à la Dragon Age.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
El Luck said:
5 months and a couple a weeks is plenty a time to promote a triple A game. Hell, that's a bit over a quater of the time it took them to make DA2. So yeah, you're impatient, the second trailer showed some game play and gave more information about the story, and your getting annoyed that they've not done more? You gotta prepare the food before you can cook it, and even after that you gotta chew before you swallow mate.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
CloudAtlas said:
Also, there's a wide area in between open world à la Skyrim and sometimes ridiculously small areas à la Dragon Age.
Yeah, sure. But I'm guessing we're going to stick with "large open area as the backdrop" and "contained areas" for most else.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
So Bioware.
As I keep spouting this out on this lovely site, I must ask you again.

Will I be able ... to do this?

My dual-wielding warrior, it is a major point for me.
So will I or not?
Because I will love it if I can, if not ... well the game will just be worse in my eyes.

EDIT: Okay coming back from a google search, apparently it was confirmed a while back.
My heart screams joyfully, yet my mind remains sceptical ... prove my mind wrong Bioware, prove it wrong!

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
bug_of_war said:
El Luck said:
5 months and a couple a weeks is plenty a time to promote a triple A game. Hell, that's a bit over a quater of the time it took them to make DA2. So yeah, you're impatient, the second trailer showed some game play and gave more information about the story, and your getting annoyed that they've not done more? You gotta prepare the food before you can cook it, and even after that you gotta chew before you swallow mate.
You've got a funny idea of what getting annoyed is. I want them to show me things, not constantly talk, as I said, talk is cheap.

Also that game play trailer showed me only 2 things, one of which was never made clear. Firstly that you can cast spells. Well seeming as how its a Bioware fantasy RPG I kinda figured that one out without watching the trailer, because lets be honest the chances of Bioware breaking the mould are few and far between.
Secondly, there's possibly dodge mechanics in the game or a class has dodge abilities or hell it could have even been a cut scene for all I know, either way its still not telling me much. And even then I can't trust the information that trailer is giving me about the game play because it was a touched up ingame cinematic, no UI to be seen.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
AntiChri5 said:
From what i have heard, restricted to one specialization but it will have a greater impact on the story then in Origins and DA2 (which really won't be hard).
Hell yes! I've been waiting for that since Origins.

I never understood the 'two specialization' thing. It simply dilutes who your character is and thus limits both roleplaying and replayability. In a game with 4 mage specializations (only two of which are focused on actually being a mage and casting spells, and then in very, very different ways) having two just feels like getting the super munchkin card in Munchkin.

What it seems like they're going for here is each specialization representing a distinct playstyle, which is perfect. The possibility of it actually having a roleplaying effect is the icing on the cake.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
El Luck said:
You've got a funny idea of what getting annoyed is. I want them to show me things, not constantly talk, as I said, talk is cheap.

Also that game play trailer showed me only 2 things, one of which was never made clear. Firstly that you can cast spells. Well seeming as how its a Bioware fantasy RPG I kinda figured that one out without watching the trailer, because lets be honest the chances of Bioware breaking the mould are few and far between.
Secondly, there's possibly dodge mechanics in the game or a class has dodge abilities or hell it could have even been a cut scene for all I know, either way its still not telling me much. And even then I can't trust the information that trailer is giving me about the game play because it was a touched up ingame cinematic, no UI to be seen.
And as I said, they have 5 more months to show more. Look at COD and Assassin's Creed, both yearly titles that really don't show much until 6 months till it's release, but once they open the gates, the flood comes along with interviews where they talk about things that have yet to be previewed. Yes talk is cheap, but when the still have a little bit less than half a year to show me more I sit back and wait and see, I don't sneer in their direction and scold them for talking about their game.

As for the second trailer, I thought it was a decent trailer. It showed the graphics off, showed some (probable) beta footage of in game game play. One thing that I find funny is that a lot of Bioware fans scream for a great story and always say game play is second (see Mass Effect 1), so it's odd to see someone getting pissed off that the game play itself was minor in terms of the story line they were getting across in the second trailer.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
bug_of_war said:
El Luck said:

And as I said, they have 5 more months to show more. Look at COD and Assassin's Creed, both yearly titles that really don't show much until 6 months till it's release, but once they open the gates, the flood comes along with interviews where they talk about things that have yet to be previewed. Yes talk is cheap, but when the still have a little bit less than half a year to show me more I sit back and wait and see, I don't sneer in their direction and scold them for talking about their game.

As for the second trailer, I thought it was a decent trailer. It showed the graphics off, showed some (probable) beta footage of in game game play. One thing that I find funny is that a lot of Bioware fans scream for a great story and always say game play is second (see Mass Effect 1), so it's odd to see someone getting pissed off that the game play itself was minor in terms of the story line they were getting across in the second trailer.
First off. Sneering? What?

The reason I'm not fussed about the story is because I know Bioware can deliver, yes they've had some slip ups in the past but overall they can tell a good story. All I need is the premise and that'll do me fine, the rest I can find out about in the game.

Gameplay however I want to see the combat mechanics, and the dialogue choices, because those 2 are the 2 things that'll (hopefully) make up to 95% of the game. In terms of dialogue I really want to see a good system for a change, not the one that was in DA2, where you generally got three choices, one angry, one sarcastic and one heroic, and even then what was written on the three choices had very little chance of being what your character said.
With the combat, I want to see how it flows, I want to see the classes in action, how they'll work, how the spells work and how the healing works, I want to see if it'll be like Origins with the enemies placed about so you had to be strategic otherwise you'd likely die and have to start again, or will it be like DA2 where you'll have a few placed around but the majority will come out of nowhere and there wont be much going in terms of strategy.

Also you find it funny that I was expecting to see game play in a game play trailer? well glad to know you've got a great sense of humour there. Also stop trying to guess my mood, your not good at it.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So, how come the mage looks like a flamboyant pirate?

Other than that, color me interested.

Capatcha: it hurts
Considering that I thought that DA:O was meh and only played the demo for DA2, for me, no. Other people though...